PDA

View Full Version : "I found it in a hiker box"

TyJoWa
11-02-2009, 03:04
What's the best thing you found in a hiker box?

Doctari
11-02-2009, 06:20
At Kincora: a pair of scissors, the perfect size for hiking use & sharp (& well made) enough to cut Mole skin. I made a holster for them when I got home, & they go on every trip now. I shall forever wonder why they were left there. :confused:

Sailor (The other one)
11-02-2009, 06:33
At Mountain Crossings, last year. We'd forgotten Mudpie's knee brace and to cut sit pads from some old blue foam. In the hostel hiker box we found a knee brace and, next to it, some cut blue foam. (And the staff loaned us some reading glasses to replace the one's Mudpie lost).

takethisbread
11-02-2009, 08:04
A water bottle full and I was thirsty

Cheers
11-02-2009, 08:07
Food, glorious food!

RedneckRye
11-02-2009, 09:08
At Vermillion Valley Resort out on the PCT this summer I pulled 4 snickers bars, half a dozen Emergen-C's, half a roll of TP, and a pound of Pistachios out of the hiker barrel.
Sat there that afternoon and ate the pistachios at the bar along with a nice cold beverage.
Also pulled a synthetic t-shirt out that was printed with a "Philmont Ranger 2009" logo on the chest.
Pistachios!
Snickers!
Clean Clothes!

Cheers
11-02-2009, 09:41
I stayed at Vermilion Valley 7 years ago. Did you also notice that some of the hiker box food was obviously put out on the shelf for sale? Crushed and wrinkled packs of Ramen and Liptons dinners...I dunno. They made up for it by getting me drunk on whisky with cowboys round a barrel fire, one of the most memorable places i've ever zero'd.

The Solemates
11-02-2009, 10:21
in a hiker box:

Camelbak cloudburst
3/4 length ridgerest
nalgene bottles
pair of boots, just my size, and almost new
maps
guidebooks
books

along the trail (clean up SOBO hike after all the northbounders go thru in March):

water filter (still use to this day)
nalgenes
wicking t-shirts (still use to this day)
fleeces
books
maps
guidebooks

i know I've come across other stuff as well...cant remember it right now though. ironically, i've never taken food from a hiker box.

Manwich
11-02-2009, 10:22
Two unopened "Backpackers Pantry - Pad Thai" dehydrated dinners. Those are the only ones I can stomach.

Blue Jay
11-02-2009, 10:26
A book I had been looking for for years (amazon, ah no), just after Ihad finished my only book due to poor planning.

Manwich
11-02-2009, 11:16
Also I forgot, in the Inn at the Long Trail, there was a small bottle of brandy.

Looks like somebody was a quitter.

Lyle
11-02-2009, 11:59
LaJunta, CO - Koshare Indian Kiva/Museum: Pair of running shoes from their Lost/abandoned box (taken with permission). This was the first time I used running shoes to backpack, they worked great for the Kansas/Missouri/Illinois/Kentucky road walks. Were finally replaced in Damascus.

Spokes
11-02-2009, 13:08
Full set of titanium tent stakes at the Sapphire Inn in Franklin, NC YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!

slowandlow
11-02-2009, 13:12
Here's the worst thing I have found in a hiker box.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/1/0/7/p4230123_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37578&c=)

Ramble~On
11-02-2009, 13:25
Here's the worst thing I have found in a hiker box.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/1/0/7/p4230123_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37578&c=)

That's Food!

Wrangler88
11-02-2009, 14:16
At Shaw's someone that I was there with got a nice laptop cover. Hopefully they mailed it home instead of carrying it all the way to WV. :D

Mags
11-02-2009, 14:51
LaJunta, CO -

Wow..that's off the beaten path.

Were you in the nearby Comanche Grasslands? I did a restoration project there a few years back. Very memorable area.

Pootz
11-02-2009, 15:09
Limped into Cloud 9 with a bad knee. I found a knee brace in the hiker box. Still had in on when I climbed Katahdin. I am still using it today, although it is in pretty bad shape.

Lyle
11-02-2009, 15:41
Were you in the nearby Comanche Grasslands? I did a restoration project there a few years back. Very memorable area.

No, unfortunately. Was while doing Hikanation in 1980/81, precursor to American Discovery Trail.

Mags
11-02-2009, 15:54
No, unfortunately. Was while doing Hikanation in 1980/81, precursor to American Discovery Trail.

That sounds cool in its own right!

