PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Season in PA

horicon
11-03-2009, 07:48
When does hunting season start and end in PA??

Spokes
11-03-2009, 08:30
Check it out:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=161003

bronconite
11-03-2009, 12:17

It's always hunting season in PA. ;)

The 1st 2 weeks of December are when you really need to be careful as it's the regular rifle season and the mountain, especially State Game Lands, will be full of hunters.

But there is always something that can be legally hunted in Pennsylvania.

ki0eh
11-03-2009, 12:32
At SATC (http://www.satc-hike.org/) we typically boil down our advice on hiking in hunting seasons to this:

Orange hat - late April thru Memorial Day Monday (spring turkey season); 1st weekend of Oct thru week before MLK Day in January (small game, fall turkey, muzzleloader/bow deer, various overlaps), see below;

Full hunter orange hat and vest, or avoid the woods - 3 days before Thanksgiving (rifle bear), 2 weeks starting Monday after Thanksgiving (rifle deer, and now some bear overlap).

Note that an orange hat or vest is REQUIRED on STATE GAME LANDS (SGL) by regulation Nov 15-Dec 15 except Sundays. This time covers the bear and deer seasons where we typically recommend full avoidance or full orange. SGL is a minority of the public lands in PA where hunting is allowed, but the A.T. in PA from Carlisle north is largely on or very near SGL.

Orange means real orange, no fakey "bright colors" or a tiny handkerchief.

Be aware there is a stronger push this year than usual to remove the legislative ban on Sunday hunting in PA.

sylvia_claire
11-03-2009, 14:14

never...except on sundays I think you are safe then. I know to many idiots, without hunting or gun licences, who go at night, out of season to ever think night hiking is safe in PA or NJ

The Solemates
11-03-2009, 18:41
I've always worn an orange vest AND orange pack cover. I think this year I'll also buy and wear an orange hat. I just get so hot in hats though...

mudhead
11-03-2009, 19:38
Orange, mesh, baseball cap. Big enough squares that rain would go right thru.

Must be some skank college near there that wears orange.:)

warraghiyagey
11-03-2009, 19:44
Orange, mesh, baseball cap. Big enough squares that rain would go right thru.

Must be some skank college near there that wears orange.:)
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif. . . . .

ki0eh
11-03-2009, 22:40
Tennessee Vols or Syracuse, take your pick...

The Solemates
11-04-2009, 11:04
actually im a clemson grad :)

mister pooh
11-04-2009, 11:15
actually im a clemson grad :)

Like they said, some kind of skank college :D

Soon to be Carolina grad here. Go Cocks!

Pootz
11-04-2009, 11:18
In Pa orange requirment vary with hunting seasons. But A minimum of 250 square inches on head, chest and back combined, visible 360 degrees is the standard rule. The link below will give you all of the orange requirments. These requirment apply to anyone on state game lands during hunting seasons even non hunters. The link on the bottom contains hunting season information.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/orangerequire.pdf

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/huntingseasonbaglimits.pdf

The Solemates
11-04-2009, 12:25
Like they said, some kind of skank college :D

Soon to be Carolina grad here. Go Cocks!

yea, and your trail name says a lot about the type of people who attend SC's 'other school'. :)

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2009, 12:46
It's hunting season - already. There were gun shots last week on the AT coming from the direction of the valley below.

For the first time in memory there will be a expert culling of the over abundent deer in Valley Forge National Park. The rifleman will be baiting and using silencers over the next two months. Removing over a thousand deer to get the population back to about 300.

nox
11-04-2009, 14:26
I'm surprised that there are still that many deer in valley forge. Every time i drive through there is at least one on the road. Sometimes more. If any area needs some thinning out it is definitely there. In my hiking in the last few weeks I have heard gunshots everyday. Thats why i bought my fluorescent orange pack cover.. plus its easier to see at night

Wise Old Owl
11-04-2009, 14:31
I have made a "spreader rod" from a graphite tent pole that was trashed some years ago. keeps the mosquito net off my face while hammocking so I am looking for a dayglow orange flag to attach to it and just shove it into the top of the pack weighs nothing....

I am trying to figure out who the Opponents are as most folks have 14 foot fences if they are close to the park.

VALLEY FORGE (AP) — Opponents of a plan to kill hundreds of deer at Valley Forge National Historical Park are asking members of Congress to halt the effort before the shooting starts.

