PDA

View Full Version : Wingfoot's "Notice" about register entries

SavageLlama
08-16-2004, 23:14
Did anyone see Wingfoot's "Notice" in the back of the latest ATN newsletter?
Notice: Occasionally, people are tempted to add vulgar or insulting entries to trail registers and then sign my Trail name underneath. This has happened several times this year. I stopped signing Trail registers about a dozen years ago, so, if you see a "Wingfoot" signature in a register nowadays, it's a fake. For the same reason, the only place you will find me participating in Internet discussions is on the Trailplace.com Web site. Thanks for passing word on to others who may not be aware. -Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce

I nearly busted a gut when I saw this.. But I'll be laughing even harder if I see any "vulgar" register entries with his name... :D :D

It's in the latest ATN..
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/index.html

illininagel
08-16-2004, 23:20
I think it's a shame that people would feel compelled to sign someone else's name to something that they entered. It has the potential of erroneously impacting one's reputation and is just plain wrong in my view.

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 00:09
[/indent]I nearly busted a gut when I saw this.. But I'll be laughing even harder if I see any "vulgar" register entries with his name... :D :D

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/index.html

me too...one of the funniest things that I have read in a long time..and that the ATC would find it necessary to print such rubbish.

attroll
08-17-2004, 00:12
There are some things that I do not think Wingfoot handels to well and I don't agree with some of his logic. But I would not stoop to writing vulgar and insulting entries in trail regitries or anywhere and sign his name to it. I can not believe people do that. I know there are a lot of people out there that don't like Wingfoot and I know of a lot. But That does not give them the write to do such a thing.

This happend here on WhiteBlaze about one year ago. We had a user sign on as Wingfoot. When he started writing mean and hateful things. SGT Rock and I did some research and found out who it was and delt with it very quickly.

OK. I will step down off my soapbox now.

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 00:25
I'm sure that the incidents of folks signing "wingfoot"in shelter registers will increase due to his notification ... all hail the mighty wingfoot. what an oppourtunist.

steve hiker
08-17-2004, 00:51
Wingy has an attitude alright. Did a quick search and found this "Notice" that he posted on the Trail Days Campground Update thread:

I will personally be at the gate checking passes!! Smokey Mountain Steve, where did you get these passes. I am calling the ATC and Backpacker Magazine to check your story out. The police might be involved too. All you hikers, if you do not have my book, I will be selling them at the gate. For a small nominal fee, I will autograph your book. See you there.

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 00:57
Wingy has an attitude alright. Did a quick search and found this "Notice" that he posted on the Trail Days Campground Update thread:

:D... ;)... :banana ..

Streamweaver
08-17-2004, 01:38

Thats not the real wingfoot thats the one Attroll was talking about in the previous post. Streamweaver

Doctari
08-17-2004, 01:41
Next time I'm on the trail, Ill alternate signing Steve & Llamas names to the trail register with discorses on whatever comes to mind. Hmm, them discussing blowing up things, or molesting kids. Should be loads of laughs.

I expect you to to keep quiet about it, can't be having you be "Opportunists" now can we.

Oh, not so funny NOW?

Really?

But you voiced your opinion, why can't I write nasty things in your name? You just said it was OK to do so to Wingfoot when he voiced his opinion, so it must be OK to slam you for doing so. And in a cowardly way, by signing your name to a trail register. GREAT FUN!

BTW: When you protest this post, I'll be lauughing at you!!!!!!!! :bse

steve hiker
08-17-2004, 02:07
Thats not the real wingfoot thats the one Attroll was talking about in the previous post. Streamweaver
Yes that is the real Wingfoot, it says so right in the post: Originally Posted by Wingfoot

Mountain Dew
08-17-2004, 02:42
I can't stand wingfoot, but people who pose as him in order to further make him look bad are chicken *****. He needs no help in looking like a continous horses ass. People should really think before they make an entry into a register. Adults hike with kids at times and to think a parent might not let his kid read a register because he knows there is vulgar entry's in the register is disheartening. People that are new to the trail might also get highly turned off reading vulgar comments in registers.

orangebug
08-17-2004, 05:54
I'm just wondering. How would Wingfoot know about the number or content of such register entries? Why did he quit register entries, at least in his own trail name, in 1992? Why would he connect that to Internet postings?

