PDA

View Full Version : Energizer Ultimate Lithum AA Batteries

Manwich
11-04-2009, 10:05
I hate to be a shill for the big guys but I honestly love Energizer Ultimate Lithum AA Batteries. They come in the black/grey/blue pack and say "last 8x as long in Digital Appliances."

They're 1/3rd the weight of Alkaline batteries, last much much longer and work perfectly under really cold conditions.

I've thrown 3 into my GPS and 2 into my Digital Camera and I'm honestly waiting for these things to die. I took upwards of 500 pictures on my 7-day section hike through Vermont with just 2 AA batteries in august. I've probably taken 100 more since then.

Okie Dokie
11-04-2009, 10:59
Consumer Reports agrees with you...good product...

Jayboflavin04
11-04-2009, 12:55
My friend went through 3 sets of regular alkalines in his camera. I had to give him my backups on the trail. What do they say "Dont leave home without em"!"

Dogwood
11-04-2009, 13:36
I've tried to have all my on trail electronics - camera, headlamp, MP player, and I wish even a cell phone that I sometimes tote, all use Energizer Lithium and Advanced Lithium AAA batteries. Makes it simpler for me that way. Yes, these batteries are pricey, but they last MUCH longer than any other AAA battery that I've used - Worth the intial up front cost in the long run!

brooklynkayak
11-04-2009, 17:44
They also work much better in the cold.

Disney
11-04-2009, 18:00
Yeah they're awesome. Easily worth the extra few dollars. I can't believe there's still a market for the alkaline ones. At this point, shouldn't everybody know?

Manwich
11-04-2009, 18:00
Consumer Reports agrees with you...good product...

Had to laugh when I looked that up...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/cameras-photography/peripherial-devices/aa-batteries/overview/aa-batteries-ov.htm

After loading pairs of the batteries in point-and-shoot digital cameras, we followed a lengthy protocol: Turn on the camera, zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, turn on the flash, take five pictures with 30 seconds between each, and much more of the same. That tested the limits of the AA batteries, because zooming and flashing drain lots of power. Our top-rated battery took 637 photos;

Exactly my experience.

Franco
11-04-2009, 18:11
Using that method (CIPA standard) I took more than 400 shots (I gave up after that) with the Sanyo Eneloop ( rechargeable) inside a Canon Powershot (2AA) . That was over a period of about two months . ( the camera was on my desk at work...)
Franco

Dogwood
11-04-2009, 18:40
Yeah, I agree Franco there are rechargable batteries that are more eco-friendly and can give a bigger bang for the buck/hr. of energy provided but that also requires a charger and time to recharge the batteries. At home or, as in youir case, at work this is probably the more cost effective way to go, but while on the trail, especially while thru-hiking long distances I would rather leave the charger at home, free up my time, and just take Energizer Lithiums.

Mags
11-04-2009, 18:52
I *used* to use rechargeable batteries.

But they lose their ability to recharge after a while, they do not last as long as the lithium batteries and they bite the big one in colder weather (Very important to me as I play a lot in late Fall through early Spring when it is still cold out in Colorado).

I'm all for being green friendly (I like to use re-usable grocery bags for example and have switched to CF bulbs), but if the tool does not work I ain't gonna use it.

Franco
11-04-2009, 18:56
Always horses for courses..
I just posted that as an alternative and for a lot of hiking it can work, but thruhiking has an all different set of rules...
I did that because I was intrigued by the relatively low amperage of the Eneloop yet on some preliminary quick tests they performed better in cameras than much higher rated NiMah types. The "trick" is low self discharge and the capacity of keeping the voltage above 1 V till the end. (I was the batt buyer for the shop and used to write articles on photo gear for the trade)

Franco

Franco
11-04-2009, 18:57
BTW, the Eneloop work down to -15c (5f)

Manwich
11-04-2009, 18:59
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums work down to -40f

Dogwood
11-04-2009, 19:12
Who knew? You're a down under battery nerd Franco! LOL

brooklynkayak
11-04-2009, 19:50
BTW, the Eneloop work down to -15c (5f)

Hmmm, I might have to check out the Eneloops.
I got tired of the standard NmHi rechargeable not working in the cold and could only carry them in the warm weather months.

For a review:
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

Snowleopard
11-04-2009, 20:07
Eneloop and lithium batteries both have low discharge rates. If you're storing a seldom used flashlight in your car, lithiums are best; they'll still have their charge when you go to use them. Regular alkaline batteries aren't bad for things like headlamps on a long hike when it's not cold; lithiums are better but more expensive.

I'm not quite sure why, but the current drain patterns of cameras works out a lot better with lithiums or NiMH than alkalines.

Lithiums "Weigh 1/3 less than standard alkaline batteries", i.e., they're 2/3 the weight.

Tipi Walter
11-04-2009, 20:28
But after the lithiums wear down, you still have to toss them, right? Must be hard to do with such a fine product, or an expensive one.

MintakaCat
11-04-2009, 20:37
But after the lithiums wear down, you still have to toss them, right? Must be hard to do with such a fine product, or an expensive one.

Well, I bought a new digital camera back last November and installed them in the new camera. As of today, they are still going strong. I never figured thay would last this long.

So I have no idea of what it's like to toss them.

Manwich
11-04-2009, 20:38
Lithiums "Weigh 1/3 less than standard alkaline batteries", i.e., they're 2/3 the weight.

