PDA

View Full Version : Starting earlier than 2010

Red Beard
11-02-2009, 23:45
... So my original plan was to start sometime in late March of 2010. I've gotten some bad news concerning my health, and frankly, may not be able to start next year.

I don't want to be one of those guys who complains about never getting a shot... so under the circumstances, how crazy would a late November or early December start date be?

TheTank
11-03-2009, 00:16
I think it depends on the specific circumstances, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by starting in November or December rather then March?

If you are just trying to be able to finish the hike sooner, this may not be the way to go, while you will have a head start I am sure you will take longer to hike if you are trying to do it through the winter then you would if you waited for spring. Depending on what experience you have with winter hiking, you may be able to hike through the winter, but it will still be much slower then summer hiking would be, and starting this early you will probably be pushing through winter conditions most of the way.

So, I would say it is not totally crazy, as long as you know what you are getting into. If you are not familiar with winter hiking, or worse do not like winter hiking then it is definitely a bad idea.

Most importantly if you think starting 4 months earlier means you can finish 4 months earlier, you are mistaken.

Panzer1
11-03-2009, 02:49
Then the sooner you start the better as winter is coming. Just hike until it gets too cold and then get home by Christmas/NewYears. That's still not a bad hike.

Panzer

Symbol
11-03-2009, 20:35
Then the sooner you start the better as winter is coming. Just hike until it gets too cold and then get home by Christmas/NewYears. That's still not a bad hike.

Panzer

^ That makes alot of sense... if you want to get some miles knocked out so you will have less miles to hike later this might be a good way to do it. Then you can go home for a couple of months and head back out when you think you can.

I am sorry to read of your bad medical news, Red Beard. I have had some of my own bad medical news and have worked through it and am back out hiking. If the AT is your dream then do NOT give up on it for any reason!

Godspeed brother.

DapperD
11-03-2009, 20:46
^ That makes alot of sense... if you want to get some miles knocked out so you will have less miles to hike later this might be a good way to do it. Then you can go home for a couple of months and head back out when you think you can.

I am sorry to read of your bad medical news, Red Beard. I have had some of my own bad medical news and have worked through it and am back out hiking. If the AT is your dream then do NOT give up on it for any reason!

Godspeed brother.I may be wrong but I don't believe he wants to hike a little and go home for a couple of months, it appears to me Red Beard is saying he wants to begin his Thru-hike now (early) so as to finish early (not laying off for winter).

Sharkey
11-03-2009, 21:12
I got the impression Red Beard wanted to start early and just give himself more time to complete the trail. (Not to mean finish earlier, but to take more time and just finish the trail.) However he meant it I agree with TheTank in that Red Beard needs to know what he is getting into. Panzer's idea is a good one if Red Beard is open to doing section hikes. I attempted a thru-hike this fall without success, southbound. Had some medical problems of my own that I couldn't manage. So I came back home and let things heal up. In a few days I'll be heading to North Carolina and I'll be going north doing a section hike. I hope to go until Christmas and then I'll decide if to continue hiking or go back to work.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2009, 21:36
Can't really give too much advice as I don't know the details on your health status, but if you're thinking about a full-on thru-hike, it's going to be quite tough no matter which way you go.

Starting south now from Maine would entail some very rough (and dangerous) hiking in Maine and New Hampshire. This would require special gear, winter skills, and superb health and conditioning.

And starting in Maine would once again mean some tough hiking. Even if you were able to hike all thru the wintertime, once again you'd be hiking New Hampshire and Maine at a very rough time of the year.

As others have suggested, I'd consider the possibility of section hiking.

But a full-on end-to-end thru hike, starting now, would be difficult even for someone in exemplary health.

Good luck, whatever you decide.