Has someone been punked? I wonder when the deadline was for this issue of the ATN. Could it have been April 1?

Bill...

MedicineMan
08-17-2004, 05:57
why not use the register to leave the basic information that may help you or someone behind you?
I've enjoyed many of the tomes writ in shelter logs and had many a hearty laugh, even enjoyed the art but in the end I prefer water sightings, bear sightings, warnings of snakes, water quality, and so on....the more fluff and the more logs have to be carried in and out...asking too much I know but all i do is stamp in and time/date & relate some basic info

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 08:46
Wow.

Wingfoot has us all talking about his favorite subject - Wingfoot.

He has also given lots of people a great idea, to sign his name after nasty entries. I guess he also doesn't like competitionin this area.

He definately wants none on his website.

I vote to end this thread so we don't have to have MORE of his BS shoved in our face, if you want that - go to TP.;)

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 08:49
Next time I'm on the trail, Ill alternate signing Steve & Llamas names to the trail register with discorses on whatever comes to mind. Hmm, them discussing blowing up things, or molesting kids. Should be loads of laughs.

I expect you to to keep quiet about it, can't be having you be "Opportunists" now can we.

Oh, not so funny NOW?

Really?

But you voiced your opinion, why can't I write nasty things in your name? You just said it was OK to do so to Wingfoot when he voiced his opinion, so it must be OK to slam you for doing so. And in a cowardly way, by signing your name to a trail register. GREAT FUN!

BTW: When you protest this post, I'll be lauughing at you!!!!!!!! :bse

Ha ha ..go ahead write whatever you like..no one not even the mighty wingfoot has a monopoly or a patent on a trailname. Plus I never said it was OK..only that I think incidents will increase due to WF having this notice published in the ATN.

tlbj6142
08-17-2004, 09:01
What if there is someone else with the same trail name? Does he honestly think no one else would use the name? Heck there must be 10 Lone Wolf's every year. But we all know there can be only one.

Lone Wolf
08-17-2004, 09:04
The old man has some serious ego issues. Pomposity at it's finest. :D

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 10:22
Now I'm considering changing my name to wingfoot.

Wouldn't that be a hoot!\

Bush/Cheney 2004
Love, hugs and come on over to my site and talk about ANYTHING you'd like,:welcome
Wingfoot ( my new name!)

BTW, I have an annoucement to make..... Certain people have been using my name to post nasty posts in registers AND here on WB and sign it with MY name, I want you know it is not ME.;) And I don't tell you this to draw attention to MYSELF, I just want you to know about ME, not about MY posts, but about ME and WHO I am and what I do. I am wingfoot and I want you to pay attention to ME. Cause that's what its all about.

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 10:31
you could be rightwingfoot :D

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 10:32
HHEEEE HEEE HEEE.

Yup. That's great, I REALLY like that, seriously considering.........I may even make a costume.

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 10:38
maybe you could wear an outfit similiar to what wingfoot wore on one of his early thru hike attempts..chartruse jacket and white painter's pants ;)

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 10:39
Ah yessssssssssss. But I will add one angels wing to my right shoulder, 3d maybe......

Well, the 80's were a great time:jump Gotta love those old painters pants, and parachute pants.......

and spandex.

Chappy
08-17-2004, 10:45
you could be rightwingfoot :D
Rightwingfoot would be better than Leftout! Honestly though, I thought Eyahiker was a girl! :D

rumbler
08-17-2004, 10:54
I can't stand wingfoot, but people who pose as him in order to further make him look bad are chicken *****. He needs no help in looking like a continous horses ass. People should really think before they make an entry into a register. Adults hike with kids at times and to think a parent might not let his kid read a register because he knows there is vulgar entry's in the register is disheartening. People that are new to the trail might also get highly turned off reading vulgar comments in registers.