What I had on me, I measured an
Energizer Ultimate Lithium - 14g
Kirkland Alkaline - 24g

So 42% lighter, or 58% the weight.

Snowleopard
11-04-2009, 21:31
What I had on me, I measured an
Energizer Ultimate Lithium - 14g
Kirkland Alkaline - 24g

So 42% lighter, or 58% the weight.
"What I had on me..." So you not only carry lithium and alkaline batteries on you, but you carry a digital scale (at all times?) :-? Yes!! I like it.

Manwich
11-04-2009, 21:44
...i meant at my home... as i wrote it.

http://imgur.com/mr4Ag.jpg

Dogwood
11-04-2009, 23:55

No, not at all! I drill a hole in each battery and string them together to get a cool looking necklace!

leaftye
02-21-2010, 22:59
I *used* to use rechargeable batteries.

But they lose their ability to recharge after a while, they do not last as long as the lithium batteries and they bite the big one in colder weather (Very important to me as I play a lot in late Fall through early Spring when it is still cold out in Colorado).

Weird. My nimh batteries are all around 8 years old and still work well. They give hundreds of pictures in my cameras and can keep my gps powered all day plus some of the next...or about a weekend trip....actually, I haven't had it die on me yet. The only problem I have is that their self-discharge rate is pretty high, so even though they should have enough juice to power my headlamp for the entire PCT, they'll die on their own long before I reach the end of the trail.

Out here it only gets cold at night, and I'm not using my gps at night, and the headlamp lasts forever anyway, so I can't really comment on low temperature usage.

Right now my plan is to get high mah batteries for the gps, and low discharge batteries for the headlamp. Ideally I'd get both in the same battery, but I don't believe the perfect nimh battery exists yet.

leaftye
02-21-2010, 23:03
Actually, looking at the weight of the lithium batteries has me thinking that I may just use those in my headlamp. I seriously doubt I'll need to replace them on my trip, if ever...I'll probably lose the headlamp before the batteries die. I still want rechargeable batteries for the gps, and a little solar charger...that's something that I still want to work, especially if I get off trail and off schedule.

tuswm
02-23-2010, 01:57
Not all rechargables are created equal NiMH are supposed to last much longer then other recharables and normal batteries.

Cool AT Breeze
02-23-2010, 02:33
Lithium batteries don't last as long when used in a light. Alkalines beat them there. Look at the chart that comes with your light. Also don't use them in unregulated lights, it will burn them out for some reason.

fiddlehead
02-23-2010, 06:50
I have 4 eneloops that i have been recharging (guessing 60 times each) for about a year now and they are still great. (but not as good as when new)

But, if i was doing a thru-hike, i would go for the lithium throw-a-ways. lighter and longer lasting.
I would use them in my camera and gps.

My lite is a photon II and 1-2 sets of batteries is all i've ever needed for a thru-hike for the lite. (i don't night hike anymore)

ARambler
02-23-2010, 10:47
Lithium batteries don't last as long when used in a light. Alkalines beat them there. Look at the chart that comes with your light. Also don't use them in unregulated lights, it will burn them out for some reason.

Wrong. The battery does not know if you are using a light or lighting a joint. I have heard that for AAA batteries the Li do not have that much more power than alkaline and not worth the price. The Li batteries do have a higher voltage and may burn out traditional and LED lights. Even though the (unregulated) Li lights are putting out more power, they still last longer in my experience.

The NiMH rechargable are really good at drivinng motors, like the focusing and zooming of a camera. They are bad at cold temperatures and I don't like rechargables on a thru.
Rambler

bryanf
02-26-2010, 17:54
I recently did a weight analysis of rechargeable batteries vs. lithium batteries for use on long hikes:

Analysis of rechargeable batteries (http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/gps-information/1223-analysis-rechargeable-batteries.html)

JustaTouron
02-26-2010, 18:11
I recently did a weight analysis of rechargeable batteries vs. lithium batteries for use on long hikes:

Analysis of rechargeable batteries (http://www.greatwallforum.com/forum/gps-information/1223-analysis-rechargeable-batteries.html)

I think there is a serious fundamental flaw in your weight analysis between disposable batteries and rechargeable.

You seem to be assuming:

1. regular and constant locations to recharge said batteries

2. a complete inability to get new disposable batteries on the trail. Your weight analysis is based on carrying all batteries from the start.

I think both assumptions are wrong.

Recharging batteries requires either a stay in a hotel, motel or hostel (which could get quite expensive, one extra motel stay will kill whatever possible saving you would get from using rechargeables)

Obtaining disposable batteries is pretty easy. If you are doing mail drops for food, mail yourself batteries as well. If you are using grocery stores to buy food, almost all sell batteries.

bryanf
02-26-2010, 18:22
Thanks for reading my review. But you might want to read it more carefully.

You seem to be assuming:

1. regular and constant locations to recharge said batteries

From the review:

Which battery will save weight on a hike, disposable lithium or rechargeable NiMH? This depends on two things: the total legth of the hike, which dictates how many disposable batteries would be needed, and the maximum amount of time between opportunities to recharge batteries, which dictates how many rechargeable batteries would be needed.

2. a complete inability to get new disposable batteries on the trail. Your weight analysis is based on carrying all batteries from the start.

From the review:

Of course, the weight savings analysis assumes you won't be able to buy lithium batteries during your hike, which would be true on the Great Wall but not so, for example, on the Appalachian Trail.