PDA

View Full Version : what's more important to you?

crazy chicken
10-28-2009, 20:17
What's more important to you, a partner who supports your dreams, or a partner who has the same dreams?

babbage
10-28-2009, 20:25
Someone who is not too sensitive or does not have adamant opinions. These things are important. Dreams are individual in my opinion - but the end result should be the same. My current partner is the best I have ever had. Always ready to go and willing to do it any way that it comes at us. We like to play it by ear and forego all the plans and arrangements that can stifle the natural flow of a journey. In two years we have bonded through our experiences.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I know a partner is only temporary. Two paths that come together for a while and then go their separate ways. Enjoying it while I got is what I focus on when thoughts of our inevitable parting enter my mind.
Friendship is a sweet thing.

Deadeye
10-28-2009, 20:48
Support. Having the same dreams could be boring.

Phreak
10-28-2009, 20:58
My wife doesn't share my dreams but she supports me in everything I do.

Schuetzen
10-28-2009, 21:23
My wife knew I was crazy when we got married almost 46 years ago, she still supports my crazy dreams. A thru hike is OK with her as long as she does not nave to go.

garlic08
10-28-2009, 21:29
Support. Having the same dreams could be boring.

I have to agree with this. That was my first thought, too. My wife and I made one thru hike together, and we've done several separately, each supporting the other. The support means more to us than the dreams. As it turns out, we have different dreams and different reasons to hike, and that's great. Almost 30 years together, been hiking seriously about half of that.

Petr
10-28-2009, 21:47
Always ready to go and willing to do it any way that it comes at us.

I hate to sully a heartfelt post, but somebody had to...

Jofish
10-28-2009, 23:42
Well if they have the same dreams they're likely to be supportive and understanding, now aren't they?

warraghiyagey
10-28-2009, 23:46
What's more important to you, a partner who supports your dreams, or a partner who has the same dreams?
If you have this question. . . you don't have a problem. . . .

fredmugs
10-29-2009, 08:39
Great question. The first time I section hiked the AT I reached the conclusion that I needed to get divorced. I gotta go with support as well.

kanga
10-29-2009, 08:59
support

10 characters....

Lone Wolf
10-29-2009, 09:00

neither......

Jonnycat
10-29-2009, 09:33
Support schmupport - I just want a sandwich!

ShoelessWanderer
10-29-2009, 10:01
Great question. The first time I section hiked the AT I reached the conclusion that I needed to get divorced. I gotta go with support as well.

First time? Wow! Normally it takes a few times at least.

I have to agree though, support is WAY more important.

Blissful
10-29-2009, 11:41
Both......

crazy chicken
10-29-2009, 18:06
I have to agree with this. That was my first thought, too. My wife and I made one thru hike together, and we've done several separately, each supporting the other. The support means more to us than the dreams. As it turns out, we have different dreams and different reasons to hike, and that's great. Almost 30 years together, been hiking seriously about half of that.

I would agree with this, too. Maintaining your individuality makes you more interesting partners, and support is important to maintain it.