Like some of the artwork in Rick's entries last year? :)

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 10:59
;) Yup..............

steve hiker
08-17-2004, 11:01
Wow. Wingfoot has us all talking about his favorite subject - Wingfoot.
It's Wingfoot or Elwood.

Mountain Dew
08-17-2004, 11:03
Rumbler... hahahahaaaaa Guilty as charged...atleast the first 3 or 4 times and then others took over, BUT atleast I didn't do it in anonymity. NOT, saying it made it right. hahahaaaaa

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 11:07
I think if Elwood had a site, I'd rather go there than to Wingfoots, Elwood seems to get around pretty fast, tell lots of strange stories, and spend a lot of time in the woods these days - along with the fact that he may have some great gear for sale at a huge discount.:cool:

He is slicker than Wingfoot, he hasn't been caught yet.

But I will give Wingfoot credit for his "guide", although some of the .5 miles are far less, which is actually nice.

Tramper Al
08-17-2004, 11:51
Yeah, I saw that notice in the ATN and I find it kind of sad.

Can you imagine taking out an ad to protect your 'reputation', as least as you believe it to be?

Could it be that all this animosity toward him has something to do with his own behavior, particularly on his precious little site?

How sad for him.

Mags
08-17-2004, 11:52
Well, the 80's were a great time:jump Gotta love those old painters pants, and parachute pants.......
and spandex.

Ack! I have this memory of Bugle Boy pants and Nike high tops! :)

In all seriosness though, not too cool to write under someone's name and saying nasty things, no matter how you feel aout WF's politics or thoughts.

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 12:03
You're right. We all know where he stands at least.;)

smokymtnsteve
08-17-2004, 12:13
"don't throw me in the brairpatch"

brer"wingfoot"rabbit

Dances with Mice
08-17-2004, 12:47
How do we know that the person who bought the ad was really Wingfoot?

Jaybird
08-17-2004, 14:28
[QUOTE=eyahiker]Now I'm considering changing my name to wingfoot.
Bush/Cheney 2004
Love, hugs and come on over to my site and talk about ANYTHING you'd like,:welcome
Wingfoot ( my new name!)
etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,et c,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc

soooooooooooooo, we're listing our POLITICAL leanings on WB now?????????

hope this doesnt turn into a bulletin board for all the political dribble!

Blue Jay
08-17-2004, 14:40

hope this doesnt turn into a bulletin board for all the political dribble!

It's OK, we're even, I'm tired of your constant One-Leg gusshing. But I'm grateful we still have freedom of speech here, so keep it up.

eyahiker
08-17-2004, 14:53
Jaybird, where you been? Haven't you been following the other threads on here?

Gushing is fair game here! Why not? I'll have to go with the freedom of speech ideal.

Do we know where YOU stand? If not, please lay your cards down for all to see.:D

Frosty
08-17-2004, 18:13

hope this doesnt turn into a bulletin board for all the political dribble!Best to leave topics like religion and politics elsewhere, I think. PLenty enough else to disagree about.

weary
08-17-2004, 19:10
I'm just wondering. How would Wingfoot know about the number or content of such register entries? Why did he quit register entries, at least in his own trail name, in 1992? Why would he connect that to Internet postings?

Believe it or not Dan has a lot of friends in the hiking community. I suspect hikers see the fake entries and simply tell him what is going on.

As for why he stopped signing registers in 1992, it may be because he hasn't done any serious backpacking since then.

Weary

Nightwalker
08-19-2004, 01:16
I think it's a shame that people would feel compelled to sign someone else's name to something that they entered. It has the potential of erroneously impacting one's reputation and is just plain wrong in my view.
You're right, but a lot of folks seem to consider that anything done to Dan is totally acceptable.

Hopefully they'll never have the shoe on the other foot and have to find out how fun it ain't.

:-?

