PDA

View Full Version : First AT Hike, Seem Reasonable?

riscphree
10-28-2009, 02:33
My friend and I are doing our first AT hike soon and I just wanted to see if this seemed reasonable.

I'm trying to decide on a schedule and I'd like to go from Springer Mtn. to the North Carolina border in 6-7 days. Does that seem like a decent time frame?

Maddog
10-28-2009, 04:52
it can be done. :)

Lone Wolf
10-28-2009, 05:44
I'm trying to decide on a schedule and I'd like to go from Springer Mtn. to the North Carolina border in 6-7 days. Does that seem like a decent time frame?
yes. it's a good time frame

nitewalker
10-28-2009, 07:36
thats a good time frame but unless your in really good shape your not going to get there, just sayin.....slow down and take 8 or 9 days, its worth it!!

Blissful
10-28-2009, 10:26
Agree take your time, but you do have youth on your side. :)

garlic08
10-28-2009, 10:43
It's only about 80 miles. If you have decent weather and can actually get out and hike most of the day, every day, no problem. If you like to lie around until noon and stop by four pm, maybe not, though. If you take three days off at Neels Gap, maybe not. And you didn't mention when you were starting. If you start in late March or April, you should have good enough weather and long enough days to make the miles. Best of luck.

GeneralLee10
10-28-2009, 12:04
Sounds good, In Oct I walked Springer to Dicks Creek Gap in about 5 days (20 lb Pack w/food). That is only about 8 or so miles south of the line. I did not stop and hangout just walked all day stop for pics that's it. I would say you could do it but if your not in shape you will be hurting by the 3rd day.

riscphree
10-28-2009, 13:53
Thanks guys. It's not a race, so I think we'll take more time to enjoy the scenery, say maybe 8-9 days.

bigcranky
10-28-2009, 13:57
My hiking partner and I took 8 days to walk from Blue Ridge Gap to AFSP, though we did the Approach Trail on the last day, which added 9 miles. This was a comfortable pace, we thought.

tagg
10-28-2009, 15:20
I did my first AT hike at the beginning of Sept. from Springer to Deep Gap, NC. I started Saturday before lunch and got to the GA/NC border mid-morning on Friday, so it took 7 days and I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. I was definitely hurting by day 3, though.

Rain Man
10-28-2009, 18:02
It's about 72 miles as I recall and 10 miles a day is perfectly do-able with enough daylight hours.

You might want to check with the Georgia AT Club, a great bunch who are very helpful with such questions, up-to-date info, and advice.

Don't forget, you can't conveniently get off the trail at the GA/NC border, so you'll have to go into NC to Deep Gap or backtrack into GA.

Rain:sunMan