PDA

View Full Version : Driving long distances and foods

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 15:21
It happened this week after a 18 mile hike I found myself nodding at the wheel and I just took a new insurance course on safe driving..My dad was completly passed out. A very dangerous situation and you should not fight it when you are doing 55 mph. They had this list in the course.

These are the foods to avoid that are high in Triptophane (not in any order)

Tuna & Atlantic Perch
White Bread Flour
Milk
Rice
Figs
Peanuts
Soy products
Sesame seeds
Turkey,

Two things that really help if you are doing a long drive a Banana in the morning and if you find yourself nodding off is a Hot Chocolate or Coffee and a 15 minute stop. Don't forget to do the four second rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan

Toolshed
10-30-2009, 15:29
To hell with food. Coupla 64 ounce Ginormous coca-cola with ice will keep me thumping air drums on the steering wheel well into a 20 hour drive.

beakerman
10-30-2009, 15:32
Man I read this post and thank god Ilive in TX 65mph around houston and dallas, 70 out in the sticks and even 80 in the dead zone towards el paso.

I understand what you are talking about with the various foods making you sleepy. I am borderline narcaleptic. Which is great becasue I can fall asleep anywhere but it's bad becasue I can fall asleep anywhere too. How that is viewed is entirely situationally dependant: Loud shelter mate it's a good thing driveing the car bad news. There are some stretches of road tht do that to me. It does not matter when I drive them I'm always sleepy on them. Once I get past a certain point on the road I'm good to go again.

Spokes
10-30-2009, 15:33
Good info Owl! I'll have to remember to leave the Atlantic Perch out of my food bag next hiking trip.....hehehehehe

Manwich
10-30-2009, 15:49
To hell with food. Coupla 64 ounce Ginormous coca-cola with ice will keep me thumping air drums on the steering wheel well into a 20 hour drive.

i'm with you. when geeked out on caffeine, i could drive cross country, if my car could take it

ki0eh
10-30-2009, 16:01
So Fig Newtons make you sleepy?

bigcranky
10-30-2009, 16:41
No, Fig Newtons make you Dopey. Oreos make you Sleepy.

Lone Wolf
10-30-2009, 16:45
a 40 of Colt 45 keeps me awake

sheepdog
10-30-2009, 16:50
So Fig Newtons make you sleepy?
DUI?

Sir is that Fig Newtons and milk in your car? Step out of the vehicle and put your hands behind your back.

Ewker
10-30-2009, 16:52
When I get sleepy I get a 2 liter of Mountain Dew and a large Georgia Mud Fudge Chocolate Blizzard from DQ. talk about zooming down the hwy :D

Blissful
10-30-2009, 19:30
Interesting WOO, thanks.

Farr Away
10-30-2009, 20:35
4 second rule?

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 20:42
No, Fig Newtons make you Dopey. Oreos make you Sleepy.

Thanks DOC!

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 20:47
4 second rule?

Years of driving small cars, I was suddenly driving heavy ultra large luxury cars, the stopping distance is greater! 4 seconds is the "smallest" distance between two cars at 60 mph. I have a clean 10+ year driving record. I decided after two weeks that this is something I don't want to do. It was too lazy a job for 300+ miles a day. And the pay wasn't great.

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2009, 20:54
Here is another good reason for this thread, it can happen to anyone.....

http://www.asrc.net/asrc/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=2

Fiddleback
10-31-2009, 12:16
Nutrition study has moved on and generally no longer 'blames' induced sleep on tryptophan or turkey (which contains about the same amount as other meats). An exception can be experienced when tryptophan is consumed on an empty stomach. The more likely cause of drowsiness is the (heavy) consumption of carbohydrates.

For more on this growing urban legend see snopes.com and other references found through Google.

Now...about that BPA found in turkey drumsticks...:D

FB

seedog
10-31-2009, 13:20
Chewing gum or gnawing on toothpicks are my go to weapons to fight off the drowsies. I drive 5000 miles a month.

Reid
10-31-2009, 13:38
a 40 of Colt 45 keeps me awake

I bet your beer weighs more than my tent does.

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2009, 15:21
Nutrition study has moved on and generally no longer 'blames' induced sleep on tryptophan or turkey (which contains about the same amount as other meats). An exception can be experienced when tryptophan is consumed on an empty stomach. The more likely cause of drowsiness is the (heavy) consumption of carbohydrates.

For more on this growing urban legend see snopes.com and other references found through Google.

Now...about that BPA found in turkey drumsticks...:D

FB

There Tryptophan and BPA in Turkey Drumsticks? - the HORROR!

I would say the food plus the visual motion is the key to this, ever notice small children pass out when going down a road faster than 60MPH?

east_stingray
11-08-2009, 11:04
That 5 hour energy stuff has been pretty good for me when I have a long drive ahead. I don't like to hit soda or coffee because then I only have about 30 minutes before I HAVE to stop and pee.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2009, 11:08
uhh TMI IMO....