PDA

View Full Version : need waterproofing help

healthymom
11-04-2009, 11:40
I'm relatively new, so please be gentle with me.
I bought a 2 man backpacking tent. The seller suggested that I waterproof the bathtub. What do I use?
Also, my car camping tents have started leaking with the rainfly on. I used a spray-on waterproofer, to no avail.
What do I use and where do I get it?
Thanks!
Dee
healthymom

Rocket Jones
11-04-2009, 12:48
Contact the manufacturer and ask for their recommended waterproofer.

Doooglas
11-05-2009, 07:03
Take it from somebody who lives in a climate of 200 plus inches of rain per year.
The "manufacturer" of the garbage will just sell you more garbage. Use this.
http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=10

skinewmexico
11-05-2009, 11:19
Granger's makes some good stuff.

Rocket Jones
11-05-2009, 12:08
Take it from somebody who lives in a climate of 200 plus inches of rain per year.
The "manufacturer" of the garbage will just sell you more garbage. Use this.
http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=10

Does it work on all types of material? If not, then your answer wasn't much help. Considering that the OP didn't specify what kind of tent she had, I think my original point - asking the manufacturer what they recommend - is still the better answer.

Doooglas
11-05-2009, 20:23
Does it work on all types of material? If not, then your answer wasn't much help. Considering that the OP didn't specify what kind of tent she had, I think my original point - asking the manufacturer what they recommend - is still the better answer.
Well. Being that you are Virginian I wont slam you since I was born in BlowNsmoke. Previously known as Roanoke.
The web should state the type of fabric of her gear and it'll likely be within the realm of the waterproofing agent I linked to.
The guys who built the gear will be lying scum, out for a quick buck, or the gal would have never needed to post this question to begin with !

First hint for gear ' We recommend you seal the seams on this item for best results"
Lemme translate.
This is crap and we didn't finish the job.
Thanks for your hard earned cash...............idiot.

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2009, 20:32
ouch

in the words of Douglas Fairbanks who was born in Costa Rica

Can we all get along?

Now that was BlowinSmoke.....

Hi we all need more information name of the tent, what year it was purchased how long have you actually used it... then we can talk about that bathtub.

Lyle
11-06-2009, 11:18
Wise Old Owl lived up to his name here. A little more information is in order to give you some better advice. Is this a name brand tent?

The comment that it's garbage if it needs seam sealing is totally false. Plenty of very high quality tents are sold without the seams being sealed - in fact it's very common practice.

Give us a little more info, and you will get much more usable advice.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze!!!!

canoehead
11-06-2009, 13:47
Go and buy a tube of Seam Sealer when you get that. Then apply it to all the seams on the inside of your tent. If your required to do more than that you should replace it. You may consider a waterproof sheet ( foot print) to lay on the inside floor and maybe one on the ground. It's a good cheap way to fix a simple problem. Hope it works.

Nearly Normal
11-08-2009, 06:06
If it's silnylon try,
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

This has been posted before.

Doooglas
11-08-2009, 16:03
The comment that it's garbage if it needs seam sealing is totally false. Plenty of very high quality tents are sold without the seams being sealed
Welcome to WhiteBlaze!!!!
Plenty of $40,000 dollar cars are sold without floor mats included too.
Buyer beware.

healthymom
11-09-2009, 09:18
OK, sorry to post then take off. I just got back from running a festival for 600 people.
I'm leaving again tomorrow for a 5-day hiking trip. There is a 70% chance of rain our first day out.
The 2 tents in question: I have a 3 room car-camping tent from Target. Brand name Greatland. The rainfly no longer does its job. I had waterproofed it with some spray stuff about a year ago. Last trip out in this tent, we got rain every day. We were fine after we threw a tarp over the rainfly. The spray stuff had apparently worn off.
Backpacking tent: MSR 2 person, not a Hubba Hubba. I bought this one here on White Blaze. The guy I bought it from suggested I waterproof or seal the bathtub. When I asked what he suggested, he didn't reply.
I went to both Target and Sports Authority. Target had nothing for waterproofing. Sports Authority only had tubes of seal sealer.
We are taking the 2 man when we leave tomorrow. We have cut a footprint. Will that be enough? It has a rainfly. (Untested at this point.)
My son and I camp and day hike alot. We are now getting more into backpacking and multi-day hikes.
Thanks!
Dee
healthymom

Nearly Normal
11-09-2009, 23:01
http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx

Too late for tommorro but....at least all untaped seams from the interior.