PDA

View Full Version : Boots for hiking in snow

BlazeWalker
10-30-2009, 20:55
I searched this one but didn't find what I wanted. The snow will be flying in PA soon and I need a pair of winter boots. My question is which is better, all leather or leather and nylon/cordura? Also how much insulation should they have? I plan on doing some overnights this winter and really do not have any good cold weather boots. Suggestions are appreciated!

DirtBagger
10-30-2009, 21:39
What type of snow and what type of hiking?

Replies - usually you will get a lot of non-water proof running shoes, a few chacos, and then some decent boot recommendations. And all kinds of fancy waterproof socks.
I use an all leather with laces and eyelets that will freeze up me. So when I wake in the am I have to deal with blocks of ice (frozen leather), and laces that are completely frozed-up. It sucks - been doing it that way for 30+yrs. I have tried other methods, but they all have their shortcomings. Snow.
I will continue to buy leather boots, non-goretex, and Sno-seal the snot out of them. Right now I have my second pair of Asolo 535 boots. I also carry a good supply of Walmart produce bags/vapor barrier liners.

It works for me and may not work for any other person in the world.

You might search some of the Alaska forums or the Canada forums for suggestions.

Lyle
10-30-2009, 21:53
"So when I wake in the am I have to deal with blocks of ice (frozen leather), and laces that are completely frozed-up. It sucks - been doing it that way for 30+yrs. I have tried other methods, but they all have their shortcomings."

Try heating some water just before bed. Fill a couple of water bottles, slip these into some heavy wool socks, then place them into your boots. Some insulation under the boots will help too. In the AM, your boots will be cold but usually not frozen solid, and your water will still be liquid.

BlazeWalker
10-30-2009, 21:58
Most of my hiking will be on the AT (I am about 25 minutes from Blue Mtn Summit). I think I am leaning toward a leather and nylon upper with some kind of insulation like thinsulate...however I don't want something as rugged as a hunting boot. I guess i'll have to start experimenting!

Slo-go'en
10-30-2009, 22:09
Thinsulate insulated boots are getting pretty common now days, even Wal-Mart has them. Sorrels are an old stand-by. With thier removable felt liner, you can take the liner out and put them in your bag with you.

Top of the line, there are the plastic double boots. I still use my original white nylon shell Koflach boots, but being some 30 years old, thier getting pretty beat up. They got some hard use when I was winter caretaker at the Gray Knob cabin on Mt Adams, way back in 86/87. Wish I could justify the nearly $400 it would take to replace them with some new ones!

Feral Bill
10-30-2009, 23:43
For seriously cold and, especially wet, conditions, see your surplus store for "Mickey Mouse" boots. You will be assured of warm, wet feet, which is often the bet you can do. Do not plan on big miles with these, they are heavy.

kayak karl
10-31-2009, 02:39
For seriously cold and, especially wet, conditions, see your surplus store for "Mickey Mouse" boots. You will be assured of warm, wet feet, which is often the bet you can do. Do not plan on big miles with these, they are heavy.
your right, its so hard to find that compromise between warmth and weight. im interested to hear what others have used. like Mukluks

Ramble~On
10-31-2009, 02:51
Boot answers will vary..but I thought I'd mention Alpaca socks to you.
I really like them for winter.

Slo-go'en
10-31-2009, 11:26
No matter what boot you choose, be sure to wear long gaters. These keep the snow out of the top of the boot and caking up around the socks. Getting snow into the boot is the prime reason for wet boots and socks.

The Solemates
10-31-2009, 11:47
my experience has pretty much been to have damp/wet boots all day when winter hiking. its never been that big of a deal to me, even in the coldest conditions. i often just wear trail runners, even in moderate depth snow.

TEXMAN
10-31-2009, 11:59
I hiked in the smokies thru snow last year and I had a pair of Rockys' from Dicks ..these are really hunting boots but I found a pair that was goretex lined and lightweight (for boots) cost $99 and they were warm , never got wet in the snow. I plan on buying another pair to go along with trail runners that I wear when it is drier. It's not the snow as much as the slush and mud after the snow that goes up over a trail runner.
O.M. River

Snowleopard
10-31-2009, 12:01
For general cold weather use, Sorel type boots are good.

For winter courses the AMC used to require either:
Sorel type boots (thick felt liner), comfortable for walking, not so great for crampons.
http://www.rei.com/product/674940
Plastic mountaineering boots (stiff, uncomfortable for walking, best for crampons).
Military surplus Mickey Mouse boots (hard to find, heavy, clumsy).

Mukluks are good in reliably cold weather, but they're not particularly waterproof. People that use these in snow camping in New England bring rubber boots in case it gets above freezing and melts.

For camping in the cold, bring your inner boot/felt liner into your sleeping bag.

Doooglas
10-31-2009, 19:43
Years ago ? Sundowners.

shelterbuilder
10-31-2009, 21:02
I've had trouble (forever) trying to get boots that fit correctly. Asolos are, for me, the best I've found so far. Nylon uppers, so they tend to be, shall we say, somewhat less than waterproof! :D But, being too lazy to take proper care of leather boots, nylon works for me.

