PDA

View Full Version : Hiking SNP in early April - any advice?

Pony Express
11-03-2009, 13:56
I have hiked the Smoky's and also DWG to Kent, Conn. Just wondering what the weather will be like in early April (my spring break for school). The Smoky's were COLD!! DWG to Conn - RAIN almost daily! Am I going to experience the same type of weather basically? Snow? More rain ... loved the rain :(

I am planning to do from Waynesboro to Front Royal. I believe one wayside will be open according to the SNP website. Should be fun!! Boomer (we both hiked in '09), my friend from the Smoky's will be joining me - anyone else is welcome to come. 102 Miles total in 7 - 8 days.

Contact me @[email protected]

Have a great day!
Pony Express

Lemni Skate
11-12-2009, 06:46
April is actually a low rain time for Virginia, doesn't mean you won't get any, but it is our third dryest month (behind Dec. and Feb.).

Average Temps for April 1-10 in Winchester are

Low: 39 (April 1) to 41 (April 10)
High: 59 (April 1) to 61 (April 10)

Record temps over this time period

Low: 21 (2002)
High: 86 (1991)

I figure you can subtract 5 degrees for the park (maybe 10 for Big Meadows)

Lemni Skate
11-12-2009, 06:48
I would think snow would be rare in early April, but not impossible. I did this in the other direction in late May year before last and it was rarely warm, but we just had an unusually cold snap that week.

Cookerhiker
11-12-2009, 09:04
This recent thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55667) also has some info for you.