PDA

View Full Version : How to Seam Seal a Jacket

XCskiNYC
11-01-2009, 22:52
I have an L.L. Bean rain jacket, the Trail Model, made out of a coated nylon fabric they call Tek 2.5. It looks very similar to the Marmot Precip jacket or the EMS Thunderhead jacket.

When I first got the jacket it was nicely waterproof but not really breathable.

The Bean jacket is a couple of years old now and it's letting water in through the sleeves pretty freely. Going out in any downpour the insides of the sleeves are pretty quickly soaked.

I have never seam-sealed anything. Would it be effective to use seam-sealing on the inside of the sleeves in a garment like this? If so, I'd appreciate it if anybody could suggest a particular brand of seam sealer that would be good for this kind of application and any how-to tips.

Bulldawg
11-01-2009, 22:56
Probably time for a new jacket. Most of these type jackets are good for 2 to 4 seasons, MAX.

mkmangold
11-02-2009, 19:42
I have never seam-sealed anything. Would it be effective to use seam-sealing on the inside of the sleeves in a garment like this? If so, I'd appreciate it if anybody could suggest a particular brand of seam sealer that would be good for this kind of application and any how-to tips.

I tend to seam-seal anything that could get wet so I do my jacket. Pretty standard and good seam-sealer is Kenyon 3. Definitely put it in the inside: it's unsightly otherwise.
And I give my jacket a wash in NikWax everytime I need to clean it.