PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket (and Pants) Suggestions

XCskiNYC
11-02-2009, 17:11
I'm gonna be on the trail during the next couple of months so it's gonna be wet and close to freezing.

What's a good raincoat (and possibly waterproof pants)? I'm looking for something in the $100 to $200 range, possibly a Marmot Precip. Let me know if the Precip has worked well for you.

But my current jacket that's a bit worn out (leaky sleeves), an LL Bean Trail Model is pretty similar to the Precip and many other lower-priced jackets constructed of lightweight coated nylon so I think the Precip might be somewhat of a lateral move.

I'm considering maybe Gore-Tex. It doesn't have to be Gore-Tex, but that seems to be the next step up in quality from waterproof coated nylon.

Mocs123
11-02-2009, 18:43
Pre-Cip is something that people either love or hate. They are cheap, and I had some Pre-Cip pants a few years ago that did ok. However they aren't very light, don't breathe that well, and there is the fact that some people have had them de-laminate. I have a Gore-Tex Jacket (Golite Phantom) that I have used for a long time, but despite the hype, it doesnt breathe that well either. If you want something to really breathe, you have to go eVent, but that is a major investment. On most of my trips now I use a Dri Ducks Jacket and Golite Reed Pants.

I would look at the 2009 Marmot Essence Jacket if you can find it(it is a "summer" item)the new Membrane Strata is supposed to breathe really well for such a cheap and light (7oz!) jacket. For rain pants, the Golite Reeds (5.5oz) are the gold standard lightweight pants, but for some reason (that nobody understands) they recently discontinued them, but you should still be able to find them in stores.

Red Hat
11-02-2009, 19:10
I like my Marmot Precip okay, until it began to take on water after several days of heavy rain last spring. I'm getting a Packa now.

LIhikers
11-02-2009, 20:28
I have a Precip jacket that works pretty well.
I don't stay dry when I hike in the rain because if the rain doesn't come in then I sweat so much I get wet anyway. So for me the goal to hiking in the rain is to stay warm enough, not totally dry.

Blissful
11-02-2009, 21:16
Standard Precip is fine for me. Might consider their heavier duty model though for winter type excursions. Forgot what the model is though.

Phreak
11-02-2009, 22:09
Mountain Hardwear Cohesion

reddenbacher
11-02-2009, 22:12
a pack-a is all you need

mrhughes1982
11-02-2009, 22:30
I like my Red-Ledge gear. Been through a lot of rough stuff over the past few years with my pants and they've held out good. Just got a orange rain jacket but haven't went out in it. Saving it for hunting season and my hike next year.

XCskiNYC
11-02-2009, 22:55
a pack-a is all you need

I like the guy's "2180 mile warranty"

babbage
11-02-2009, 22:59
For the money I think Precip is unbeatable. My 6 year old jacket has been through hell. I just ironed it the other day and the dwr is still working.
My pants are only a year and half old - still work great.
A cotton shirt doesnt even qualify as breathable when your humping a load up a mountain - you still be wet when you get to the top.
Its all gonna sweat - save your money for footwear or some sweet gear.

MedicineMan
11-02-2009, 23:44
yep a packa and some gaiters covers all bases and the gaiters are optional :)

Tipi Walter
11-03-2009, 08:19
Rain gear is like most backpacking gear, the more expensive it is the longer it lasts and the better it is made. You can go all the way from a fancy Arcteryx $400 goretex or eVent rainshell jacket to shredable pvc Walmart things that won't last a trip. (Good story: on my last backpacking trip into NC I had to "rescue" two Florida backpackers who got lost in some rugged country and came up to my tent begging me to take them out. One of them had on a pvc rainsuit and it looked like he was wearing about 4 long blue banana peels dangling from his waist: his pants were shredded just from a couple hours of bushwacking.)

Anyway, my pick four years ago was a Marmot Minima goretex packlite jacket, and it's been thru some long trips and rough handling. I just patched up several holes on the thing while I was sitting in my tent on my last trip. Packlite might not be the strongest material out there, but it's rugged enough and I will keep it for a few more years as it keeps me warm when I'm soaked and that's all you can ask from any raingear(cuz none of it will really keep you dry).

XCskiNYC
11-04-2009, 01:28
Pre-Cip is something that people either love or hate. They are cheap, and I had some Pre-Cip pants a few years ago that did ok. However they aren't very light, don't breathe that well, and there is the fact that some people have had them de-laminate. I have a Gore-Tex Jacket (Golite Phantom) that I have used for a long time, but despite the hype, it doesnt breathe that well either. If you want something to really breathe, you have to go eVent, but that is a major investment. On most of my trips now I use a Dri Ducks Jacket and Golite Reed Pants.

I would look at the 2009 Marmot Essence Jacket if you can find it(it is a "summer" item)the new Membrane Strata is supposed to breathe really well for such a cheap and light (7oz!) jacket. For rain pants, the Golite Reeds (5.5oz) are the gold standard lightweight pants, but for some reason (that nobody understands) they recently discontinued them, but you should still be able to find them in stores.