EDIT: It was cool! http://hikanation.com/

The Comanche Grass Lands is not something I'd want to go to all the time, but it is definitely worth going to at least once.

One of the few examples of native grasslands left in the great plains, has several cool canyons (I went to Picketwire Canyon) and has some of the best examples of preserved Brontosaurus tracks in the world.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/coma/main/picketwireguide.shtml

Because it was a restoration project, the group was given permission by the USFS to camp out in the canyon. Something normally not allowed.

Camping out in the middle of the very wide canyon, sitting around the campfire on a nearly full moon night and hearing the coyotes yip...well, its up there in terms of outdoor experiences.

Hmm..time to go back I think.

Disney
11-02-2009, 17:00
Limped into Cloud 9 with a bad knee. I found a knee brace in the hiker box. Still had in on when I climbed Katahdin. I am still using it today, although it is in pretty bad shape.

I actually dropped a knee brace into a hiker box in 2005. Not the same one I'm sure, but I hope somebody got some use out of it.

I got a pear of sweats from Miss Janet's house after the temperature dropped. Still have them.

dragonfeet
11-02-2009, 21:10
camelpack
three snickers bars (took one left two)
Titanium pot

Wise Old Owl
11-02-2009, 22:44
I cannot tell you folks how well I have scored because many of you fail to turn around and look at your campsite after packing or section hikers jumping back into the car. Leaving behind stoves, poles, cool stuff....

Mrs Baggins
11-03-2009, 06:48
Worst thing I heard about someone finding - a USED container of Body Glide......ewwwww

Doctari
11-03-2009, 08:03
Worst thing I heard about someone finding - a USED container of Body Glide......ewwwww

I can beat that: same box @ Kincora (Bilge Rat & I were straightening them out) a pair of used, unwashed, underwear. Double ewwwww!
Sadly, we ended up filling a "Kitchen garbage can liner" with similar stuff, took two full hiker boxes down to one mostly full box.

Jim Adams
11-03-2009, 08:59
Miss Janet's, 2002, fireworks!

geek

sheepdog
11-03-2009, 10:23
Miss Janet's, 2002, fireworks!

geek
Did you get your cat from a hiker box????

Newb
11-03-2009, 14:24
At Kincora: a pair of scissors, the perfect size for hiking use & sharp (& well made) enough to cut Mole skin. I made a holster for them when I got home, & they go on every trip now. I shall forever wonder why they were left there. :confused:

I remember those...I left them at Kincora after I used them to perform an emergency appendectomy.....

Jester2000
11-03-2009, 14:52

I've got that beat, at least from my point of view. A container of used Q-Tips.

RedneckRye
11-03-2009, 18:36

They would probably make a pretty good fire starter.

Mrs Baggins
11-03-2009, 20:19

Some people were not raised right.

Doctari
11-04-2009, 07:42
I remember those...I left them at Kincora after I used them to perform an emergency appendectomy.....

Oh, then it IS a good thing I licked them clean before using them. That also explains the taste, thanks for clearing that up.

:p

Dogwood
11-04-2009, 21:16
The best hiker boxes I've found are located at the large National Parks across the U.S. Many times I would have been able to do a full 5 day resupply from some of these boxes. The AT has some great hiker boxes at several hostels and PO's. TOO many new, great, useful, and expensive items I've seen to attempt to start a list.

I stayed at Vermilion Valley 7 years ago. Did you also notice that some of the hiker box food was obviously put out on the shelf for sale? Crushed and wrinkled packs of Ramen and Liptons dinners...I dunno. - Cheers

I've visted VVR several times. I have always had a good time there. You are right Cheers there is food from hikers on the shelves. BUT, before you jump to judgements, as some others have, consider this: as the owner of a business(VVR) you pay an employee(s) to drive many miles in a business owned vehicle to where resupply boxes are picked up to be handled and transported back to VVR to await pick-up by Sierra hikers, you store them in a locked storage facility awaiting pick-up, you charge a fee for doing this, as everyone is aware of up front, everyone is also aware from the website or by contacting VVR when you arrange for this service that if you don't pick up your resupply box it can be returned for another small fee(this requires reversing the same handling and transporting scenario), during and at the end of every season(VVR is open until about mid Oct when it closes because the long sometimes single lane rough road gets snowed under) you have dozens of unclaimed hiker boxes. Those resupply boxes get disposed of, sometimes to charities if they want it, and some of that food finds its way to store shelves.

