PDA

View Full Version : FruitCake..It's Time.

charlie2008
11-02-2009, 00:27
I know, I know, love it, hate it, whatever. Give up your recipe. There is only two months left for soaking. Nothing better than a moist rum soaked chunk of fruitcake with a big cup of black coffee. Took out my last loaf from last year and I'm looking for some tried and true recipes to try.
-
Here is the one I used last year and it was still moist and yummy after 10 months in the freezer. Gonna miss that last loaf.
-
Soak overnight 4 cups dried fruit combo:
Use what u like.
-
craisins
blonde raisins
black raisins
dried apricots
dried dates
I cheat and use:
regular old Star Marichino cherries, juice and all
fill your measure to four cups with fruit and cover with spiced rum.
-
Start out with 2 spice cake mixes.
add 1 1/4 cup spiced rum
add 2/3 cup veggie oil
add 4 eggs
add 1 cup applesauce
add 2 tablespoons dark molasses
add 1 stick melted butter
add 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
add your fruit combo from above at this point rum and all and last but not least 2 cups pecans
-
spoon into 5 disposable loaf pans and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, rotate pans and bake for an additional 45 minutes, remove from pans and allow to cool completely, then returm to pans and sprinkle loafs with additional spiced rum or amaretto to your liking for a couple days before wrapping and freezing 4 of the 5 loafs for a couple months in the freezer. I usually eat the first loaf as a reward for the best rum cake recipe that I know of to date. These are moist and tasty and should qualify as a fruitcake.........sorta
-
P.S. They don"t dehydrate worth a Hoot.
Suck it up and carry the extra weight.

Captain
11-02-2009, 01:38
I know, I know, love it, hate it, whatever. Give up your recipe. There is only two months left for soaking. Nothing better than a moist rum soaked chunk of fruitcake with a big cup of black coffee. Took out my last loaf from last year and I'm looking for some tried and true recipes to try.
-
Here is the one I used last year and it was still moist and yummy after 10 months in the freezer. Gonna miss that last loaf.
-
Soak overnight 4 cups dried fruit combo:
Use what u like.
-
craisins
blonde raisins
black raisins
dried apricots
dried dates
I cheat and use:
regular old Star Marichino cherries, juice and all
fill your measure to four cups with fruit and cover with spiced rum.
-
Start out with 2 spice cake mixes.
add 1 1/4 cup spiced rum
add 2/3 cup veggie oil
add 4 eggs
add 1 cup applesauce
add 2 tablespoons dark molasses
add 1 stick melted butter
add 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
add your fruit combo from above at this point rum and all and last but not least 2 cups pecans
-
spoon into 5 disposable loaf pans and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, rotate pans and bake for an additional 45 minutes, remove from pans and allow to cool completely, then returm to pans and sprinkle loafs with additional spiced rum or amaretto to your liking for a couple days before wrapping and freezing 4 of the 5 loafs for a couple months in the freezer. I usually eat the first loaf as a reward for the best rum cake recipe that I know of to date. These are moist and tasty and should qualify as a fruitcake.........sorta
-
P.S. They don"t dehydrate worth a Hoot.
Suck it up and carry the extra weight.

i LOVE fruit cake season i get to buy all the captain morgan i want without being considered an alcoholic!

sarbar
11-02-2009, 11:32
My husbands Grandma makes the best version and sends us some yearly. I have had a thing for fruitcake since I was a kid. Had an ex-boyfriend in college whose Louisiana raised mom made killer 'cakes. She basted them for a month, daily, with copiuos amounts of booze. You could get drunk just eating the cake!

Mrs Baggins
11-02-2009, 11:33
As Bill the Cat used to say when hacking up a hairball........GGGAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!!

GeneralLee10
11-02-2009, 11:41
I have never had some with rum in it sounds like the perfect snack on the trail. I would be willing to carry the extra pound for the calories that the cake gives.

max patch
11-02-2009, 12:03
Great trail food, although to be honest I just go to the store and buy Claxtons.

Mags
11-02-2009, 18:40
My late grandmother also made some awesome fruit cake. Seriously. It was delicious. Similar to this recipe from Naples:
http://www.xomba.com/italian_fruit_cake

(The actual recipe was published in a local RI cookbook. Have to look it up when I go back for a visit)

Blissful
11-02-2009, 21:14
This is pretty funny. :)

I'll stick to my Christmas cookie recipes, thanks.

Mags
11-03-2009, 01:48
This is pretty funny. :)

I'll stick to my Christmas cookie recipes, thanks.

Grandma Mags also made awesome cookies: Struffoli, "wine biscuits", pepper biscuits, pignoli...

Hell, I could rattle them off, but here's photo very similar to what she made:

http://www.victoriapastry.com/store/images/large/100_0436.JPG

I can't even begin to imagine how long she spent making all these cookies. She really did make as many varieties as shown above.

...and yeah, her fruit cake (panforte) was pretty damn good, too.

I miss her.

JAK
07-14-2010, 11:35
Interesting thread. Got me thinking about other forms of trail cakes, perhaps baking them as fairly dry mixes, and then soaking them in mollases or honey, and perhaps some 151 proof rum, in order to preserve them. They should be very dense calorie wise, both by weight and by volume, and keep very well. Maybe some oil or butter in the mix also. Wrapped in plastic, or maybe wax paper, or birch bark if you wanted to be fancy, or re-usable nylon or polyester maybe. I've been slowly migrating away from plastic, but still a big fan of nylon and polyester.

Fiddleback
07-23-2010, 11:30
I too love fruitcake thanks to my grandmother's wonderful work.:sun But two months for soaking? I myself have one or two in the basement that are going on four years or so (My Lady says three years, I think it's six. Next time I'll label 'em.). My grandmother's went much longer and one of my childhood chores when I visited was adding more brandy to the cakes.

Now...I have no way of telling if two months soaking is adequate or if longer is better. But in my opinion my older cakes are better than those eaten first and none of them (yet) hit the high mark set by my grandmother and her years-old fruitcakes.

FB