TJ aka Teej
08-20-2004, 20:48
Notice: Occasionally, people are tempted to add vulgar or insulting entries to trail registers and then sign my Trail name underneath. This has happened several times this year. I stopped signing Trail registers about a dozen years ago, so, if you see a "Wingfoot" signature in a register nowadays, it's a fake. For the same reason, the only place you will find me participating in Internet discussions is on the **********.com Web site. Thanks for passing word on to others who may not be aware. -Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce What a complete load of horsechit. More fiction from the "gear testing, seminar giving" pity-poor-me prince of self promotion.

steve hiker
08-20-2004, 21:33
Looks like Wingfoot has the Mark of Cain on him. :rolleyes:

weary
08-20-2004, 22:09
What a complete load of horsechit. More fiction from the "gear testing, seminar giving" pity-poor-me prince of self promotion.

Ok TJ. You have aroused my curiosity. What is fictional about WF's ad? I can agree that such an ad is not terribly wise in the current political climate. But fictional? untrue? Come on TJ. Do you have evidence that no one has signed his trailname in trail registers? If not, what is fictional about the ad in your opinion.

The simple explanation for the ad is that it is an attempt to clear his name from false accusations. As I said, I think this is probably unwise.

But if anyone thinks simple silence these days will in anyway eliminate deliberate distortions they are dreaming. Silence used to be a defense during more rational times, but no longer. One need only recall the routine attempts at the destruction of opponents with falsehoods in the Presidential campaign of four years ago. Or the successful destruction of Dukakis, several elections back. Even Sen. McCain, who miraculously survived years in a communist prison, was not immune from these false attacks.

I know. Wingfoot is not a candidate for president. He just runs a simple website devoted to the Appalachian Trail. But he is a victim of the same climate of ignorance and lies, that if it doesn't end, has the potential to destroy this trail -- and even this country.

Weary

orangebug
08-20-2004, 22:24
... But he is a victim of the same climate of ignorance and lies, that if it doesn't end, has the potential to destroy this trail -- and even this country.
Do we really know that the notice was posted by Wingfoot? Do we really know that there have been such vulgar messages in registers? Do we really believe that any such messages are crediblly ascribed to a person who hasn't hiked on the AT in years?

And does anyone lose any sleep over this other than a very few diehard WF fans?

Is WF so important that any slander of him is tantamount to destruction of the AT, rather than a demonstration of the pettiness of the slanderer?

Haven't you carried this drama a bit too far? :-?

Bill...

TJ aka Teej
08-20-2004, 22:51
Do you have evidence that no one has signed his trailname in trail registers? If not, what is fictional about the ad in your opinion.
You have no evidence his claim is true, Weary. You've decided to hold an opinion about the truth and motive behind it. So have I.

Pencil Pusher
08-21-2004, 00:21
Ack! I have this memory of Bugle Boy pants and Nike high tops! :)

Dang, and I thought I was so cool in that outfit back then:o

SGT Rock
08-21-2004, 10:04
And does anyone lose any sleep over this other than a very few diehard WF fans?

I don't think you will find that we have Die Hard WF fans here, just people that are now tired of hearing how WF is the AntiChrist of the AT community about every 3 months.

weary
08-21-2004, 10:50
Now I'm considering changing my name to wingfoot.

No, it wouldn't. It would be another of those egotistical, dumb, know it all things that seems to be typical of current day Christian zealots.

Regardless of whether his tactics are wise or unwise, Wingfoot is a human being who has devoted his life to the trail. He doesn't need or warrant such biased, ignorant sh-t.

Weary

SargeAT
08-24-2004, 06:49
The other wingfoot post finally died. Can't this one?

Dudeboard
08-24-2004, 17:26
The other wingfoot post finally died. Can't this one?
A thread may die, but Wingfoot cannot. 100 years from now, hikers will still be debating Wingfoot the way students today debate theories of other great philosophers.

eyahiker
08-24-2004, 17:34
No, it wouldn't. It would be another of those egotistical, dumb, know it all things that seems to be typical of current day Christian zealots.

