PDA

View Full Version : 2 night loop hikes

Rancher
11-03-2009, 14:32
Hey folks, how bout some ideas for a 2 night return to starting point hike for Christmas break. My 15 y.o. son is getting the itch and so am I. We prefer to hike on the upper elevations, but we go anywhere. However we're not planning on crossing any deep creeks. Thanks

Shutterbug
11-03-2009, 15:06
Hey folks, how bout some ideas for a 2 night return to starting point hike for Christmas break. My 15 y.o. son is getting the itch and so am I. We prefer to hike on the upper elevations, but we go anywhere. However we're not planning on crossing any deep creeks. Thanks

You said that you "go anywhere." If you are willing to travel completely across the country, the Ozette Loop trail is a great hike even in the winter. There are no creeks to ford, but one has to observe the tide schedule. Parts of the hike can be made only at low tide.

Here is a link: http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/ozette-loop.htm

Rancher
11-04-2009, 11:42
Wow, thanks that place looks great, but I guess I meant within the Great Smokies area.:-?

Doctari
11-04-2009, 16:08
Park at the Elkmont campground (ask for directions to the backcountry trailhead at ranger station in park) Jake's creek (300' or so) to L on Cucumber Gap trail (2.4 mi) then R on Little river Trail (1 mi) R on Goshen Prong trl (7.7 mi) to the AT, to R on AT (5.2 mi) to Miry Ridge trl, (5.0 mi) to Jake's creek trl 2.9 mi back to car Grand total miles about 24.5
I camped 1st night at campsite 23 (reservation required). A nice level site at the jct of several streams. 2nd night at 26, oddly, I have no memory of this place. I vaguely remember no water, but I could be wrong, & I can't find my notes or the guide book. I MAY have gone down Lynn camp prong for water, seems to have been a short hike. Sorry about this, it was 15 years ago. I do remember I had a good hike.

You do cross a few deep creeks, but all were bridged last time I was there.

Side note: The little river trail USED to go all the way to Clingmans dome, or at least near it on the AT.

HikerRanky
11-04-2009, 18:21
Hey Rancher,

Another route you could also take would be Little River trail to Campsite 24 (reservations required). Then take the Rough Creek Trail over to Sugarland Mountain Trail which runs past the Mt. Collins shelter. joins the AT over Clingman's Dome down to Double Spring Gap shelter. Take the Goshen Prong Trail down to campsite 23 (reservations required). Spend the night there and then take that trail back to Little River trail.

Total miles is about 28 miles...

Have a great hike!

Randy

Bulldawg
11-04-2009, 18:24
How about a nice one night LOOP hike on the southeast side of the park, without needing the stinking directions??

liteweight
11-05-2009, 16:45
You could start at twentymile ranger station and go out to campsite #92. The second night head up Long Hungry Ridge and head over to campsite #13 (reserved site). The last day you will head down wolf ridge trail to complete the loop.

Rancher
11-05-2009, 18:05
Hey Liteweight
Thanks for the recommendation. I did that hike about 25 years ago and it is on my radar for this trip.

Ashepabst
11-05-2009, 19:24
consider the loop up Big Creek, then up Mt Sterling and back on Baxter Creek. these are short days, but a fun hike, for sure.