Officials at the park, the site of the Continental Army's 1777-78 encampment, want to reduce a deer population now estimated at 1,277 to between 165 and 185 over four years. They say the herd is eating so many plants, shrubs and saplings that the forest cannot regenerate.

Under the plan, the animals would be lured to areas baited with apples and grain, and federal employees or contractors would hunt them with high-powered rifles equipped with silencers. Officials have said that the first hunt will take place between November and March but have refused to say exactly when.

Opponents, who say the park is ignoring more humane and less costly options such as contraception, have petitioned members of Congress representing the area.

Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Pa., said he will be a "reluctant supporter" of the plan as long as he is assured of safety standards and a neutral observer is allowed during the shoots. Rep. Jim Gerlach, R-Pa., said he believes the National Park Service has thoroughly examined the issue but he intends to monitor it, especially in terms of safety and property rights.

Betty Madden of Chester Springs said she is concerned about stray bullets entering surrounding neighborhoods and the prospect of frightened deer scattering onto roads.

"I'm concerned about the deer. I'm more concerned about people," Madden said.

Park superintendent Michael Caldwell said officials had been in touch with legislators and plan to proceed.

"We believe we've developed a science-based, achievable alternative, and we also believe we've had a vibrant public discussion on this alternative," Caldwell said. "Safety is the foremost concern of anything we do. That will extend to our deer strategy."

After four years, officials say, a smaller herd will be maintained through contraceptives and additional shoots. They estimate that the shoots will cost between $2 million and $2.9 million over the next 15 years

Pootz
11-04-2009, 14:59
I am glad to see that an under funded park system is wasting money to study how to reduce a deer population. And that the plans is for paid contractors to bait and shoot them.

Have hunters shoot them and donate the money to a food bank. There are more than enough hunters that would pay to shoot deer in the park. The whole thing could be monitored by the PA game commishion.

emerald
11-04-2009, 15:09
These requirments apply to anyone on state game lands during hunting seasons even non hunters.

You have posted the requirement for hunters, not hikers. The requirement for hikers which applies only on SGL was posted earlier in this thread by ki0eh along with some excellent guidelines recommended by SATC.

Have hunters shoot them and donate the money to a food bank...

If that were a safe and effective solution, don't you think they would have done it already? I can imagine many reasons why the authorities would have no interest in going where you suggest they go.

The Solemates
11-04-2009, 16:19
If that were a safe and effective solution, don't you think they would have done it already?

given our sorry excuse for a government, no....i would not think that at all

nox
11-04-2009, 16:30
Letting random hunters with rifles run free in the park could definitely be dangerous. They should run a lottery of some sort for a limited amount of bow hunters. Less likely to have hunting accidents that way with the nearby homes. Plus only a certain number of hunters in the park at the same time so the deer don't just hide until the event is over. A free for all wouldn't work.

emerald
11-04-2009, 16:36
Oh, come on, no public official has ever done anything right, previously or recently?

For starters, VFNHP is administered by a Federal agency. PGC may not have jurisdiction to manage wildlife there. That's not to say, they couldn't get involved if invited and may have been consulted. Still, is the area such that ordinary citizens without special training could be expected to harvest the number of deer necessary there without creating even more adverse publicity?

They should run a lottery of some sort for a limited amount of bow hunters. Less likely to have hunting accidents that way with the nearby homes.

There would be wounded deer wandering unto adjacent private properties and hunters would need to search these properties to find and retrieve them. Bad press would be almost inevitable.

If people want to argue about something this might be worthwhile, but it ought to be the subject of another thread rather than piggybacked on this one, but I don't know how it relates the A.T. at least directly.

Nearly Normal
11-05-2009, 03:54
It's hunting season - already. There were gun shots last week on the AT coming from the direction of the valley below.

For the first time in memory there will be a expert culling of the over abundent deer in Valley Forge National Park. The rifleman will be baiting and using silencers over the next two months. Removing over a thousand deer to get the population back to about 300.

Sounds like the State's DNR has fallen down on the job.
Had harvest limits been adjusted annually, area hunters would have taken the proper numbers needed to maintain balance.
Sections of the Park itself could have been set aside for shotgun hunting only with asigned stands by lottery.
Also, I was under the impression that silencers were/are illegal.
Sounds like a media slam in the making. Hunters don't need that kind of poor bias press.

bronconite
11-05-2009, 10:15
PA DCNR does not have jurisdiction over a National Park. The NPS does.

