PDA

View Full Version : Any section hikers feel guilty at lunch?

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 10:56
There is nothing better then a long hike a parking at rock or log to sit down and chow down a large sandwich that sticks to your ribs... Mine's roast beef with BLT and onions with a touch of horseradish and Helmans Mayo... Rugby my Lab goes ballistic! He rarly begs at home and gets nowhere with me. He normally does Breakfast & Dinner - but I feel guilty so I give him some of the sandwich or jerky. So what do you folks do... a bowl & pouch or what?

mudhead
10-30-2009, 10:58
Dog always gets something second.

Pack thing.

Phreak
10-30-2009, 11:31
I carry freeze dried liver for my dogs to snack on throughout the day, and they have their main meal in the evening.

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 11:41
I carry freeze dried liver for my dogs to snack on throughout the day, and they have their main meal in the evening.

That's Unique! - why not lightly cook strips of liver and dry it?

sheepdog
10-30-2009, 12:36
I usually bring a snack for Blaze the wonder dog. If I don't he gets a cut of whatever I have. Even when we go for walks I bring him some kind of dog treat. I usually have him hup(springer spaniel for sit and stay) and then walk around him a bit, then release him and give him a snack. I can then incorperate his training with my walks. It gets him ready to be a good citizen on the trail.

mudhead
10-30-2009, 17:42

Do you wet the liver, or feed it dry? I am guessing they like this alot.

Phreak
10-30-2009, 21:27
Do you wet the liver, or feed it dry? I am guessing they like this alot.
They can't get enough of it. I feed it to them dry as snacks, and mix it with their food at dinner and moisten with water.

Toolshed
10-31-2009, 00:31
Buy cheap hot dogs and cut them up, microwave until very tough and rubbery (and somewhat dried out). They are lightweight and your dog'll love them....

JoshStover
10-31-2009, 00:35
Buy cheap hot dogs and cut them up, microwave until very tough and rubbery (and somewhat dried out). They are lightweight and your dog'll love them....

That is a pretty good idea. I wilve to try it out.

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2009, 23:42
Jerky and slim jim mild works too.