PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Section Hike Gear List

Hooch
10-28-2009, 10:09
Alrighty, so Dancer and I are coming down to the wire before our Maryland Section hike next week. Today is my last day off before we leave for Harpers Ferry after I get off work Monday night. I thought I'd post my gear list here to see if anyone has any thoughts, ideas, etc for it. I alwas like looking at folks' gear lists and playing aroudn with it to help make refinements. I've changed mine around so much in the last 2 years that it's nowhere near what I used when I first started backpacking. Anyway, here ya go:

Pack
ULA Catalyst
Giant Ziploc Bag (Pack Liner)
JRB Pack Cover/Gear Hammock

Shelter
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
Speer Winter Tarp
5' Tree Huggers
Whoopie Slings
Tarp Stakes

Sleeping Insulation/Comfort
Speer Top Blanket III with 1oz Overfill
Speer SnugFit Underquilt
Therm-a-Rest Pillow

Cooking/Water
Trail Designs Caldera Keg-F
Long Handle Sea To Summit Titanium Spoon
12oz Denatured Alcohol in Mt. Dew Bottle
Bic Lighter
1L Gatorade Bottle
Platypus 2+ Container
ULA Amigo Pro Gravity Filter

Carried Clothing
REI Sahara Zip-Off Pants
REI Sahara LS Tee
2 Extra Pairs Darn Tough Socks
Extra Pair Undies
North Face 100 Wt. Fleece Zip-Up Sweater
North Face Fleece Watchcap
REI Down Jacket
Dri-Ducks Rain Jacket and Pants
2 Bandanas
Crocs

Worn Clothing
REI Sahara Zip-Off Pants
REI SS Tee
Darn Tough Socks
Dunham Hiking Boots
Old Olive Cravat (It's a Marine thing, you wouldn't understand. Thanks, Bearpaw.)
Hammock Forums Hat
Bandana

Miscellaneous
Rat Izula Knife
Toilet Paper
Toothbrush/Toothpaste
Travel Size Gold Bond Powder
Toilet Paper
Wet Ones (Dried. Does that make them Dry Ones?)
Head Lamp
Camera
Mini-Tripod
Duct Tape
Trekking Poles
1 oz Bottle Campsuds
Camp Towel
Appalachian Pages for Maryland Section
ID/Money

First Aid Kit
2 6x7cm Tegaderm
2 3x4" Telfa
Moleskin
Assorted Band-aids
4 Packs Triple Antibiotic Ointment
5 Alcohol Prep Pads
5 Betadine Prep Pads
1 Pr Nitrile Gloves
1 Vial Mastisol
Ibuprofen
2 Safety Pins
Finger Nail Clippers
Purell Hand Sanitizer

That's everything, except food and water. I haven't weighed everything. As a matter of fact, I haven't weighed anything. I really don't care about numbers, I just know it feels comfortable on my back and that's all that matters. Y'all have fun with the gear list. Dancer and I will post a trip report and pics after we get back. We've been looking forward to this hike for a while now and can't wait!

Blissful
10-28-2009, 10:40
I'd get rid of half your first aid kit. Duct tape (get the good stuff and it will hold up) replaces moleskin. DOn't need the betadine or alcohol pads, mastisol, glvoes (?), fingernail clippers (trim your nails good before you leave).

Don't need campsuds

Aqua mira works good, but use what you want

You have 2 tees and two pairs of convertible pants listed. Need only one of each. I'd check the weather to see if you will need a down jacket then. Might be overkill. I just took my Montbell synthetic jacket.

Rope and bear bag set up?

Jester2000
10-28-2009, 11:42
Hello! I, too would bag the extra shirt and pants, and because I'm a disgusting person I'd also lose the extra underwear.

As for the filter, I'm concerned that you might not find a large enough water source this time of year to use it properly, which would mean having to contaminate your gatorade bottle to scoop water (and then you wouldn't be able to purify the bottle).

We have been getting a fair amount of rain lately, though, so water might not be an issue. I would at least consider carrying a chemical backup, though.

As for everything else, if you're comfortable it looks good to me. I like carrying some rope of some sort, because I always feel like I'll have a use for it (and often do).

But why would you carry dry WetOnes?

Oh, and one more thing: I'm a big advocate of never weighing your pack.

Hooch
10-28-2009, 11:51
Thanks for the advice and comments Blissful and Jester. I always enjoy reading the advice y'all dispense, it's appreciated.

Blissful, I dropped the prep pads and moleskin, but kept the gloves. Never know when I may need to treat someone besides me or Dancer and I ain't into bloodborne pathogen exposure. :eek:

Jester, I carry the dry WetOnes to clean up with a little in camp each night. I carry them dry so they're lighter weight and rehydrate them with a little warm water. Hope to get a chance to pop by The Outfitter while we're in Harpers Ferry to say hi. See ya there. :D

Hooch
10-28-2009, 11:52
And I added 40' of cord for a bear bag. I'm spoiled by the bear cables in NC and forgot to put it on my list. :rolleyes:

Jester2000
10-28-2009, 12:59
Definitely stop by! If I'm not at the Outfitter during working hours I'm on the second floor of the General Store on the lower street across from the train station.

If there are any last minute items you'll need and you're going to arrive after the Outfitter closes (at 6), let me know -- I live right next door.

Hooch
10-28-2009, 13:03
Definitely stop by! If I'm not at the Outfitter during working hours I'm on the second floor of the General Store on the lower street across from the train station.

If there are any last minute items you'll need and you're going to arrive after the Outfitter closes (at 6), let me know -- I live right next door.I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks. Looking forward to meeting you, Jester.