Here is another way some of that hiker food winds up on store shelves. There is ordinarily at least 1 55 gal drum/hiker box of just hiker food. Sometimes I've seen as many as 2 almost completely filled drums with just food! I've witnessed many packages of some rather expensive and profitable to sell dehydrated meals in those barrels. There are also accompanying hiker boxes and/or drums with non-food items. I've seen similar high profit items in non-food barrels/hiker boxes that no employee took to place on the shelves. When hikers are not freely taking out as much as they are putting in there can become a rather high volume of food and supplies - what do you do with, say a 2nd or even 3rd 55 gal drum of free hiker food? When does the abundance of food start becoming a storage(VVR has limited storage capabilities), disposal(garbage is a costly expense because of VVR's remoteness), or safety(bears, mice, squrrels,etc.) concern?

I suspect something similar happens at a National Park after a while when something goes unclaimed because of similar storage, disposal, and safety concerns; someone somehow tries to profit from some of those unclaimed items. Some of those items are taken home by someone! Do you really believe pefectly good camping gear, dehydrated food, clothing, money, etc. is always thrown in the garbage?

Jester2000
11-05-2009, 11:45
Sounds like a lot of rationalization going on in that post. In 2008 many hikers were writing "HIKER BOX -- FREE" on things they put in the drums. I imagine that stuff didn't end up on the shelves.

Red Hat
11-05-2009, 12:48
At the Outfitter in Franklin a pair slightly torn of Columbia rain pants. I didn't think I would need any, but with the snow, I was glad to find them. I put ducktape on them and used them off and on all the way to Erwin.

Cheers
11-05-2009, 13:14
I've visted VVR several times. I have always had a good time there. You are right Cheers there is food from hikers on the shelves. BUT, before you jump to judgements, as some others have, consider this: as the owner of a business(VVR) you pay an employee(s) to drive many miles in a business owned vehicle to where resupply boxes are picked up to be handled and transported back to VVR to await pick-up by Sierra hikers, you store them in a locked storage facility awaiting pick-up, you charge a fee for doing this, as everyone is aware of up front, everyone is also aware from the website or by contacting VVR when you arrange for this service that if you don't pick up your resupply box it can be returned for another small fee(this requires reversing the same handling and transporting scenario), during and at the end of every season(VVR is open until about mid Oct when it closes because the long sometimes single lane rough road gets snowed under) you have dozens of unclaimed hiker boxes. Those resupply boxes get disposed of, sometimes to charities if they want it, and some of that food finds its way to store shelves.

Sorry, i didn't mean to go off topic there. VVR was great and run by nice people. I even had a package sent there, and i also traveled that famous "road to vermilion" so i know what a chore it is to get stuff in and out of that place. Still, i wish i hadn't sent a maildrop because you're right, the hiker box was brimming with food. I also remember cramming 14 days worth of food into my rented bear cannister. My buddy and i left there with 70lb packs! What were we thinking...Still, with that much food we had the rest of our zero days on trail. It was awesome.

I would like to move this post to the JMT forum but i don't know how, sorry.
Cheers

Dogwood
11-05-2009, 13:16
Actually Jester2000, I too was concerned with the same thing as Cheers so I bluntly asked the owners of VVR why/how SOME of the food left behind by hikers was obviously winding up on shelves. I tried to see it from the perspective of both hikers and the VVR owners. I may have paraphrased a bit but the answer I gave above is what was told to me by the owner. I have since personally witnessed the owners on several ocassions adhering to what they told me.

SunnyWalker
11-06-2009, 02:05
Like others I have found needed and pleasant food left in hiker boxes. It was great. If you take something are you supposed to leave something of equal or greater value? Is that the custom?

Lugnut
11-06-2009, 09:39
Like others I have found needed and pleasant food left in hiker boxes. It was great. If you take something are you supposed to leave something of equal or greater value? Is that the custom?

If you need it, take it. If you don't need something you have, leave it.

ShelterLeopard
11-06-2009, 18:28
You don't need to leave anything in return. The point is, someone didn't need it and didn't want to carry it. Now, it belongs to you. People want you to empty the hiker boxes.

dragonfeet
11-06-2009, 20:33
Sorry Chaplain that is the most ridiculous custom i've never heard of. If you need something take it, if you have more than you need leave something. As far as hostels having to put some things on the shelf to get rid of the overflow or make few bucks, as long as the sell the stuff at a discount i wouldn't have a problem with it. Hostels provide a good service and lets face it they are not getting rich off us hikers. if they make a few extra dollars selling stuff they would eventually have to throw away to make ends meet, more power to them. I cant imagine what a thru would cost if we all had to find a Holliday Inn. BTW the last part of this statement was not directed at you Chaplin just a general rant.

