PDA

View Full Version : Big Laurel Falls

GeneralLee10
11-04-2009, 17:05
I found this info:
This pretty waterfall is located 5 miles past Standing Indian Campground. The easy, 0.5-mile trail to the base of
Big Laurel Falls follows the path of an old logging railroad. from this site http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/water.html

Can any of you tell me exactly where it is? I find the campground on my map which shows it on the Kimsey Creek Trail North of Standing Indian Shelter (3mi +/-). Is this where the falls is located at? I will be in this area next week and think it would make for a nice hike to see. Any help would be nice and I do thank you for it.

GeneralLee10
11-04-2009, 17:17
I just found this info:
two trail signs "Timber Ridge" and "Big Laurel." The trail drops down via switchbacks and crosses Mooney Creek on a footbridge. The trail to the falls turns to the right, while the Timber Ridge Trail goes to the left.

I found the Timber Ridge Trail on my map shows the intersection just South of Carter Gap Shelter. Can any of you confirm this for the side trail to the Falls? If so is there anything I need to know about turns and such so I don't pass it (the Falls).

Doughnut
11-04-2009, 17:43
Yes, If you are parking at Standing Indian, AFTER your hike, drive past the campground, the FS road soes within 1/4 mile (my guess) of it. The trail from AT is steep down and up, the trail from the road is full of roots (follows creek).

Far better, IMO to drive there after the hike or, get off AT at Betty's Creek gap, hike the road to the falls, then back to the gap.

DoughNut