PDA

View Full Version : Poncho liners

ncmtns
08-16-2004, 16:11
Just wondered what the R value of these might be. Comparing the same thickness to , say, goose down, would they be comparable? Or does the type of insulation matter also?
I made a quilt from a poncho liner, and also have one made of goose down, but really cant tell the dif until cold weather comes. Both are about the same thickness. Thanx ahead!

tlbj6142
08-16-2004, 16:49
Inches of loft is all that really matters. The the true insulator is the "trapped air", not the insulation material. As such 1" of down and 1" of primaloft should have the same rating.

Though I'm sure there are slight differences in heat transfer rates that would have little affect on the temperature rating of the bag.

BTW, the standard army poncho liner is probaby a 50F bag (maybe 60F) once you are lean-mean thru-hiken' machine.

My thru-hiken' brother tried to use one for a few weeks and found them just too cold. Switched to the REI 55F(?) travel bag and has been happy.

peter_pan
08-16-2004, 22:18
I made a quilt from a poncho liner, and also have one made of goose down, but really cant tell the dif until cold weather comes. Both are about the same thickness. Thanx ahead![/QUOTE]

Ncmtns,
How did you get a down bag as thin as a ponch liner....never seen a poncho liner thicker than 1/4 "? :-?

I have cut down poncho liner Nests and No Sniveler Quilts, each weigh approx 16 oz. Have used the No Sniveler down to 60 comfortably...55 is a little thin.

Understand that these work for soldiers who normally sleep in the field uniform to include any insulated under set as appropriate.

Of course nothing beats the Ranger buddy wrap, for a quick two hour sleep on the go. :sun

ncmtns
08-17-2004, 13:03
I got this 50X70 goose down quilt from Wamsutta factory outlet for $15. There are a bunch left. They arent too thick and maybe slightly thicker than the poncho liner.

sgtjinx
08-17-2004, 13:49
I have used a Army poncho liner down to the low 50's on the big inland of Hawaii. That's with a wind chill factor. Don't sleep great but I'm sill alive. :cool:

But with the poncho liner, they work great in about 70 degree weather.

Sgt Jinx
1/75th Rgr Bn
1/35th Inf bn 25th Inf Div.