PDA

View Full Version : Hiking north of smokies to Hot springs

tucker0104
11-03-2009, 15:12
Is this a difficult hike? Is there anywhere to park in hot springs? Anywhere to park in davenport gap near the trail? Is 35 miles in 2 1/2 days too much to take a beginner on?

Bearpaw
11-03-2009, 15:36
Is this a difficult hike? Is there anywhere to park in hot springs? Anywhere to park in davenport gap near the trail? Is 35 miles in 2 1/2 days too much to take a beginner on?

The hike is fairly easy for any one in decent shape.

There is a parking area right where the AT enters Hot Springs.

No, Davenport doesn't have parking to speak of. A mile down the gravel road you can park at Big Creek Ranger Station, or park at Standing Bear Farm and Hostel 2 1/2 mile up the road and get a shuttle to Davenport Gap (better option IMO).

If you are in decent shape, this is totally doable. Enjoy the views at Max Patch!

Blissful
11-03-2009, 15:43
Nice hike over Max Patch. Great views of the Smokies. Enjoy.

tucker0104
11-03-2009, 16:09
How beautiful is this part of the trail?

Slo-go'en
11-03-2009, 16:11
When do you plan on doing this hike? If its in the near future, make sure you have good weather, as both Snowbird and Max Patch are exposed peaks and will be nasty if the weather is bad.

Standing Bear would be the place to park and the trail crosses a few 100 yards down the road from the hostle. I forget if there is a parking lot near the I-40 exit at Davenport gap, but even if there were, I wouldn't trust it.

The climb out of Davenport gap to the top of Snowbird is a bit of a grunt, but not too bad. Once up and over Snowbird, the rest of the way is reasonably easy.

Slo-go'en
11-03-2009, 16:13

If you have clear weather, the views from Snowbird and Max Patch are quite nice. Actually, some of the best in the south.

Cheers
11-03-2009, 17:03
I felt in fantastic shape on my thru and did that section in 2 days, so 2 1/2 is doable. It's a great stretch of trail too, very pretty. Don't be surprised if you get socked in on Max patch. I've done it twice, once it was freezing, windy, cold, but clear. The next time i got a little lost in near zero visabilty. I hear this is not uncommon and have met people who have hiked over Max patch several times but have never seen the view (it's glorious!).
Good luck! I'll be out on that stretch again late fall.
Cheers

Farr Away
11-03-2009, 17:21

I wouldn't try to take a beginner 35 miles in one trip - not unless I didn't care if they ever wanted to go again. YMMV.

-FA

bigcranky
11-03-2009, 18:27
A real beginner? As in, no prior backpacking experience? The climb up Snowbird with a pack is going to be a cast iron witch. Max Patch has the potential to be stunningly gorgeous, or totally socked in (though that has its charm too). Lots of up and down in that stretch, but some beautiful spots, too.

modiyooch
11-04-2009, 08:36
I hope you are aware that the gap is closed by a landslide on i40. last I heard was 4 months.

Bearpaw
11-04-2009, 08:56
I hope you are aware that the gap is closed by a landslide on i40. last I heard was 4 months.

Davenport Gap itself isn't closed, nor is any part of the AT.

BUT, you won't be able to drive I-40 to the line and then down to Davenport Gap because I-40 is blocked by the landslide about 3 miles before the state line. You'll have to find another route than I-40, so Modiyooch's point is worth noting, since you're from Charlotte. But once you get to Davenport Gap, you'll be OK.

Hawkeye P
11-04-2009, 09:43
I did this same hike back in May of this year. It was my first trip to the AT, but not my first backpacking trip. The trip wasn't too bad at all, and I did it in 2 1/2 days. I parked in Hot Springs and took a shuttle to the trail head where I-40 and the trail meet. I started noon on Friday and made it back to Hot Springs Sunday around 6pm. I took my time and enjoyed what views I could. (It rained the entire weekend, and was near zero visibility over Max Patch) I agree with Bearpaw, anyone in any kind of shape should be able to make this in 2 1/2 days. The climb up Snowbird was the toughest climb, but not too bad. The worst was the slog down hill into Hot Springs, but this had a lot to do with the deluge of rain and me slipping, tripping, and falling half way down the mountain. :)

Gray Blazer
11-04-2009, 09:55
Sunset view from Snowbird.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/July2007128.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17980&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

The Will
11-05-2009, 01:44

It's one of my favorite stretches.

curtisvowen
11-05-2009, 07:16
Tucker, here's the driving route for you.
Asheville, I-26, 25/70 to Hot Springs and then 73 to Exit 440 on I-40, then East on 40 to Exit 451.
I don't know if GPS will pick up 73 but it's the shortcut around Newport, TN.
The other route is Cherokee, NC then Gatlinburg to Hwy. 321 to I-40.
PM me if you need details.