PDA

View Full Version : Wide Sleeping Bag

waldick
10-28-2009, 21:11
I'm looking for a wider sleeping bag than my current Kelty Light YearXP 20. Wheni zip it up i have almost no roo for my arms next to me...

Any way i'm looking for a wider bag about the same rating and weight.

i would appreciate input.

rpenczek
10-28-2009, 21:19
Three come to mind:

Big Agnes (research their site for the model you like)
Mont-Bel - expensive (research their site)
Marmot Sawtooth extra wide or Trestles extra wide (down - sawtooth, syn - trestles)

BigCat
10-28-2009, 23:05
I second the Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide. Love that bag.

The Will
10-29-2009, 00:09
Feathered Friends makes a wide variety of shapes and sizes of bags including rectangular and semi-rectangular models.

snaplok
10-29-2009, 00:22
I have to second the Montbell, which is pricey, but not the pricest out there. I have a UL Super Stretch #3 30 degree which I got for $250 or so. Weights 23oz and because it stretches in ALL directions it allows me sit up cross legged. I hate to say but I don't think I'll ever buy another brand of sleeping bag unless Montbell decides to stop making these and I'll end up buying a few more on the spot.

Now that my 11 year old son has taken a shine to backpacking, his first real down sleeping bag will be a Montbell Super Stretch, but may not the 800 fill one. He can carry the weight. :D

All this by the way is my own humble opinion. I've been backpacking since I was 6, and this works for me, but will not work for everyone.

daddytwosticks
10-29-2009, 07:31
Just how "wide" are you? I'm not that wide but do move around alot in my sleep, plus I'm a bit claustrophobic. I love my 6'6" Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. Plenty of room and very warm. :)

barefoot
10-29-2009, 10:05
I have a Big Anges Pomer Hoit that I'll sell you for $175. Its a zero degree down bag. Retails for over $400.

waldick
10-29-2009, 10:31
well, i'm not that big... 5'11" and 215lbs
I like to sleep on my side and be able to move my arms around, which was not a problem in the past, because it was not that cold and i was able to keep my arms and shoulders out. But on this last trip it got so cold that i wore every bit of clothing i brought, including fleece pants, fleece jacket, wool socks and fleece hat...

So i think it was a combination of my body plus all the clothes. Still i wish i had more room in the bag.

I'll check out the MontBell and Marmot, the BA looks good, but i just bought a Neoair pad, so i don't want to change pads....hmmm might be a nice Christmas present...

ChinMusic
10-29-2009, 12:48
Until I got my Montbell Super Stretch it was nearly impossible for me to zip up my sleeping bags all the way. The other bags were tight around my shoulders. I would roll around and the damn zipper would always seem to get under me. I would dang near panic trying to get to the zipper in the morning. It was actually stressful.

The Montbell Super Stretch is a joy. I can zip it up all the way without worry about not being able to get to the zipper in the morning.

LIhikers
11-01-2009, 21:49
Another vote for the Montbell Ultra Light, Super Stretch, Down Hugger.
Pick one in the temperature rating best for you. I find my 25 degree rated #2 to be warm into the teens. Just know that the regular length is only good for folks to 5'10", you'll need the long.

SMSP
11-03-2009, 01:51
I have the same issue with the need for a wide bag. I had the opportunity to try out a Big Agnes Encampment (15*) at an REI while in the Nashville area. It comes in regular and long. If you look at the long bags,they tend to be a couple to a few inches wider than the regulars. For me, I will have to be able try out a bag before making the purchase.

SMSP

mudhead
05-14-2010, 05:18
What is the normal life span of the elastic in the stretch bags?

How well does a bag like this work open, like a quilt?