Had harvest limits been adjusted annually, area hunters would have taken the proper numbers needed to maintain balance.
Sections of the Park itself could have been set aside for shotgun hunting only with asigned stands by lottery.
I couldn't agree more, but the the powers that be obviously don't agree. I personally like the archery solution, but that's just me.

There's no such thing as a silencer. They're called supressors, and are legal to own and use with the proper permit.

Sounds like a media slam in the making. Hunters don't need that kind of poor bias press.

Hunters in general have nothing to do with it. The NPS wants pay professionals to cull the herd.

saimyoji
11-05-2009, 10:38
Have hunters shoot them and donate the money to a food bank. There are more than enough hunters that would pay to shoot deer in the park. The whole thing could be monitored by the PA game commishion.

If that were a safe and effective solution, don't you think they would have done it already? I can imagine many reasons why the authorities would have no interest in going where you suggest they go.

Ted Nugent has been doing this for years, for free, and donating the meat. There are many states that participate in Hunters for the Hungry.

http://www.tednugent.com/hunting/hungry/

saimyoji
11-05-2009, 10:39
Ted Nugent has been doing this for years, for free, and donating the meat. There are many states that participate in Hunters for the Hungry.

http://www.tednugent.com/hunting/hungry/

direct link:
http://www.sportsmenagainsthunger.org/

bronconite
11-05-2009, 10:44
direct link:
http://www.sportsmenagainsthunger.org/

I'm kind of wondering what they are planning on doing with all the deer that are taken myself. Here is Pennsylvania's version of the above mentioned organization.

http://www.sharedeer.org/

horicon
11-05-2009, 10:56
Thinking of hiking in PA from 29 November 4 December, does any one have any ideas.

BT

Pootz
11-05-2009, 11:29
You have posted the requirement for hunters, not hikers. The requirement for hikers which applies only on SGL was posted earlier in this thread by ki0eh along with some excellent guidelines recommended by SATC.

I was not suggesting that they just allow a bunch of hunters to go in and start shooting. It would have to be done in a safe way. I was just suggesting that the solution is simple and does not require a study and paying a contractor.

ki0eh
11-05-2009, 11:34
Thinking of hiking in PA from 29 November 4 December, does any one have any ideas.

You'll hear shooting from before dawn until after dusk, especially on Monday. I would strongly recommend an orange hat, vest, and pack cover if you choose to do this. Some hunters don't even know about the A.T. much less the other trails we have in PA. There are better weeks to be doing this than the one you choose.

bronconite
11-05-2009, 12:13
You'll hear shooting from before dawn until after dusk, especially on Monday. I would strongly recommend an orange hat, vest, and pack cover if you choose to do this. Some hunters don't even know about the A.T. much less the other trails we have in PA. There are better weeks to be doing this than the one you choose.

I completely agree with this. From a hiking and enjoying nature point of view, you couldn't pick a worse week. Put off your trip for 2 weeks and it will be much more enjoyable.

emerald
11-05-2009, 13:56
I'm kind of wondering what they are planning on doing with all the deer that are taken myself.

I wonder about that too, am concerned about the expense, but don't believe it reasonable to expect local butchers to donate their services.

Much information is lacking from the article which would be required to determine whether or not there are better alternatives. I'd consider taking the time to read a study NPS has published regarding this hunt. Is one available online?

nox
11-05-2009, 14:03
i would imagine the disposal or butchering would be included in the 2-3 million dollars they are planning on spending. It works out to a few grand per deer, for just taking them down that is a ridiculous amount. Even butchered that is way too much.

emerald
11-05-2009, 14:08
Before I would say much more, I'd need to see an itemized list. The devil is in the details, you know. If the taxpayers are footing the bill, we're entitled to see to see the itemized list. You got a copy?

nox
11-05-2009, 14:16
:D must have been lost in the mail...

emerald
11-05-2009, 18:48
Now you're talking postage. I meant is the information available online for those who may be interested enough to read it?

We live in a representative democracy and send our chosen representatives to Washington to make decisions for us so that we may remain at home, toil and pay a portion of the bills they run up.

nox
11-05-2009, 18:52
I guess my :D didn't properly show my sarcasm... how about this ;) ?

emerald
11-05-2009, 19:04
Big Grin :D

Wink ;)

Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2009, 19:44
Sections of the Park itself could have been set aside for shotgun hunting only with assigned stands by lottery.

VFNP is Federal and silencers are legal for the people that are doing this (agents) - This is not a state thing...