Here's a trick to keep your feet dry, warm, and happy.
1.) polypro sock liners
2.) a vapor barrier sock (could be as simple as a bread wrapper - remove the bread first)
3.) wool socks (heavyweight)
4.) Gore-tex oversock

The reason that most folks get cold feet in the winter is that their socks get wet - either from the outside ("Oops, I stepped in the creek") or from the inside (from sweaty feet). The vapor barier socks eliminate the sweaty problem, and the Goretex keeps the socks protected from external wet.

And yes - gaiters are a great way to keep the snow out of your boots - use them.

Tinker
10-31-2009, 21:21
Last year I decided to experiment. I used Asics trail runners with full strap on crampons on crusted over snow in NY. In conjunction with Sealskinz socks (nothing underneath) they were fine for hiking in the 10-20 degree weather (as long as I kept moving) I even went through thin ice at the edge of a stream and got one foot wet and muddy. I washed off the mud further downstream and within 15 min. my wet foot was as warm as my dry foot. At night I switched to some heavy-duty down booties. In the morning the shoes were still supple enough to get into, and the frozen laces really weren't that much of a problem.
I also have a pair of NEOS overshoes, which I haven't gotten to try yet as I bought them on closeout late last winter. I don't think they'll work with my crampons, but they'll go right over my trail runners and seem to be warm. They also have a built in gaiter which goes almost to knee level. I'll check them out on the trail soon enough.

take-a-knee
10-31-2009, 21:42
your right, its so hard to find that compromise between warmth and weight. im interested to hear what others have used. like Mukluks

Mukluks are okay in dry cold, they do not work at all with snowshoe bindings because they are compressible, you'll get frostbite where that strap crosses the top of your foot. Those plastic mountaineering boots SUCK for walking, they are not hiking boots, they are for technical climbing. Mickey Mouse (vapor barrier) boots are what the US Army has used since not long after the Korean War, absolutely NOTHING works better when it gets below zero. The work great with snowshoes, they work well with the old balata binding for moderate terrain cross-country skiing, and they will keep your feet from freezing at minus 50 F. I served two winters in the infantry in AK, when it "warmed up" to near zero, we wore them sans socks when we marched, poured the sweat out when stopped, wiped the inside of the boots dry with a cravat, and donned our nice dry socks...toasty warm toes standing around at minus ten.

take-a-knee
10-31-2009, 21:44
Last year I decided to experiment. I used Asics trail runners with full strap on crampons on crusted over snow in NY. In conjunction with Sealskinz socks (nothing underneath) they were fine for hiking in the 10-20 degree weather (as long as I kept moving) I even went through thin ice at the edge of a stream and got one foot wet and muddy. I washed off the mud further downstream and within 15 min. my wet foot was as warm as my dry foot. At night I switched to some heavy-duty down booties. In the morning the shoes were still supple enough to get into, and the frozen laces really weren't that much of a problem.
I also have a pair of NEOS overshoes, which I haven't gotten to try yet as I bought them on closeout late last winter. I don't think they'll work with my crampons, but they'll go right over my trail runners and seem to be warm. They also have a built in gaiter which goes almost to knee level. I'll check them out on the trail soon enough.

I have no doubt this works, SGT Rock did this on his winter hike and it worked well for him. The downside I see is winter pack weight combined with no ankle support, you better have some strong ankles.

Tinker
10-31-2009, 22:05
I have no doubt this works, SGT Rock did this on his winter hike and it worked well for him. The downside I see is winter pack weight combined with no ankle support, you better have some strong ankles.
I used to turn my ankles all the time while using heavy boots. Once I lightened my pack (winter weekend weight is between 20-25 lbs. - ask Sasquatch) I was able to go with low tops.
I believe my ankles are actually stronger now than when I used heavy boots and carried a heavier pack. Now, stepping on a running shoe with a crampon spike is another matter altogether (yes, it happened - luckily the points are a little dull and I was able to shift some weight off to the other foot fast enough - something not as easily done with heavier boots.
As with everything else there are risks and rewards. An easier day is reward enough for me.

BlazeWalker
10-31-2009, 23:17
I kinda like those Vasques that Buffjeff referenced in another thread, just wish that they had some insulation for added warmth

Franco
11-01-2009, 01:02
A friend has used the Neos Navigator in Alaska down to -40 and they were fine. (he was mostly pushing a bike ) .
They do accept crampons but that would not be for technical stuff.
Franco
http://www.muckbootsonline.com/NEOS_Overshoes_s/81.htm

Deadeye
11-01-2009, 10:00
I use Hi-tech Altitude IV light hikers, pretty much a generic ankle high, light leather boot. I prefer little or no insulation, if it gets wet it takes longer to dry - socks will give you all you need, just bring plenty. OTOH, I don't really do anyting different in winter, just wear a thin liner sock and some smartwools... your feet will be plenty warm while hiking, and if you have dry socks for sleeping, you're golden. Other tips mentioned were right on - use gaiters, put hot water bottles in the boots at night (I bring them in the sleeping bag if they're clean enough), use waterproofing.

BlazeWalker
11-01-2009, 19:19
Cool! Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I will be going shopping soon!!

LIhikers
11-01-2009, 21:20
If I go out for an overnighter in any serious snow I use my Sorel Caribou (http://www.sorel.com/CARIBOU+-+Mens+-+-281-+-7/803298141482,default,pd.html) boots. There's no doubt they are heavy but there's nothing like warm dry feet at the end of the day. And as others have said, you can remove the felt liners and bring them into your sleeping bag so you start the next day with them as warm as you are.