PDA

View Full Version : My Big 4?

hikingbear
10-31-2009, 14:29
My big four are at 12 pounds. Is this right where I need to be for a thru hike? Or do I need to try to get this lower?

Pack 47oz
Tent 88oz (tent, rainfly, poles, footprint &stakes)
Sleeping Bag 47oz
Sleeping Pad 10oz

Thanks for the input!

Blissful
10-31-2009, 15:01
Way too heavy. Esp your tent, wow. You can get tents around 2 1/2 lbs. Sleeping bag is kind of heavy too.

hikingbear
10-31-2009, 15:35
Way too heavy. Esp your tent, wow. You can get tents around 2 1/2 lbs. Sleeping bag is kind of heavy too.

Does the 2 1/2 pounds includes everything (footprint, poles, stakes, etc..)? Can you give me some names so I can check them out. I have a MSR Hubba and I was under the impression this was a good tent for a thru hike.

Thanks!

Feral Bill
10-31-2009, 15:50
Many people do not use footprints. Saves weight and bother.

Schuetzen
10-31-2009, 15:52
My Gossamer Gear Squall Classic weighs 27 oz with every thing but the pole (it uses a hiking pole). It still needs to be seam sealed so it will probably gain an oz. It is a 2 person tent so there is plenty of room for you and all of your gear inside.

Not So Fast!
10-31-2009, 16:18
HB,
Try weighing your tent again. MSR Hubba (one of the most popular tents on the AT) should weigh about 2 lbs less than you stated, unless you have a ridiculously heavy footprint. Just a thought....

ARambler
10-31-2009, 16:33
...and the pack is too light for someone heading to a 25 lb base weight. Did you switch the weights?? Once you get the tent and bag weight down, there are many packs at a 3 lb that will work. I assume your bag is a synthetic. I recommend down. At the very least, you need a warm weather option for lightening the load.
Rambler

hikingbear
10-31-2009, 16:44
HB,
Try weighing your tent again. MSR Hubba (one of the most popular tents on the AT) should weigh about 2 lbs less than you stated, unless you have a ridiculously heavy footprint. Just a thought....

You are right. After double checking the tent is 57oz.

So now I am looking at:

Pack: ULA Catalyst 47oz
Tent: MSR Hubba 57oz
Pad: 10oz
Bag: Mountain Hardwear Women's Ultralamina 47oz

Toatl: 161oz 10.06lbs

My bag is synthetic. I went with this with the fear of a down bag getting wet. It is rated 15 degrees. Do the down bags weigh less?

Thanks everyone for the help.

bigcranky
10-31-2009, 17:05
Yes, a 15-F down bag will weigh around 2 pounds or so. It will also compress to a smaller size without damage. But there is nothing inherently wrong with your sleeping bag, or any of your other gear.

bullseye
10-31-2009, 18:19
You are right. After double checking the tent is 57oz.

So now I am looking at:

Pack: ULA Catalyst 47oz
Tent: MSR Hubba 57oz
Pad: 10oz
Bag: Mountain Hardwear Women's Ultralamina 47oz

Toatl: 161oz 10.06lbs

My bag is synthetic. I went with this with the fear of a down bag getting wet. It is rated 15 degrees. Do the down bags weigh less?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Your gear is fine as long as your comfortable carrying it. If you want lighter you could go something like this:

Granite Gear Vapor Ki - 37 oz
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 - 32 oz
Henry SHires Tarptent Squall- 34 oz
Prolite 3 pad short - 13 oz

Total: 116 oz - 7.25 pounds

It really depends on your comfort factor (and wallet). If you've already bought the gear I'd at least get out on a couple of short trips and see how it carries before taking everything back. Your using solid gear, it's just a matter of if it works for you.

When I started backpacking my 1st tent weighed 10 pounds, so you're way ahead of where I was way back then:D.

Blissful
10-31-2009, 19:20
I just got the hubba UL and it says it weighs in at 2lb 9. I have yet to use it as I just bought it. I have been using my Tarptent squall 2 which is around 2 lbs.

That's a better weight you quoted. :) Looks good. Down would weigh less, yes, but you do need 15 degrees.

Tinker
10-31-2009, 22:17
Tent suggestion:
http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html
Looks like a real winner. Should be quite stable in wind, handle a light snow load, and sets up quickly (no separate inner and outer tent). I wouldn't hesitate to buy one just to try (even though I'm a hammocker) if I had the spare change.

Here's one I just got through testing - roomy, light, well made, and well ventilated. Tent and fly are one piece, though it has more mesh than most one piece tents:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52867&highlight=lightheart+gear

Ramble~On
10-31-2009, 22:23
I'd go with what you have...you have good gear.
There will always be lighter this and that's but if you find that you need them...find that out through experience on the trail and do as most do...pick new stuff up along the way. You'll find that gear is a common topic on the trail and you will be able see what other people are using and get hands on with it before you decide what is right for you.
Gear keeps evolving too and if you buy something now...you might regret it when the new "this" comes out in January.

I used a Catalyst and love it...saw more of them on the trail than any other pack.
Hubba is very popular but it doesn't have a lot of room inside. There are much bigger, much lighter alternatives.
I changed sleeping bags as the weather changed..a quality summer bag isn't too expensive.
Sleeping pad..easily changed if you find it is too heavy or not cushy enough.

Again...I'd go with what you have and worry about making changes IF you find that you need to.