Regardless of whether his tactics are wise or unwise, Wingfoot is a human being who has devoted his life to the trail. He doesn't need or warrant such biased, ignorant sh-t.

Weary
Oh YAWN.

The only typical behavior here is by thou own liberal, answer to no-one individual like you who must always resort to to slamming someone's religeous beliefs, and stereotyping every chance you get.

Foolish hypocrite.

AKA RIGHTwingfoot.

Frosty
08-24-2004, 18:13
Oh YAWN.

The only typical behavior here is by thou own liberal, answer to no-one individual like you who must always resort to to slamming someone's beliefs, and stereotyping every chance you get.

Foolish hypocrite.

AKA RIGHTwingfoot.Yeah, Weary. Where's your patience and love and tolerance of your fellow man? You must have been making pepsi can stoves in Sunday School instead of paying attention.

eyahiker
08-24-2004, 22:13
Yup.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

BeaverTrapper
08-25-2004, 01:00
He just runs a simple website devoted to the Appalachian Trail

I thought he ran a website devoted to himself and John Kerry. :D

eyahiker
08-25-2004, 12:52
I thought he ran a website devoted to himself and John Kerry. :DBeaver Trapper sums it all up! Yeah BT!:clap 'nuff said.

MOWGLI
08-25-2004, 13:02
You have no evidence his claim is true, Weary. You've decided to hold an opinion about the truth and motive behind it. So have I.

Do we really know that there have been such vulgar messages in registers?

I am on the phone with my co-worker Ed Talone as I type this. Ed was on the AT many times when WF was hiking. He was not aware of the WF notice in the ATN, and Ed just started telling me about the vulgar shelter register entries about WF from the late 80s. So.. for those of you who weren't on the AT in the 80s, this sort of stuff has indeed happened.

Little Bear

Lone Wolf
08-25-2004, 13:08
I was on the AT every year Wingfoot was except 1985 and I never saw any vulgar stuff written about him. Even if there was, big deal. He's a crybaby. He needs to get over himself. He's not the star/legend/icon he thinks he is.

orangebug
08-25-2004, 18:12
... Ed was on the AT many times when WF was hiking. He was not aware of the WF notice in the ATN, and Ed just started telling me about the vulgar shelter register entries about WF from the late 80s. So.. for those of you who weren't on the AT in the 80s, this sort of stuff has indeed happened.

Thanks for confirming that, but the 1980's are getting a bit into distant history. My wonder was whether there are folks making current nasty, vulgar notes and signing as WF. I can't imagine that anyone would take such notes seriously. I wonder if the notice was a spoof on its own.

Bill....

TJ aka Teej
08-25-2004, 19:14
So.. for those of you who weren't on the AT in the 80s, this sort of stuff has indeed happened.

Little Bear
So.. You're saying Wingfoot has changed his story, and his notice in the ATN was about register entries from the 80s? That must explain why no one (that I know of) on the Trail this year has seen or heard of any register entries mentioning Wingy at all.

TJ

MOWGLI
08-25-2004, 20:17
So.. You're saying Wingfoot has changed his story, and his notice in the ATN was about register entries from the 80s?
TJ

No TJ, I said no such thing. I said it happened in the 80s.

I will say this though TJ; The fact that the animus towards WF seems to have only intensified in recent years, (as exemplified by many of your postings) it leads me to believe that if it happened before, it'll happen again.

MOWGLI
08-25-2004, 20:19
Thanks for confirming that, but the 1980's are getting a bit into distant history. My wonder was whether there are folks making current nasty, vulgar notes and signing as WF. I can't imagine that anyone would take such notes seriously. I wonder if the notice was a spoof on its own.

Bill....

Yeah Bill, you raise a good point. I'm no big fan of WF, but I am constantly amazed that he can dominate discussion like this. It should be interesting once he's on the trail again.

Hey, how are those blueberries?

orangebug
08-25-2004, 20:57
Hey, how are those blueberries?
They are the only important thing in this thread.

