PDA

View Full Version : Michigan WBers

sheepdog
11-04-2009, 14:56
How many hikers from Michigan on the WB?

ShelterLeopard
11-04-2009, 16:28
Well, my family spends the whole summer in Michigan... but I'm from New Jersey. (I'd say I'm nearly from Michigan) Ever been to Traverse City or Higgins Lake?

stickat04
11-04-2009, 17:15
I just moved from Michigan, lived there most of my life.

Toolumpy
11-04-2009, 18:59
Hey there I hiked from Springer Mountain to Hot Springs this spring. Took 13 days and had a wonderful time. Hope to start next at Hot Springs and go for 4 weeks, wont be 2010 but hopefully 2011 or 2012. Living near Vicksburg

Kerosene
11-04-2009, 19:19
Just got back from Erwin to Max Patch for my annual AT section hike. I would've gone to Davenport Gap if the @#$! avalanche hadn't taken out I-40!

sheepdog
11-04-2009, 19:40
Well, my family spends the whole summer in Michigan... but I'm from New Jersey. (I'd say I'm nearly from Michigan) Ever been to Traverse City or Higgins Lake?
I live at Higgins lake and go to TC often

TrekkerJeff
11-04-2009, 19:48
We live in the eastern UP. We spent 8 days on Isle Royale canoeing and hiking back in September. My wife and I are planning to hike the AT after we retire...hopefully starting March of 2011.

TrekkerJeff

ShelterLeopard
11-04-2009, 20:28
I live at Higgins lake and go to TC often

What? Where? That's awesome. My family shares a cottage on the north side of the lake (in Sunset Park, just off of E. Higgins Lake Drive, near the BP station, the Town & Country Store, and the old Pine Pantry) And I have family in Traverse City, and go there all the time.

sheepdog
11-04-2009, 20:51
I live on the north west corner of the lake near the Silver Dollar Bar

ShelterLeopard
11-04-2009, 21:02
That's crazy! I never meet anyone who's even been to Higgins Lake (well, one person). Keep an eye out for me this summer- I'll be the insanely buff (from my successful thru hike), possibly bad smelling hiker who tries to windsurf and gets stuck in the middle of the lake with the purple, yellow and red sail that's too big for me.

ShelterLeopard
11-04-2009, 21:03
And I know the Silver Dollar.

Pringles
11-04-2009, 21:26
I live in Sault Ste. Marie. I was at Higgins Lake, once, for safety training for my kayaking group. Pretty but cold.

My weekend hikes are at Pictured Rocks, and occasionally Lake Superior Provincial Park.

Pringles

Petr
11-04-2009, 21:38
Michigan? Yes. Hiker? Well, more of a packsniffer right now, but I'm diving in head-first and starting a thru early next season.

sheepdog
11-04-2009, 21:52
I live in Sault Ste. Marie. I was at Higgins Lake, once, for safety training for my kayaking group. Pretty but cold.

My weekend hikes are at Pictured Rocks, and occasionally Lake Superior Provincial Park.

Pringles
I did the Pictured Rocks Trail this year. What a great hike.

The Weasel
11-05-2009, 03:36
I'm from Michigan. I just happen to live in California. But I still look at my hand when people ask me where my hometown is, and I am still confident that the Lions will once again be World Champions.

TW

Blade
11-05-2009, 10:42
Another Michigan hiker here. I've been doing an annual hike at Isle Royale for the last few years ... maybe some day I'll get to the AT.

Isle Royale is fantastic but a long way to go. I've started looking at hikes closer to home. Maybe Waterloo-Pinckney?

Lyle
11-05-2009, 13:41
Michigan here, the thumb. Think no one's heard of Higgins Lake, try Croswell!!!!

The Tittabawassee Chapter of the NCTA has it's annual meeting in January, usually at Coyles Restaurant in Higgins Lake. Join us.

We also have meetings in Sanford at Alex's Railside Restaurant (tonight at 6:30 PM) and at the Fish Hatchery in the Jordan Valley.

kayak karl
11-05-2009, 14:03
How many hikers from Michigan on the WB?
does all yous from Michigan talk funny like you???:D

KK

sheepdog
11-05-2009, 17:15
Michigan here, the thumb. Think no one's heard of Higgins Lake, try Croswell!!!!

The Tittabawassee Chapter of the NCTA has it's annual meeting in January, usually at Coyles Restaurant in Higgins Lake. Join us.

We also have meetings in Sanford at Alex's Railside Restaurant (tonight at 6:30 PM) and at the Fish Hatchery in the Jordan Valley.
Send me a notice and I would like to be there.

KK
Nope, I'm one of a kind!!!

sheepdog
11-05-2009, 17:15
Wonder if we could get a little Michigan Ruck going???

ShelterLeopard
11-05-2009, 19:03

KK

Hey Karl- I happen to know Pennsville a bit- and you cain't point fingures at no one!

Lilred
11-05-2009, 19:22
Born and raised in Michigan. Spent much of my youth around Clare, a lake called Five Lakes. Hiking the North Country Trail through Michigan is top of my list, right after I finish the AT

Kerosene
11-05-2009, 22:18
I've started looking at hikes closer to home. Maybe Waterloo-Pinckney?Let me know if you'd like to take a look at my trail journal from my October 1999 hike of the W-P. There's not much elevation change, but it was pretty nice with the Fall colors. Two nights and 3 days unless you want to push hard.

jrwiesz
11-06-2009, 04:29
Wonder if we could get a little Michigan Ruck going???

We could meet in Higgins Lake area; you're in charge of the set-up. Let me know how I can help. Let's try for after the new year?

Isle Royale Rocks!!! :sun

Lyle
11-06-2009, 10:55
I'm game for a Ruck, but need at least a month or two notice.

Correction to my earlier post: The January meeting of the Tittabawassee Chapter is at Coyles in Houghton Lake, not Higgins Lake. Not too far off.

sheepdog
11-08-2009, 23:52
We could meet in Higgins Lake area; you're in charge of the set-up. Let me know how I can help. Let's try for after the new year?

Isle Royale Rocks!!! :sun
I'll see what I can work out.

fredmugs
11-09-2009, 10:35
Grew up in Saginaw and left as soon as I could. Have family in St Helen and my Dad used to live a block from Houghton Lake and I had an uncle who lived near Higgins Lake and I've been all over that area.

I think humping up and down sleeping bear sand dunes would be great training for the AT.