PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail from Space: 3-D Poster Map

Crazy_Al
11-03-2009, 11:34
Tell me what you think about the ATC's "Appalachian Trail from Space: 3-D Poster Map".
Would you recommend the 22" X 32" ($50) format or the 12" X 62" ($120)format ???
Would you order the 22" X 32" format, bring it to a frame shop to have it mounted in 12" X 62" format ???

Manwich
11-03-2009, 11:40
Recession? What recession?

weary
11-03-2009, 12:20
I bought my 22" BY 32" version at the ATC conference in JUly in Vermont. As an advance order I paid a bit less than $50. I complained at the time that there was an error on Whitecap in Maine. It shows the trail bypassing the summit, which it did until 40 years ago.

I was told a correction would be made. But it wasn't. Nevertheless, I like it tacked above my computer, next to a poster of the West Branch of the Penobscot River, and our local land trust calendar.

All replace an ancient topo map of the eastern states, showing the route of the trail (which, incidentally, was also long out of date.)

My version of the "satellite" map is certainly worth the 30 something dollars I paid. I would never spend $120. Maybe not even $50, especially in a recession. But its a nice conversation piece, and it certainly jogs my memory of favorite places I saw during a fun six months in 1993.

Weary

Big Dawg
11-03-2009, 17:24
Tell me what you think about the ATC's "Appalachian Trail from Space: 3-D Poster Map".
Would you recommend the 22" X 32" ($50) format or the 12" X 62" ($120)format ???
Would you order the 22" X 32" format, bring it to a frame shop to have it mounted in 12" X 62" format ???

I'll own the 12" x 62" 3-D poster map eventually. Yes it's pricey, but whoa,,, what a map. I've wanted a raised relief (3-D) map of the AT for some time now. Hubbard Scientific has been saying they were going to make one for many years now, but it's never come to fruition. I'm glad ATC finally came out w/ one. What a conversation piece. Definitely puts the flat strip map to shame.