PDA

View Full Version : Kimsey Creek Trail Shortcut

MadHiker56
11-03-2009, 12:34
My buds and I are leaving next Wed. morn for our loop hike:banana. Has anyone used the shortcut through the C/G for Kimsey Creek trail lately? We are thinking about taking it to save some time and reach SI by sundown. I have read that you may get your feet wet here. Not too sure we want to do that as it will be rather chilly. Any help would be great. Thanks MH56

Doctari
11-03-2009, 15:27
Follow the signs to the "Group camping area" (they were there in 98) just keep going straight, the KCT comes in from the right then turns right to become the trail you are on. I seem to remember a amphitheater on the right just before this jct.

esteban
11-03-2009, 17:10
I just returned from hiking up kimsey creek to the AT and down lower ridge, and the kimsey creek trail was pretty wet. You may get wet feet regardless of the shortcut. Hopefully it has dried up by the time you go out. All this rain lately has really kept the ground pretty wet. The short cut did not seem to save that much time or energy either, IMHO. Have fun!

Ron Haven
11-04-2009, 16:02
Friends I have made an appeal to the hiking club to mark the Kimsey Creek Trail a little better.Here as follow is an e-mail I recieved from The Club President........

Ronnie,

See update below from NHC trail boss on Kimsey. Any other trails that need looking at prior to USFS road closure and the start of the 2010 thru hiker season?
Bill

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:06:29 -0400

Bill- Half the crew cleared the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap to the Campground. Victor is aware of the blazing needed at the Deep Gap area and the Landing Zone parking 0.75 miles from Deep Gap. You can let Ronnie Haven know the trail should be clear for emergencies once the gates are closed.

On another note, the crew will be walking to Georgia next week. If you are coming we are meeting at 8 am at the club house.
Don

sbennett
11-04-2009, 22:17
thanks for sending that info along Ron; I got confused at that random parking lot (I believe he called it the Landing Zone) the last time I went up that trail....what direction does the trail go after that to get to Deep Gap?

Ron Haven
11-05-2009, 16:48
thanks for sending that info along Ron; I got confused at that random parking lot (I believe he called it the Landing Zone) the last time I went up that trail....what direction does the trail go after that to get to Deep Gap?
Walk left past the steel forest service gate and turn right up the hill but I usually step out into the road and turn left.It is shorter.