PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Trip Recommendations

mts4602
11-04-2009, 08:44
Looking for ideas for a 2 day trip no more than 10 miles per day.

We are planning on coming down late friday night so if there is a way we can hike a short distance the first night to a campsite that would be great. Otherwise we will just get a hotel or stay in a front country campground.

Thanks,

MTS

Trailweaver
11-04-2009, 10:40
Give us a general idea of where you are "coming down" to. . . which part of the trail are you looking at hiking?

mts4602
11-04-2009, 11:01
We're coming down the smokies, that's why I put it in this forum.

It doesnt have to be the AT. Open to any suggestions within the park.

Hikes in Rain
11-04-2009, 13:23
I think Trailweaver means "which side of the Smokies". West, east, north, south? It's a really BIG park. That could help pin down some trips.

elmotoots
11-04-2009, 14:20
The first thing that jumped out to me was a hike up over Rocky Top to Thunderhead Mt

It would be nice to be able to get a night in Spence Field or Russel Field shelters for this one

Night 1
Go to Cades Cove and spend the night in the campground there or hike 4 miles up to campsite number 9

Next day hike up to the AT over Rocky Top then to ThunderHead Mt return back across the AT to the Russell Field trail to campsite 10.

Next day would be a short hike out for the return trip home.

My youngest son and I did this in a day hike this year so it should make a really nice two day hike. I have some pics if you want to see give e-mail address.

Steve

Ashepabst
11-04-2009, 14:24
take the AT from Davenport to Cosby Knob, and loop back on the Big Creek Tr. views from Cammerer are A+. Davenport's close enough to the road to get to with a late start.

Black bear
11-04-2009, 16:23
I did an out and back at campsite 9 in Oct. Went up to Rocky Top. At that time campsite 10 was closed due to bear activity. But, the hike to RT and the views were absolutely awesome. I would highly recommend that hike.