PDA

View Full Version : O'siya (Greetings) How Many Women Hike Alone?

Catsgoing
08-15-2004, 22:09
Thru - Hiker In Training

Do women hike the AT alone? I can't seem to find any post from women Thru - Hikers.

I would like to find someone to hike with.

But, I want to hike with someone @ my pace.

My first hikes this summer up to Springer Mountain wasn't bad alone except for my dogs they do belong @ home.

Then I hiked with a friend and I felt bad because I held HIM UP HE HAS HIKED SINCE HE WAS A CHILD!

I am a newbie from Florida and feel I would do best alone and @ my comfortable pace.

Would like to know of some women in there late 40's , 50's that has hiked the AT alone...

Lone Wolf
08-15-2004, 22:13
Lots of women hike alone. All ages too. But you're never alone on a thru-hike anyway.

eyahiker
08-15-2004, 22:14
From FL, you might want to start with the Big O hike this November, it's flat, but 8 days long around Lake Okechobee.

Lilred
08-16-2004, 19:51
I'm mid-forties. The first time I ever put a pack on my back I went for seven days, from neels gap to rainbow springs campground, by myself. I loved it. This was in Nov. so I only ran into a few sobo's. Had the trail mostly to myself. I plan on doing all my sections solo, and if I ever get to thru-hike, I'll go sobo, solo.

Bluebearee
08-16-2004, 23:46
Perhaps you don't recognize a name as being a woman, but there are plenty of solo female thru-hikers that post here and on other forums. Email me directly if you want to belong to a yahoo group just for women hikers. I was 42 when I thru-hiked, solo, two years ago. But as L Wolf says, you may start out alone, but you don't stay alone. :sun

Flash Hand
08-18-2004, 03:32
I attempted to thru hike this year but cut it short, but during that hike, I do hike past several female solo hiker. There are several out there. It is great to hike alone but sometimes you would like to have company, and usually you will always find one at any shelter.

See you on AT next year!

Flash Hand :jump

Mags
08-18-2004, 13:52
Check out trailjournals.com, plenty of on-line journal from solo female hikers. As LW mentioned, you are rarely truly solo on the AT for any length of time.

A journal you may want to read is located at this URL:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2465

Nina (Waterall) gives a good flavor of the thru-hiking experience for a woman hiking solo.

Peep
08-18-2004, 16:49
I hiked the AT solo for the first time this past Spring for only a week to see if I would like it. I've been sectioning the AT for several years now and had always hunted up a partner to hike with because of timidness doing it alone as a woman. Going solo was a wonderful experience and I actually prefer it. Never once did I feel afraid or lonely. I could set my own times and my own pace. I'm going for a 2 week section next Spring - solo. Try section hiking for a week or 2 before you do a thru and see what you think. You'll be surprised how many women hike alone. Peep