REI has a good deal on the Essence. The only thing is, it doesn't have pit zips. I've actually never owned a rain jacket with these, but they seem like a good idea, especially if you're really exerting yourself under the weight of a pack. I'm not sure if this feature is just the flavor of the moment (it seems to be growing in popularity on rain jackets) or if it is truly useful.

XCskiNYC
11-04-2009, 01:37

Actually, REI has a Marmot Jacket with MemBrain for $115, the Storm Front. It's an '08 model and it does have the all-important pit-zips:rolleyes: but the fabric is noted as MemBrain rather than MemBrain Strata. It may be the same thing. Guess I should call Marmot tomorrow and ask them about it. Jacket looks like a pretty good deal.

Mocs123
11-04-2009, 11:04
The Essence does have underarm "vents" but they do not zip. I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure the Membrain and Membrain Strata are diffrent. One of the things that drew me to the Essence was that the Membrain Strata (new for 2009) has a breath ability rating higher than any other wp/b membrane I have seen except for eVent. I have one, but haven't used it yet, in warmer weather I always use Dri-Ducks and only have the Essence for really nasty winter weather.

XCskiNYC
11-04-2009, 12:19
I see a lot of people mention the Dri Ducks. Do you think they would be good for the current weather on the CT/MA parts of the trail? Daytime highs in the 50's, nighttime lows in the 30's. Probably MA would be a bit cooler since CT is mostly in the under-1,000 ft elevations while MA is mostly 1,000 to 2,000 plus it's a little more north.

The thing is people sometimes mention that the Dri Ducks (or the Frogg Toggs.... I might be mixing 'em up) have an odd fit, and seeing the pics of them they do look a little short and wide. There's no Walmart in NYC at all. No Dicks. There's Modells and the Sports Authority but they have pathetic outdoor departments. Maybe I could hunt up a retailer somewhere and have a look at these Dri Ducks..... I'm just a little loathe to buy them online but of course that's an option.

Anyway, on that Storm Front jacket, REI has a good deal on that and I got pretty interested, but the darn jacket needs to go on a diet: 24 ozs. That's a good ten or so oz's over the Precip or the Mountain Hardwear 2008 Cohesion (13 and 14 ozs respectively).

I am leaning a little towards the Precip at this point. The detailing is pretty good and the weight is good. The thing is, I actually have a Precip right now that I got at Paragon for $77. It's still new with all the tags and unworn. (Paragon is very liberal on returns so it can always go back.) It's just that when I got it home and saw that it appeared identical (the inner lining is the same off-white color and has almost the exact same little repetitive pattern printed on it) to my old Bean Trail Model jacket, which now leaks like a sieve after two years, that made me rethink the purchase.

Probably I'll either keep the Precip or return it and go for the MH Cohesion which REI has a nice deal on now (the 2008 closeout model, $73). The Storm Front looks pretty nice but the way my winter pack has been going, weightwise, no way I want ten ounces that can be avoided. The Dri Ducks sound like a great deal and I'm going to see if there's anyway to see those in person here in the city.

Mocs123
11-04-2009, 12:54
Dri Ducks are cut very large. I am 6 feet tall 165 pounds and have a Small Dri-Ducks Jacket that is plenty big (every bit as big as any of my Medium shells). Dri Ducks Jackets work fine, the fabric is totally waterproof and breathes decent (probably better than Gore-Tex), but they are simple no frills jackets, with a very simple hood, a even simpler storm flap over the zipper, no pits zipps, etc. Mine has held up fine (except for a cuff that started to come unraveled - I need to sew it back) for a year of on trail hiking. They wouldn't hold up to bushwhacking at all. That's not bad for a $15 jacket. I don't recommend them for pants though as the crotch seam seems to split, so I use either a ULA Rain Wrap or Golite Reed Pants.

Doooglas
11-06-2009, 07:36
I like my Frogg Toggs but they only last me about a year.
It rains here pretty much every day so they get a bit of a workout.
At higher elevation I wear a Moritz Snow Creek Goretex shell with the pit zips.
If I'm headed into all day rain areas, like down in the Osa peninsula, I take a cagoule made by Wiggy.
It's like a Packa on steroids.