I've frozen one gallon, and consumed yet another. They are a great comfort during these difficult days I endure. Youngblood's photo graces my wallpaper. I look forward to hitting the trail and enjoying some freedom.

?Labor Day? Allen Gap to Sam's Gap? Anyone interested in real hiking?

Bill....

weary
08-25-2004, 21:39
Yeah, Weary. Where's your patience and love and tolerance of your fellow man? You must have been making pepsi can stoves in Sunday School instead of paying attention.

No, I came from a very fundamentalist, "Christian" family. My grandfather, a most delightful and nice person, was so fundamentalist that he didn't attend church, because all churches were wrong. He had read the Bible and was convinced that they were all in error. That he had read the Bible and had discerned the truth.

My folks were equally fervent in their beliefs, but somewhat more conventional. I didn't attend one sunday school, but three -- a Baptist, a Methodist and an evangelical Christian. I liked the latter best, though I was always puzzled that his shirt collars always seemed frayed.

Even as kids as we camped two months each summer at Dolly Copp in the White Mountains, my Mom always insisted that we go each
Sunday to the Methodist Church in Gorham.

As a result of all this I became a very fervent Christian. I remember once wanting to go to the front of the tent and confess my sins, and was puzzled that none of my siblings, or parents, for that matter, wanted to join me.

But as a matured, as I read the accounts and arguments of the philosophers, I began to have doubts. To this day I can quote Biblical scripture. But as I read and thought, I eventually found it impossible to believe.

If, eyahiker, you say I must eventually meet my "maker", I will just have to tell him, her or it, that I'm totally surprised. Using the brain you gave me, I will explain, I found it impossible to believe. But I will have a lot of questions that arose in my mind during the decade that a spent trying to figure out the logic of my dearly loved grandfather, who when I questioned his belief in the goodness of Christ and God, "then why did he allow the Nazis to kill 6 million jews?" replied, "Some of us think that was God's will, that that was one thing that Hitler got right`."

All this, of course, is ancient history. But I continue to be puzzled by thinkers like Eyahiker, who profess fervent concern for the environment, but who still insist on voting for Bush.

Weary

TJ aka Teej
08-25-2004, 23:31
The fact that the animus towards WF seems to have only intensified in recent years...
You think it's intensified? I thought it peaked during the 'no guidebook this year after all' fiasco. But if it has intensified, perhaps it's a reflection of his personal animus toward the at-l, the ATC, ALDHA, the AHS, the AMC, Baxter State Park, TrailJournals.com, WhiteBlaze.net, the Thru-hiker's Companion, the Gathering, the Rucks, several service providers, the webmasters of other AT websites, the current American President, an entire American political Party, a recently deceased American President, and a great many AT hikers. Perhaps it could be just the more people know about him the less likely they are to hold a positive opinion of him. Perhaps it could be the result of many people joining his website and email list and learning about him through his own words and actions. Perhaps it could be people have checked his self-authored praise and wondered about things like the hiking, gear testing, and backpacking seminars he claims to do. I hear he likes to blame it (the animus) on people he's kicked off his website, but while I was a member for years I never saw anyone at all get kicked off. Perhaps they're the same phantoms who are "writing vulgar register entries" about him.

MOWGLI
08-26-2004, 04:55
Perhaps it could be just the more people know about him the less likely they are to hold a positive opinion of him. Perhaps it could be the result of many people joining his website and email list and learning about him through his own words and actions.

I agree with you on those two points. Imagine that!

Toolshed
08-26-2004, 07:38
Comment Deleted.
I just read Sgt Rock's post that Wingfoot is a Vietnam Vet. I retract any harsh words I said and I apologize. Even if I don't agree with him and 90% of his views, I respect him for what he has been through

Toolshed
24 Avn Bn - Ft.Stewart/HAAF
11th ACR - Fulda Germany

orangebug
08-26-2004, 07:59
... I hear he likes to blame it (the animus) on people he's kicked off his website, but while I was a member for years I never saw anyone at all get kicked off. Perhaps they're the same phantoms who are "writing vulgar register entries" about him.
Not me. I was kicked off years back when he predicted the end of Western Civilization because the IAT was usurping the AT's letters. I laughed at the bizarre quality of his complaint. It gave me time to find better reading material.