saimyoji
11-06-2009, 20:57
on the same token, don't feel bad leaving things you don't want and think others won't want either...you just never know what someone will want.

warraghiyagey
11-06-2009, 20:58
on the same token, don't feel bad leaving things you don't want and think others won't want either...you just never know what someone will want.
It's where weasy leaves his poop bags. . .

saimyoji
11-06-2009, 20:59
egggggzzzzakkkkllllyyyyyy

dragonfeet
11-06-2009, 21:01
yeah, who knows the next guy might need my cast iron cookset

SunnyWalker
11-07-2009, 01:45
Its ok, Dragonfeet I knew what you were saying. I have taken things without leaving things, but I was trying to remember if someone had told me that or not. I guess the level (of the box) would never go down if we all left something. I think it might be ok for Hostels to sell some of the stuff when the box gets to full? I mean, are they going to store it? But I think the policy ought to be up front. When and If I place something in there, I am surely not thinking it is for them to sell? Am I not right here?

drastic_quench
11-07-2009, 02:01
I think placing anything in a hiker box is only a guarantee that you no longer want it. You can hope someone gets good use out of it.

gumball
11-07-2009, 09:33
Two sweaters which came in handy during an unanticipated snow storm in early fall, when we were newer hikers and didn't pack as well as we do now. Thanks to whomever left them there!

SunnyWalker
04-15-2010, 13:22
I wish there wre some hiker boxes on the CDT.

Mr. Right
04-15-2010, 13:52
One of my fellow thru-hikers in '09 didn't like his Henry Shires Tarp Tent, so he dumped it in a hikerbox in Franklin. Someone had a happy day when they came across that.

Safety Pins
04-15-2010, 14:32
For the past three years I've worn the pair of hiking shorts I found in the hiker box at East Mountain Retreat. Not pretty but very rugged. They'll be going out on the Trail again soon.

fiddlehead
04-15-2010, 21:46
I wish there wre some hiker boxes on the CDT.

OK, it's been a few years now, but i remember one at the backpackers hostel in East Glacier.
And, wasn't there one at Nina's house?

SunnyWalker
04-15-2010, 23:01
Fiddlehead: I am sorry, but I have not hiked the CDT yet. I am planning on a thru hike in 2013. However, I hope to section hike some of NM this summer. So as to where there might be a hiker box, I don't know, yet. I would not even know if the spots you mentioned are actually on the CDT. I live less than a days drive from the start of the CDT. Near Amarillo, TX. I was thinking that on the AT there is I(I noticed when I was section hiking it) hiker boxes along the trail. I have not picked up that this is a tradtion along the newer CDT. Hence my remark. I am probably out of the loop or uninformed. Sorry. I have been thinking about retiring near the CDT. Sure would try to set up a hiker box!

chiefduffy
04-16-2010, 12:14
I blew a hiking shoe in the Roan Highlands last year, decided to stop at Mountain Harbour. Found a pair of trail runners in the box exactly my size. Still using them.

- Duffy

Pootz
04-26-2010, 10:47
I actually dropped a knee brace into a hiker box in 2005. Not the same one I'm sure, but I hope somebody got some use out of it.

I got a pear of sweats from Miss Janet's house after the temperature dropped. Still have them.

The one I found is an ACE kneee brace, off white in color.

Just Careying On
05-24-2010, 10:26
Found a strip club t-shirt (from Providence, RI) in the hiker box at Blueberry Patch hostel last year. Even though it was cotton I took it, mostly for the irony of it. Still came in handy as it snowed the next couple nights and I needed every layer I could get.

Also found a pair of Marmot rain pants in the box at the NOC. Looks like someone forgot them and they got thrown in. While they were only a women's medium and I'm a guy just under 6 foot, they were quite useful and I used them until I left the trail. Still have them.

Tenderheart
05-24-2010, 13:57
At the Inn At Long Trail, I found a bottle of Liquid Bandage, and I still have one in my first aid kit. I probably would have never bought this item, but found it to be much better than conventional bandages. It also contains antiseptic. What more could you want??

litefoot 2000

elementx440
05-24-2010, 23:47
ooh liquid bandaid, damn does it burn when it goes on! sure patches you up nice though

SunnyWalker
05-27-2010, 08:57
Starting a section hike on CDT this June 11. I'll be looking for hiker boxes after reading this thread. But IF there are any, they're probably empty.