PDA

View Full Version : lafuma sleeping bags

The Phoenix
11-03-2009, 13:00
dirt cheap and cheaply made... mine and two other fellas I knew had our lafuma bags all torn up shortly after the purchase... but nonetheless the price is unbeatable. I used my bag ripped the whole way south from ME to MD. They do send replacement bags out from what I understand.

Manwich
11-03-2009, 13:17
I've discovered the Lafuma Warm and Light should only be used when it's Warm and Light out.

Ramble~On
11-03-2009, 13:34
I picked up a LaFuma summer bag around Rockfish Gap. It was cheap...and it was cheap! The stitching started coming apart after a few days. I got what I paid for though...it did the job. I still have it and am happy with it.
The Pheonix...it was good to see you again on Franconia. I hope the rest of your hike was critter free.

sheepdog
11-03-2009, 13:53
I like mine. It has held up well.

Cabin Fever
11-03-2009, 14:09
I have two and they have both held up well. My 10 degree warm n light 1600 works great. Used it last weekend.

Jester2000
11-03-2009, 14:46
My Pro 950 did well on the entire PCT. And I'm still using it. I love it.

Blissful
11-03-2009, 15:43
My son used his for the summer in '07 and it was fine for then.

mister krabs
11-03-2009, 16:17
I like my 950 pro and 650x. They were cheap, haven't had any quality issues and are true to their EN comfort ratings (not the extreme rating that they stamp on them and market them at)

TroutEhCuss
11-03-2009, 17:00
I bought mine for slightly over $50 by haggling with the discount store manager. It was compact, light, and did the job - I added a lap fleece blanket to throw inside just incase. If your going light-weight in the summer, this is a cheap starter bag, but nothing more.

Spokes
11-03-2009, 17:36
My summer bag this year was a Lafuma 40 degree x650. Not more than 6 weeks into the hike the entire inner baffle liner shredded apart. Lafuma made good and sent me a new one with no hassles.

I enjoyed the bag but it did feel kind weird- sorta like trying to sleep wrapped up in that fake Halloween spider web stuff. Get the picture?

The Phoenix
11-03-2009, 23:14
What spokes just said was right on. haha

Rocketman
11-04-2009, 10:55
I am impressed that people who bought a real cheap bag are here to complain that the company that makes cheap bags is at fault for an individual having a poor experience.

The buyer of the cheap bag, just like the buyer of cheap drugs, bears some responsibility for the outcome. Complaints about the bag/drug dealer don't always elicit sympathy.

The Phoenix
11-04-2009, 11:35
Yeah I think that is really what's going on here... I wish this forum was called PLEASE FEEL BAD FOR ME!!!

I just read everyones post and I don't think anyone wanted sympathy... I just read what everyone wrote and I don't think one person said they hated it, switched it out, or didn't like it. You itchin' to rip on people or what dude? It's called gear review... you write your experience about what happend with your gear... perhaps you just want to complain about what other people right for the sake of it?

Manwich
11-04-2009, 12:04
Everybody is giving their honest review on Lafuma Sleeping Bags. Problem with that?

hikingtime
11-04-2009, 23:59
I love Lafuma bags. I have never had a single problem with them.

Arizona
11-05-2009, 15:34
Many people confuse low price with low quality. The bags I have had have been excellent quality. As for the temperature rating, Outside Magazine said, .." it one of the warmest two-pound bags we've seen..."
http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gear.tcl?gear=Lafuma-Pro-950-Down&gear_id=4362&action=showgear

mister krabs
11-05-2009, 17:06
Many people confuse low price with low quality. The bags I have had have been excellent quality. As for the temperature rating, Outside Magazine said, .." it one of the warmest two-pound bags we've seen..."
http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gear.tcl?gear=Lafuma-Pro-950-Down&gear_id=4362&action=showgear

That review *is* for their most expensive bag at 280$ retail, so it better be at least pretty good. As I've said, I like mine, but I'm not tough on gear and it doesn't get as many nights on the trail as I'd like. I've never used a MB or WM or even a Marmot so have nothing super premium to compare it to, but then again, they never come up at 120$ on steepandcheep. My 650x was 35 bucks, and paid for itself in the dozen or so nights I used it this summer. It very well may be the same bag the OP was talking about but I haven't had any tears or loose threads.

Jester2000
11-05-2009, 17:19
That review *is* for their most expensive bag at 280$ retail, so it better be at least pretty good. As I've said, I like mine, but I'm not tough on gear and it doesn't get as many nights on the trail as I'd like. I've never used a MB or WM or even a Marmot so have nothing super premium to compare it to, but then again, they never come up at 120$ on steepandcheep. My 650x was 35 bucks, and paid for itself in the dozen or so nights I used it this summer. It very well may be the same bag the OP was talking about but I haven't had any tears or loose threads.

That's kind of my issue with this thread and its title -- the OP makes reference to Lafuma bags in general, but not the specific bag. Yeah, their bottom of the line cheaper bags might well fall apart.

On the other hand, my 950 Pro Down was a perfect bag for my PCT thru-hike, and reasonably priced compared to comparable bags.

tuswm
11-24-2009, 00:41
My Pro 950 did well on the entire PCT. And I'm still using it. I love it.

I recently went on a month long camping trip with 4 different 3 season down bags.

this on, a kelty light year 20
a marmot 20
and rei sub kilo 20

all about the same weight and pack size

REI was the most optimistic temp rating

the light year zippers sucked in warmer weather

the lufafalafel had nice loft and was one of the warmer bags but the zipper was the worst of all the bags, the hood was the worst of all the bags, the stuff sack was the worst of all the bags, did I mention the zipper sucked. I always felt stuck inside.

The marmot was as good or better then any bag in any way, zipper warmth, weight, pack size, blah blah blah nice bag.

on a side note the marmot bags are the only sleeping bags I have found that zip together like they were designed to zip together.

Jester2000
11-24-2009, 11:37
A good point that I didn't mention -- I immediately ditched the strangely complicated and overengineered stuff sack for my Lafuma bag, but I pretty much do that for every sleeping bag I've owned.