PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering ExtremeLite bags

spirit4earth
10-29-2009, 10:17
I'm looking for feedback about the durability of the fabric these bags are made with. How well do they handle condensation? Does a lot of down poke through?
I'm going to get a WM bag, but I'm not sure whether to get an ExtremeLite bag or one of the microfiber bags. Thanks!

Mocs123
10-29-2009, 10:58
I have a older Ultralite from ~2002-2003 time frame that I have probably spent a couple hundred nights in and the shell fabric has been plenty durable. I have washed the bag a couple of times, but other than that have done nothing to it. I also have a Summerlite from 2005-2006 that has worn well. I do get the occasional piece of down poking through normally at the seams, but nothing to be concerned about. It's nothing like my wife's TNF(yes, I realize that is probably the problem, but she picked it out) jacket with "900" fill down and Pertex Microlight Shell; that jacket leaks down like crazy. As far as down leakage, it is about the same as her Golite Venture or REI Sub Kilo, but probably a bit more than my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 0. Perhaps it is just because I use my WM bags so much but I don't think the DWR on the bags is great. I don't think you would be upset with the down leakage or durability of the Extremelite Shell but if you need a lot of water repellentcy, the Microfiber might be better.

Berserker
10-29-2009, 12:01
I have a Versalite (extremelite shell) and a Caribou (microfiber shell). In my experience the extremelite fabric does allow a little more down leakage. It also is not as water repellant as the microfiber fabric. Usually if I get any condensation on my Caribou I can shake it off in the morning. In contrast, the Versalite typically gets slightly damp from heavy condensation where it gets the fabric wet rather than beading up on it (not sure if it is making it to the down or not). The one nice thing about the extremelite fabric though is it is lighter.

BlackRock
10-29-2009, 12:18
I've got the WM Highlite and love it. The fabric is actually more durable than you'd think, most of it's now woven as a ripstop too. It's a 20d weave, single calendared with some sort of DWR coating that repels pretty much ALL condensation. Down doesn't poke through this type of fabric. You may lose a fiber or two through a stitch hole, but it's not like some fabrics where down is pulling out all the time.

I've used mine down to the mid 20's and in light rain conditions. I would highly recommend it if weight is paramount for you. It's not my winter bag though and is a 35* so I generally use it in the summer months. Either way it's a stellar bag.

Mocs123
10-29-2009, 14:14
Also please be aware that my Ultralite and Summerlite use different shell materials (ie you can feel the difference) where as they were both "extremelite" fabrics. I know at one time they were using Pertex made fabric, but BlackRock said in another thread that when he called, they said they had changed their extremelite fabric from pertex to something else. Needless to say, whatever WM uses it seems to be top notch.

BlackRock- When was your Highlite made? Perhaps the newer fabric has better DWR than the older stuff that I have.

Ender
10-29-2009, 15:02
It's plenty durable. Just don't drag it over gravel and throns and you should be fine.

BlackRock
10-29-2009, 17:14
BlackRock- When was your Highlite made? Perhaps the newer fabric has better DWR than the older stuff that I have.

I bought my Highlight in August, so it's brand new. I would have to check and see if there is an actual date on it though.

bigcranky
10-29-2009, 18:28
I have both -- a Megalite and an Antelope. The microfiber feels thicker and more durable, but I have had zero problems with either bag.