PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for 2010

Scruffy
11-02-2009, 21:43
tent MSR Zoid 1 85.00 ebay:D great shape
sleeping bag Westeren Mountaineering Summerlite local outfitter
Swedish Army mess kit Alcohol Stove
Wal Mart poly thermals

Just thought I would share some of the new or new to me gear.
I know the stove/ messkit is heavy but I really like the it I am considering taking it on the thruhike. The pot is the perfect size for mac-n-cheese and tuna, and hamburgerhelper stroganaff. But then again I could spend crazy money for a TI pot:mad:
I picked up one of those army emergency blankets made of mylar and polyethalene. I was thinking of using the blanket under my sleeping pad to help reflect some of my body heat. Has anyone ever tried this? Basically I am trying to get by with a 32 degree bag during the cold spells is why I am doing this.
Now I need to start studing about clothes. I know I wount need much, but I must say I am a little woried about the cold at the beginning of the trip. I am starting on March 1 so I know snow is a possiablity.

Any suggetions welcomed except tarps:p

volleypc
11-02-2009, 22:51
I started March 2nd this year. The ridge runner told me that on the first the temp was 6 degrees on springer and it was 9 degrees on the second. You may want to consider a liner with your bag and layers at least for the first month. I probably had more clothes than I needed so I will let others comment on what they used.

Scruffy
11-02-2009, 23:17
I started March 2nd this year. The ridge runner told me that on the first the temp was 6 degrees on springer and it was 9 degrees on the second. You may want to consider a liner with your bag and layers at least for the first month. I probably had more clothes than I needed so I will let others comment on what they used.

6 degrees:eek: I might need to rethink my bag

nox
11-02-2009, 23:26
If you already bought the 32' and have a summer bag you could double them up for a while until the temperature eases up. If you don't have a summer bag it might be worth buying a cheapo slumberjack 40' instead of buying another $200-$300 bag...... Just a thought.

Spokes
11-03-2009, 00:40
Is that Swedish Army Mess Kit Alcohol Stove the all-in-one kind that handles the Trangia stove? A British chap named Mr. Green Tea carried one of those on this years thru and I marveled at it. Damn thing looked like a tank but performed well for him. Seemed awful heavy to me.

Have you considered a simple pepsi can stove and light weight pot? It'll work just as well and will save space and weight.

Scruffy
11-03-2009, 00:51
Is that Swedish Army Mess Kit Alcohol Stove the all-in-one kind that handles the Trangia stove? A British chap named Mr. Green Tea carried one of those on this years thru and I marveled at it. Damn thing looked like a tank but performed well for him. Seemed awful heavy to me.

Have you considered a simple pepsi can stove and light weight pot? It'll work just as well and will save space and weight.

Yep that is the stove set I got. I have a few of the pepsi stoves and a hybrid cat can pepsi stove I made. I have been looking for a Cheap pot big enough to cook mac-n-cheese in. Cheap and big have been the issue. I have a Kmart grease pot that is just a little too smalll for my cook style. So I found the swedish army stove and figured I would play with it for awhile. I will carry it on some training hikes and see if the weight is justified. :-?

Scruffy
11-03-2009, 00:54
If you already bought the 32' and have a summer bag you could double them up for a while until the temperature eases up. If you don't have a summer bag it might be worth buying a cheapo slumberjack 40' instead of buying another $200-$300 bag...... Just a thought.

My wife made me a fleece liner for the sleepingbag. The fleece she got is a polar fleece from Wal-Mart. does any one have any experience with this material???

TwoForty
11-03-2009, 01:02
I hope you have two of those bags!

Panzer1
11-03-2009, 01:14
Basically I am trying to get by with a 32 degree bag during the cold spells is why I am doing this. I'll echo what other posters said that 32 degrees is not warm enough for a March 1 start. I would say the minimum should be a 20 degree bag with a zero degree bag being even better if you can manage it.

Keep the 32 degree bag for the summertime.

By the way those mylar blankets make a lot of noise in the night when you use them.

Panzer

Spokes
11-03-2009, 08:51
Scruffy, check out this Backpacker Magazine article regarding the infamous Winton Porter. Be sure to look at the "Mountain Crossings Method" section on page 4. It really helped me a lot when planning my thru hike this year.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659

Scruffy
11-03-2009, 18:56
Scruffy, check out this Backpacker Magazine article regarding the infamous Winton Porter. Be sure to look at the "Mountain Crossings Method" section on page 4. It really helped me a lot when planning my thru hike this year.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659
:)
Thanks Spokes that is excatly the info I was looking for