PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Precip-like repair

cruisaire
11-04-2009, 14:29
I picked up what I believe to be an older precip yesterday. The whitish tyvek-looking inner lining is coming off in places (flecks that look like dried liquid paper). Is there a DIY coating I can apply to replace this material? It's a really nice outer, blem free and not something I'd want to toss out unnecessarily, know what I mean? Thanks!

cruisaire
11-04-2009, 21:50
I do understand that I "could" send it back to Marmot, pay a fee and be done with it. Just curious if there is a DIY way (read cheap!) alternative.

Mags
11-04-2009, 23:31
Apply duct tape to jacket. Iron on duct tape with very low heat.

It ain't pretty, but it works.

(Colored duct tape (http://duckproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=1&SubID=1) is sold now, however. So maybe it ain't all that fugly)

Tinker
11-04-2009, 23:31
The coating is basically polyurethane, so I imagine you could clean the spot thoroughly with denatured alcohol, let dry, and apply some K-Kote or similar polyurethane designed for fabrics. A foam brush would probably be the most even method of application. Mind you, I've only done this to tent floors, and the repaired product doesn't seem to hold up like the original.

JimM
11-05-2009, 10:21
The coating is basically polyurethane, so I imagine you could clean the spot thoroughly with denatured alcohol, let dry, and apply some K-Kote or similar polyurethane designed for fabrics. A foam brush would probably be the most even method of application. Mind you, I've only done this to tent floors, and the repaired product doesn't seem to hold up like the original.
I repaired a worn sport on the inside of an older jacket this way. It sounds like a similar coating to what is on my jacket. As I remember it, after the coating dried, I washed the jacket in nikwash. The repair and the waterproofing has held up fine for awhile now.

cruisaire
11-05-2009, 16:56
Thnaks to all, ya'll covered good options for an older shell. Thanks!