Gear To Go Outfitter
11-10-2009, 18:40
MEN'S AND WOMEN'S CROCODILE GAITERS FROM OUTDOOR RESEARCH ARE ON SALE FOR JUST $52 (Regularly $65) AND OUTDOOR RESEARCH'S ROCKY MOUNTAIN LOW GAITERS ARE ALSO ON SALE FOR $20 (Regularly $25). SALE ENDS SUNDAY, 11/15/09 OR UNTIL SUPPLIES LAST. (http://geartogooutfitters.com/buygea...=sell&brand=OR (http://geartogooutfitters.com/buygear.php?avialable=sell&brand=OR))

Tinker
11-10-2009, 23:46
Marmot (and most other manufacturers) use a thin layer of polyurethane as the waterproof layer. It really doesn't breathe as is, so they put little dimples in it to make it ever thinner. It still doesn't breathe (measurably). It will keep you from getting wet from the outside, but you will stew in your own juices from the inside under exertion. I've owned three Precip jackets in succession. They are durable and work well if you can hike with them unzipped as much as possible (that will work with just about anything, though).
I owned a first generation Gore-tex jacket (1984) which leaked when it became contaminated with sweat. I had to wash it often and replenish the dwr regularly. I currently own a 2nd generation Gore-tex jacket with a separate liner - heavy, and I can't really tell whether it's breathable or that the liner is just soaking up my sweat - but it's hot under exertion unless the pit zips and front zipper are open.
I bought a Gore-tex PacLite jacket and returned it after about an hour of use because it really isn't any more breathable than my Precip under exertion (Gore coats their membrane with polyurethane to keep your sweat away from it - didn't I just say that polyurethane isn't really breathable)???
I just bought the latest "Holy Grail" in WP/B (Waterproof/Breathable) jacket - the REI eVent whatever-it's-called) model. Seems good for now but I can still work up a sweat in it at anything above 60 degrees F.
Something tells me that when it rains you'll be wet from one thing or another unless you stay home :D (and we don't want to do that, do we)?
Good luck and happy hunting.

Connie
11-11-2009, 08:41
REI has a How to Care for Technical Fabrics (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/fabric+care.html) for care of Gortex and other pu-coated fabrcs. This will prolong the life of the garment. The best thing you can do "in the field" is wear a mock-turtleneck half zip long sleeves top and select a jacket with ample features for ventilation so you do not ruin these outdoor fashion garments with sweat.

That said, I like the DWR treated fabrics (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear+dwr.html) because you can wash the DWR back into the garment with reasonably available DWR product.

I have had single layer pu-coated "rain jackets", 2.5, 3-layer and Membrain; I do not list them at my info website.

The rainwear (http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/products1.html) I have listed right now includes:

# Packa Sil-nylon fitted overpack poncho
# Integral Designs Sil-Poncho
# Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
# Exped, CH Packcover-Poncho, chaps
# CDNo, Scotland Pàramo Velez Adventure Light, Pàramo Torres Sleeves
# Montane, UK Venture Jacket, Atomic DT 2.0 Jacket, Filament Jacket, eVent Halo Stretch Jacket, eVent Evolution Jacket, Lite-Speed H2O Jacket
# Helly Hansen Seattle Packable Jacket, W Seattle Packable Jacket, Paramount Soft Shell Jacket, Verglas Dynamic Softshell, Rapide Jacket
# frogg toggs The Bull Frogg, Fishing Jackets, The Tekk Toad, The Pro Advantage
# Rainshield O2 Cycling Series Jacket, O2 Rainwear Hooded Jacket

Doooglas
11-15-2009, 05:22
I have a Gore-Tex Jacket (Golite Phantom) that I have used for a long time, but despite the hype, it doesnt breathe that well either. If you want something to really breathe, you have to go eVent, but that is a major investment. .

I read that in mall ninja weekly too.:p
So I did some homework.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdPZ7J_53zk

XCskiNYC
11-17-2009, 20:05
REI has a How to Care for Technical Fabrics (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/fabric+care.html) for care of Gortex and other pu-coated fabrcs. This will prolong the life of the garment. The best thing you can do "in the field" is wear a mock-turtleneck half zip long sleeves top and select a jacket with ample features for ventilation so you do not ruin these outdoor fashion garments with sweat.

That said, I like the DWR treated fabrics (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear+dwr.html) because you can wash the DWR back into the garment with reasonably available DWR product.

I have had single layer pu-coated "rain jackets", 2.5, 3-layer and Membrain; I do not list them at my info website.

The rainwear (http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/products1.html) I have listed right now includes:

# Packa Sil-nylon fitted overpack poncho
# Integral Designs Sil-Poncho
# Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
# Exped, CH Packcover-Poncho, chaps
# CDNo, Scotland Pàramo Velez Adventure Light, Pàramo Torres Sleeves
# Montane, UK Venture Jacket, Atomic DT 2.0 Jacket, Filament Jacket, eVent Halo Stretch Jacket, eVent Evolution Jacket, Lite-Speed H2O Jacket
# Helly Hansen Seattle Packable Jacket, W Seattle Packable Jacket, Paramount Soft Shell Jacket, Verglas Dynamic Softshell, Rapide Jacket
# frogg toggs The Bull Frogg, Fishing Jackets, The Tekk Toad, The Pro Advantage
# Rainshield O2 Cycling Series Jacket, O2 Rainwear Hooded Jacket

That's a good article on the REI site. After reading it it sounds like my old LL Bean jacket could maybe be cured of its leaky sleeves with a wash with one of these DWR cleansers.