PDA

View Full Version : Trip on MTS trail

scburleson2003
08-15-2004, 21:40
My trip to Asheville was a great trip in some aspects in some aspects and not so sucessful in other aspects. For instance, from the Craggy Mountains to Mount Mitchell was a great hike. But from the Shut-In parking lot, where i started, to threw Ashville I would highly recommend avoiding or skipping. I also received NotYet's advice too late. Unfortunatly, there is absolutely NO camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway stretch of this; so lets just say I improvised. Anyway, Craggy Gardens threw the top of Mount Mitchell where great. Despite this, I don't know if I would recommend this stretch of it either because of the lack of camping. There where huge crowds of day hikers on ever part of this stretch; so it didnt really have the getting away feeling. I would definetly recommend day hiking any part of this stretch, and possibly if some things change in the future then trying to backpack it, I just don't really think that it was meant to be backpacked as of right now. But i did enjoy through all of the hardships. If anyone still ever decides to hike this section feel free to send me a message, because i now have TONS of info. and advice. And once again thank everyone for all of there advice which was vital for me going on this trip!!!