PDA

View Full Version : 3 state challenge (Mass to NY)

The Phoenix
11-03-2009, 13:05
Me and my buddy Etchasketch pulled off operation F Connecticut and cruised from the Mass/CT boarder to the App. Trail train station and caught a train into the City for a few zeros... but it really wasn't that bad... the weather (cold rain) throughout the night made it a bit tougher and there were period of delirium... but all in all it was a good push and pretty cool to say I did a 59 mile day.

If your into that kind of stuff... give it a go! Plus you don't have to deal with CT's silly prices.

Manwich
11-03-2009, 13:10
What are you going on about? You're saying you hiked 59 miles in one day?

The Phoenix
11-03-2009, 13:12
That's what I'm going on about... yes.

XCskiNYC
11-03-2009, 13:41
Were you guys just north of Mt. Schaghticoke Rd, just before Bulls Bridge, at about 1300 hours on 30 October?

takethisbread
11-03-2009, 21:14
just to give perspective, that 5mph for twelve hours, no breaks, with a pack on your back. That's over very rocky terrain and aside from the five miles along the housatonic river, some tough stretches like St Johns Ledges, and Schagiatoke mtn and Bear mtn.
If that's not running, it's certainly jogging the entire time.
Color me jealous or suspect.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2009, 21:30
While people can hike any way they wish, I can't help but notice that whenever something like this comes up, the participants insist that it was done for private reasons, as a personal challenge of some sort.

How curious then, that so many of these intensely "personal challenges" are announced publicly. :D

Mags
11-03-2009, 21:38
This forum is for speed hiking, trail running and related activities.

Ya like it, cool.
Ya don't like it, also cool.

OTOH, just because you like chocolate ice cream, that doesn't mean vanilla ice cream sucks. :sun

So, talking about an endurance hike is very appropriate here....be it for personal reasons or bragging. Otherwise, why the heck even announce you completed a thru-hike anywhere.

In any case, the OP simply said If you are into that kind of stuff... give it a go!

I'll add: If you are NOT into that stuff... THEN LET IT GO! :)

Just sayin'....

just to give perspective, that 5mph for twelve hours, no breaks, with a pack on your back. .

Just for the record, the OP never did say how long it took.

In my stab at ultra running, I covered ~71 miles in 22 hrs in the Colorado mtns (I started to black out when I DNFd..but that's another story. ;) )..granted without a pack. In easier terrain (flatter part of Wyo. It was not 12k elev gain!), I covered 52 miles in just under 13 hrs (again, granted w/o a pack). 60 miles with a light pack, plenty of Snickers and a good headlamp? It is how my friend finished the CDT. :)

I am saying all this not to show my woeful times in my stab as an ultrarunner (or my friend's kick ass finish to her CDT trek) but to show I think the figures are very believable.

Happy Trails...no matter how you choose to travel on them! :sun

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2009, 21:40
I failed to see the title of this particular hiking Forum.

Mags' comments above are 100% correct.

Phreak
11-03-2009, 21:54
Me and my buddy Etchasketch pulled off operation F Connecticut and cruised from the Mass/CT boarder to the App. Trail train station and caught a train into the City for a few zeros... but it really wasn't that bad... the weather (cold rain) throughout the night made it a bit tougher and there were period of delirium... but all in all it was a good push and pretty cool to say I did a 59 mile day.

If your into that kind of stuff... give it a go! Plus you don't have to deal with CT's silly prices.
Great job! I am curious as to how many hours it took you to cover the 59 miles. Nothing like banging out a high mileage day.

Mags
11-03-2009, 21:59
I failed to see the title of this particular hiking Forum.

It's all good. I've made my share of mistakes.. Just ask any ex-gf. :)

Don H
11-03-2009, 22:26
Glad you made it. Did you get to Harper's Ferry by October 31 as planned?
Don

Sly
11-03-2009, 22:46
Plus you don't have to deal with CT's silly prices.

How would you know about silly prices if you hiked right through? :-?

The Phoenix
11-03-2009, 23:12
Haha... well the hike took my amigo Etch about two hours less than me... woke up at the crack of dawn from Sage's Ravine (I think that's the name) and hauled ass (ON A SLACK PACK... little help from my step mom who lives in CT) it stormed like crazy from around 8 PM to 3 AM and St. John's Ledges (I think that's the name too) was a trip... I am really not tootin my horn too much... maybe a little.

I just know a few folks go out for the 4 state and I wanted to (I'm sure we aren't the first) bring some light to another challenge... because people certainly like to push on the trail. (a certain breed of hiker at least)

I know of at least a half dozen hikers from Blue Sky and Green Lite to Rocket doing over 70 miles in 24 hours and Sideshow did 60 something... the 59 required a lot of high energy jacked up with good stuff snacks and the "3 p's" persistence, positivity, and pace. Every Mountain top we got to we screamed "press on" and kept quoting old Calvin C's quote on persistence. (which is worth checking out if you haven't read it)

It was mentally tough... but knowing there were zeros in NYC coming up physically I knew I could go for broke.

I'm far from a trail runner or speed hiker... I wear damn crocs for Pete's sake. I hardly ever go over 2.5-3 MPH unless it's to get to Ming's Garden AYCE in Waynesboro VA then I run at 6 MPH:banana

forgot how old white-blaze works... can't post nothin with out a little debate... glad to be back:)

Godspeed

-The Phoenix-