PDA

View Full Version : Mapdana camp sites & Trail Guide book

markellag
08-16-2004, 07:32
The Mapdana shows several camp sites in georgia BUT the & Trail Guide book usually makes no mention of these camp sites. Why is this ???

Youngblood
08-16-2004, 09:12
The Mapdana shows several camp sites in georgia BUT the & Trail Guide book usually makes no mention of these camp sites. Why is this ???

My guess is that there are so many campsites along certain stretches of the trail that it is not practical or productive to list them all. Other factors may involve the size of the campsites and what time of year someone determined it was a campsite. (Some campsites start disappearing during growing season... heck, you might have a hard time recognizing some spots you saw in March when August rolls around.)

If there are enough campsites listed, it usually isn't much of an issue if all possible campsites are not listed... does that make any sense?

Youngblood

markellag
08-16-2004, 09:52
I am hiking from NC-GA border to Amicalola Falls State Park September 11 thru September 18. The spacing between shelters is awarkard going this direction. I think I will probably being staying in a tent, rather than a shelter, for part of the trip because of the odd distances between shelters.

Dicks Creek gap to Amicalola is convenient spacing between shelters.
NC-GA Border to Amicalola is goofy spacing, 20 miles one day, 10 the next.

My guess is that there are so many campsites along certain stretches of the trail that it is not practical or productive to list them all. Other factors may involve the size of the campsites and what time of year someone determined it was a campsite. (Some campsites start disappearing during growing season... heck, you might have a hard time recognizing some spots you saw in March when August rolls around.)

If there are enough campsites listed, it usually isn't much of an issue if all possible campsites are not listed... does that make any sense?

Youngblood

Youngblood
08-16-2004, 10:29
I am hiking from NC-GA border to Amicalola Falls State Park September 11 thru September 18. The spacing between shelters is awarkard going this direction. I think I will probably being staying in a tent, rather than a shelter, for part of the trip because of the odd distances between shelters.

Dicks Creek gap to Amicalola is convenient spacing between shelters.
NC-GA Border to Amicalola is goofy spacing, 20 miles one day, 10 the next.

Well, you are going about it the right way. You have 8 days to do some shuttling and hike 84+ miles of trail. How you get to the NC-GA border will determine what the '+' miles are. Sometimes the road crossings hit where you might want to camp and cause you to have to pull up short by a couple of miles or either push on for a couple of additional miles. What I sometimes do is set the average mileage for a two day period so that I don't end up hiking back-to-back short days or long days. Anway, I posted some comments a few months ago about hiking the Georgia section of the trail and this link should get you there if you are interested in what I had to say: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=42397&highlight=Georgia+section+hike#post42397 . Hope you have a great hike and I will be glad to try to answer any specific questions you might have about the GA section.

Youngblood

Crazy_Al
08-16-2004, 12:42
The Hiker Hostel folks are shuttling me from Hiker Hostel to Blue Ridge Gap which is 3.0 miles south of NC-GA border. The maps reads 4WD but the Hiker Hostel folks say it is not a difficult road. I will hike north 3.2 miles to Bly Gap, NC, then turn around and hike back to Amicalola Falls.

Blue Ridge Gap GA to NC-GA border is 3.0 miles
Blue Ridge Gap GA to Bly Gap NC is 3.2 miles
NC-GA Border is not marked.

Youngblood
08-16-2004, 14:16
The Hiker Hostel folks are shuttling me from Hiker Hostel to Blue Ridge Gap which is 3.0 miles south of NC-GA border. The maps reads 4WD but the Hiker Hostel folks say it is not a difficult road. I will hike north 3.2 miles to Bly Gap, NC, then turn around and hike back to Amicalola Falls.

Blue Ridge Gap GA to NC-GA border is 3.0 miles
Blue Ridge Gap GA to Bly Gap NC is 3.2 miles
NC-GA Border is not marked.

The road to Blue Ridge Gap has a few tough spots where you need to be very careful... Josh & Leigh drive those back roads so much that things that might scare you (or me) might not even phase them. I drove it a few months ago and I wouldn't try it without a high ground clearance vehicle. The parking is limited and I would hope I didn't get caught on it in heavy rains.

The NC-GA Border is marked with a small sign about 5 feet above the ground on the east side of the trail: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1721/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/3 .

Youngblood

Crazy_Al
08-16-2004, 17:48
Thanks for the info about NC-GA border. I only wanted to go to Bly Gap to make sure I crossed the border. When I see the border sign I will head South.
alan

The road to Blue Ridge Gap has a few tough spots where you need to be very careful... Josh & Leigh drive those back roads so much that things that might scare you (or me) might not even phase them. I drove it a few months ago and I wouldn't try it without a high ground clearance vehicle. The parking is limited and I would hope I didn't get caught on it in heavy rains.

The NC-GA Border is marked with a small sign about 5 feet above the ground on the east side of the trail: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1721/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/3 .

Youngblood

Mountain Dew
08-17-2004, 02:53
It's because Tinman does an excellent job at making the mapdana's. Check out his site at www.antigravitygear.com

MedicineMan
08-17-2004, 05:52
I think for all the effort one makes to get there it deserves an upgrade...
maybe a project for WB members and a prospective 2005 thru-hiker....

come up with a design,
have it crafted-cough up the dough,
bestow the honor onto the prospective 2005 thru-hiker to replace the old sign

of course the new sign could have a small bronze on it that says contributed by the members of WB

thoughts????

Youngblood
08-17-2004, 08:21
I think for all the effort one makes to get there it deserves an upgrade...
maybe a project for WB members and a prospective 2005 thru-hiker....

come up with a design,
have it crafted-cough up the dough,
bestow the honor onto the prospective 2005 thru-hiker to replace the old sign

of course the new sign could have a small bronze on it that says contributed by the members of WB

thoughts????

If we wanted to do something I would hope that it would be with the approval of the applicable trail organization.

Youngblood