PDA

View Full Version : PCT section hike strategy?

winland
11-03-2009, 20:48
I won’t be able to find 4-6 months to hike the PCT any time soon. I COULD, however, do several 1 month sections. Any suggestions for the best strategy?

One approach would be to start at one end, hike as far as time allows, exit, and then restart at the point you exited. Do the trail “continuously” you might say (just several big periods of “zero days”). While I could simply split the miles into 4 or so sections and target them that way, what I don’t know is the “ideal” season/month for each section. The hike could be spread over a couple of years, esp. to optimize the weather, bugs, etc. on each section.

Another alternative would simply do each of the 4 or 5 sections in any order but still considering weather, etc.

I’m an Eastern US hiker and am familiar with the flip-flop, leapfrog, “cool breeze,” etc. approaches to the AT. Are there any similar common approaches to the PCT? Any book that addresses this?

I recognize that “ideal,” “best,” etc. are subjective – I welcome various views. For me, “ideal” = not too hot, little or no snow, minimal bugs, and no trigger-happy hunters. Rain I can handle.

Thanks all!

TwoForty
11-03-2009, 22:53
Because the airport-to-trail logistics are a pain but doable, I would map out the sections you want in 500-700 mile segments. Then find the best times to do them depending on the criteria you listed above.

Sly
11-03-2009, 22:57
It's best to hike the mostly desert southern California section (800 miles) in late Spring, however you'll probably encounter some snow in the higher mountains. Central and northern California (900 miles) in July and August. Oregon (400+) and Washington -500) in August.

One good guide may be Karen Bergers Day Hikes on the PCT which I believe detail lots of trailheads

A-Train
11-03-2009, 22:59
I won’t be able to find 4-6 months to hike the PCT any time soon. I COULD, however, do several 1 month sections. Any suggestions for the best strategy?

One approach would be to start at one end, hike as far as time allows, exit, and then restart at the point you exited. Do the trail “continuously” you might say (just several big periods of “zero days”). While I could simply split the miles into 4 or so sections and target them that way, what I don’t know is the “ideal” season/month for each section. The hike could be spread over a couple of years, esp. to optimize the weather, bugs, etc. on each section.

Another alternative would simply do each of the 4 or 5 sections in any order but still considering weather, etc.

I’m an Eastern US hiker and am familiar with the flip-flop, leapfrog, “cool breeze,” etc. approaches to the AT. Are there any similar common approaches to the PCT? Any book that addresses this?

I recognize that “ideal,” “best,” etc. are subjective – I welcome various views. For me, “ideal” = not too hot, little or no snow, minimal bugs, and no trigger-happy hunters. Rain I can handle.

Thanks all!

Lucky you! The PCT was meant to be sectioned, not thru-hiked. Hike the Sierra (Kennedy Meadows to Tahoe) in early September. Hike Washington in August or early Sept. Hike Oregon in August. Hike the desert in March or April.

Tilly
11-04-2009, 11:08
This is a great topic. I have interest in hiking the PCT over maybe a 2 season period. I have zero interest in trying to cram 2,800 miles into 5 months. I am much happier hiking around 15 miles per day with an occasional day off or short mile (<10 miles) day thrown in. Trying to hike over 20 miles a day for 5 months sounds like hell.

I would love to hear from other PCT hikers about what they think of sectioning, not in practice, but as to what sections are the best to do what time of year, or what sections take longer than others (I have no idea if terrain differential exists on the PCT or not.)

For instance, I know that Washington has a rainy season. What is the ideal time to hike through the Cascades? I realize that not every year is the same but generally speaking.

For PCT thrus, is it worth slowing down and taking your time, or would you recommend an actual thruhike as the best way to experience this trail?

sbhikes
11-04-2009, 11:50
I did the PCT in two sections, about half each time, starting in May each time. I also live in Southern California.

In my opinion, October/November is the prettiest time to hike in Southern California. Wait until we've had one good, heavy rain and the natural water supplies will have been replenished. Southbounders are still going at that time of year and so there may be water caches at some of the larger cache sites. There will be fall colors, but nothing like they have back east. The days will be pleasant in the 70s and maybe 80s in the desert and the nights will be cold, possibly in the 20s. It'll be single-digit humidity. So nice.

April/May is also a good time to hike Southern California. You'll get lots of nice flowers and great weather, but it will get hot in the desert. You can enjoy the camraderie of all the people attempting a thru-hike, too. There will be more water.

One thing to keep in mind about the Southern California section is that it's not all desert. You'll be moving every few days from desert with sage and cactus to forest and even snow. There's a small window when both are pleasant.

I hiked the Southern Sierra during the thru-hiking season and also in the Fall (October). The Fall was really nice. Much cooler and just as pretty. I thought it was better then. June was very hot, but that's when the thru-hikers do it. It's nice enough, just hot.

Most people say that September is the best month to hike the High Sierra.

The summer is fine for hiking Northern California. The flowers are fantastic in early July. Sometimes you get lucky and the mosquitoes in late June/early July are minimal. I got lucky. I started this year on July 3 at Castle Crags and it was absolutely perfect. I think Northern California would be nice all the way through October or so. Of course, there would be mosquitoes in the summer.

This year I hiked through Oregon in July. I don't recommend this. I have never been so hot and the mosquitoes are absolutely insane. I can't stress this enough. Frenzied, crazy, insane. Worse than Minnesota. Worse than Alaska. They never go to sleep. They bite instantly when they touch you. I had nightmares. It was hotter and sometimes there was less water to drink than Southern California. Can you imagine dehydration while being eaten alive by mosquitoes? Where do they come from?

This year I hiked through Washington in August. They say that August is the driest month. I was rained on frequently. But it was very beautiful and green. I would recommend August or September. Most thru-hikers get there in October and they are running from the weather. Plus the bakery in Stehekin closes in October. You don't want to miss out on the bakery.