PDA

View Full Version : Dual Fuel stoves...but how many of us have actually used gas.

nutlub
10-30-2009, 10:16
Hey Ya'll

When I have a choice to go with a white gas only stove or a dual fuel (whitegas or unleaded gas) I always choose the duel fuel stove....but the funny thing is that I always buy whitegas for it anyway. Part of me thinks its just better for the stove or lanturn I spent good money on.

Am I alone here in being afraid to use regular ol' gas. :D

Secret Squirrel
10-30-2009, 12:58
I used unleaded fuel once. I filled up my coleman 442 duel fuel for a weekend hike. Even though the stove was wrapped in a towel and placed in a stuff sack, the smell, as you can imagine was very strong. Until I could get my pack aired out, everything else smelled like gas too.

White gas doesn't seem to have as much residual odor.

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 13:01
My understanding on this subject is the dual fuel is for when white gas would be unavailable - unleaded is a somewhat dirty fuel and when you filter it - its white gas. As for some of the international stoves its when you fly to another country.

sheepdog
10-30-2009, 13:01
I always use white gas. Gasoline has lots of additives in it and that will clog your stove up over time. So if you like to take you stove apart and clean it gasoline is for you.

Woodenarrows
10-30-2009, 13:27
I bought a dual fuel stove mainly for hurricane prepardiness but when I use it car camping I always use white gas for the same reason you voiced, I figure it's better for the stove. I work in sporting goods and 1# propane bottles, Coleman fuel and batteries are the first things to disappear during hurricanes. I figure I will always have fuel in my vehicle so I can use my dual fuel stove.

In my backpack I carry a small alcohol stove.