PDA

View Full Version : Direction

Juneau
11-03-2009, 16:30
I need direction from HWY 52 near Amicalola Falls State Park to FSR 42. I have aready done the hike to the Springer Mt Shelter and want to pick up the trail where FSR 42 intersects with the AT near Springer Mt. Is the parking lot there safe to leave my Jeep for several nights? Thank you.

Phreak
11-03-2009, 16:36
Go west (turn right out of Amicalola Falls) on Hwy 52 for approximately 13.5 miles. Turn RIGHT on Roy Road (there is a gas station at this intersection). Proceed approximately 9.7 miles to the second stop sign. Turn RIGHT on Doublehead Gap Road and proceed approximately 2.2 miles. You'll see a sign and forest service road on the RIGHT across from the Mt. Pleasant Church. Follow FS 42 for 6.5 miles to the parking area (on your LEFT).

It is safe to leave your vehicle there for several days. I've done it on many occasions with no issues.

bigmac_in
11-03-2009, 16:47
Directions from the GATC website -
http://www.georgia-atclub.org/access.html

From GA Hwy. 52, 9.5 miles east of Amicalola Falls State Park or 8.5 miles west of Dahlonega, turn north at Grizzle's old store (closed, sign for store is damaged). Go 2.0 miles and turn right on USFS Road #28 (look for sign that points to Georgia Wildlife Management Area on left and sign to Jones Creek Road on right). After 2.2 miles, bear left at fork onto USFS Road #77 and go 5.1 miles. Take hard left onto USFS Road #42 and go 2.7 miles to A.T., passing a Benton MacKaye Trail crossing (diamond blazes) along the way. There is a large parking area along north side of road.

Alternate directions:

From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road.

NOTE: These Forest Service roads can be quite rough, and may be impassable by car or van in winter or very wet weather. Contact the Chattahoochee National Forest Toccoa Ranger District in Blue Ridge, Georgia (706) 632-3031 for current road conditions.

And I agree, your car should be fine in the parking lot.

Juneau
11-05-2009, 14:54
Thank you.