Some of the meat will go to the orphanages, the rest will rot next to the hidden areas of the park called the log pile.

harvest limits have NOTHING to do with this. Here in Pa the acorns that deer feed on were wiped out many years back when the gypsy moth wiped out most of the oak trees, the deer population fell in central pa (keep in mind it takes most of a day to drive across Pa) and the VFNP in section one has never had a hunt, in many years. I can walk the trails and throw a rock blindfolded and hit a deer. I asked as to why the deer cannot be transported to section three and everyone told me they would starve out again. They are out of control for a small national park.

http://www.nps.gov/vafo/parkmgmt/upload/VAFO%20Deer%20FAQs.pdf

spindle
11-06-2009, 17:40
I completely agree with this. From a hiking and enjoying nature point of view, you couldn't pick a worse week. Put off your trip for 2 weeks and it will be much more enjoyable.

I will third this. Locally the hunters use the AT to access the tree stands they've put just off the trail. Rules, regulations, whatever be darned.

It will sound like Beirut on the trail for those few days.

Our schools are closed for the opening day of rifle, Nov 30th this year. Wouldn't want the kids to miss it!

emerald
11-08-2009, 15:19
http://www.nps.gov/vafo/parkmgmt/upload/VAFO%20Deer%20FAQs.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/vafo/parkmgmt/upload/VAFO%20Deer%20FAQs.pdf)

Had I not taken a second look at the URL and noted where it pointed, I wouldn't have clicked on it. Thanks for linking the document which answers many if not all of the questions raised.

This issue like many others bought up for discussion here was settled long ago after public input was sought and given proper consideration.

Nearly Normal
11-09-2009, 03:33
Has a processer been contracted? Throwing away this harvest would be criminal.

emerald
11-09-2009, 12:59
Since CWD is mentioned in the FAQ, it would seem to suggest NPS desires to see the venison put to good use. Donating it to local food banks would certainly make the harvest more palatable to the public.:)

1azarus
11-09-2009, 13:34
...I'll be hiking south from port clinton starting december 10th. I do really like to night hike, especially when the days are so short... I tend to hike starting about 2 hours before dawn, and i use a fairly powerful headlamp. i keep the lamp on till well after dawn to stay really visible. sooooooooooo, just how much more dangerous is that than hiking during the day?

emerald
11-09-2009, 13:48
Dusk and dawn would be the worst times for the activity you mention, bright headlamp or not. PGC will expect you to be wearing at least a fluorescent orange hat, but if you take SATC's advice, you will be wearing an orange vest too. If you're after 360 degrees of fluorescent orange visibility as The Pennsylvania Code requires, you may still need a pack cover to satisfy it.

Saturday the 10th will be the 2nd Saturday of the general firearms deer season. There will be less deer and hunters in the woods by then, but more hunters than weekdays. The number of deer should be about the same.:)

Sundays there will be no hunting and you're not apt to see as many dressed in pumpkinsuits. Strap on your headlamp Sunday morning and make for for the Mason-Dixon Line then!

1azarus
11-09-2009, 19:17
Thanks for the advice. Are there enough access roads in PA so that the hunters are evenly distributed through the woods, or, like in VA, do they just cluster around the roads? I Just found the Etowah Outfitters Ultralight Pack Cover in blaze orange... funny thing, it is made in the very state of PA! Think I'll get me one of those...

emerald
11-09-2009, 20:03
Are there enough access roads in PA so that the hunters are evenly distributed through the woods, or, like in VA, do they just cluster around the roads?

You do own and plan to carry maps? Hunters don't wander far from the roads. Remember, if they bag and tag a buck, they will need to drag it back to their vehicles. They don't want to drag them any farther than necessary.

There are about 50 miles of the A.T. in Berks County. Contrary to what some of the uninformed may believe, there are only 5 public roads in that 50 miles. Do, however, take a look at your map for SGL 110. PGC sometimes opens their gates to permit access by specific groups or individuals at certain times of the year. Call PGC's southeastern regional field office should you desire more information.

1azarus
11-09-2009, 21:38
You do own and plan to carry maps? Hunters don't wander far from the roads. Remember, if they bag and tag a buck, they will need to drag it back to their vehicles. They don't want to drag them any farther than necessary.

There are about 50 miles of the A.T. in Berks County. Contrary to what some of the uninformed may believe, there are only 5 public roads in that 50 miles. Do, however, take a look at your map for SGL 110. PGC sometimes opens their gates to permit access by specific groups or individuals at certain times of the year. Call PGC's southeastern regional field office should you desire more information.

will do. again, thanks.