However, I can't fathom the idea that someone would hike into a shelter, write a vulgar message, sign it WF and expect anyone to believe it. For that matter, I can't image that anyone would wish abandonment at sea on anyone. WF doesn't have a monopoly on kookiness.

Bill...

weary
08-26-2004, 08:45
Not me. I was kicked off years back when he predicted the end of Western Civilization because the IAT was usurping the AT's letters. I laughed at the bizarre quality of his complaint. It gave me time to find better reading material.
Bill...

I was kicked off twice. I forget the first reason but it had to do with the IAT. The second time I felt compelled to say something good about Dick Anderson, who founded the IAT, from some terribly unfair accusations. I had known Dick for 40 years and knew him as an effective champion of environmental protection in Maine.

This makes Wingfoot strange, but not evil. More evil in my opinion are folks like TJ who can't seem to resist exaggeration and falsehoods. Wingfoot has been a consistent champion of Baxter Park and the parks director, Buzz Caverly. He stringently avoids mentioning other websites including White Blaze.

Nor for that matter is he an enemy of the Appalachian Trail Conference. He has criticized the conference for its occasional errors, but he praises the conference for the many good things it does. In fact his site's main focus is support of ATC's definitions of 2,000 milers.

TJ, you've got to learn that disagreement doesn't mean one is your enemy. It simply means that you, like Wingfoot are human and thus sometimes wrong.

Weary

max patch
08-26-2004, 09:00
With all the crap thats written about WF on various web sites, I have no doubt that the same people take the opportunity whenever possible to attempt to discredit WF via shelter register entries.

Be Peace.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2004, 09:02
So? And your point is?

tlbj6142
08-26-2004, 09:31
attempt to discredit WFI think he's done an excellent job all by himself to distroy what (if any) credibility he has.

Tractor
08-26-2004, 21:03
...don't we have better things to discuss. What you, or I, or he did umpteen years ago, does it matter today? Looks like some of us are a bit pissed off. At what? I don't need, or want, to know any details concerning any rift between u and he. I like to hike. I like to read about hiking. I like to hear stories about hiking. I don't like to hear crap, either side, about "the other side". Seems there is some of that both places. Can't we all just get along for pete's sake?

ridgewalker777
08-26-2004, 21:24
If you've been following Wingedfoot's descent into ever more bizarre paranoia, from delusions of various types of grandeur to complete and utter intolerance of any discent from his beliefs one must be alarmed:jump . He's becoming downright Nixonian--the later Nixon "I am not a crook" will no doubt come next. I have no axe to grind in the political wars, but I find his iron-like grip on all debate to be down right fascist. He should be kept under close professional observation, or needs to get back on the trail ASAP!

TJ aka Teej
08-26-2004, 21:48
...you've got to learn that disagreement doesn't mean one is your enemy.How long it will take for Wingy and Weary to learn this simple lesson?
Don't hold your breath while waiting, gentle readers..

eyahiker
08-26-2004, 22:02
I like Weary, he's not so bad.

Tractor
08-26-2004, 22:09
or needs to get back on the trail ASAP!
I haven't followed the descent into ever more bizarre paranoia (should educate myself before throwing stones). Are there reasons we will never know? Can there be redemption after GAME?

eyahiker
08-26-2004, 22:10
The best thing to do is go to the website. See if you disagree with anything, then type what you disagree with. You'll be gone.

Mountain Dew
08-27-2004, 03:20
I treat Wingfoot as I do any TV/radio show that I dislike...I turn it off. He doesn't HAVE to do anything on his website that he doesn't want to. It's his and he owns it. It is his choice to be a complete ass to people that disagree with him if he chooses. Saying that...yeah he is a load of crap and most rational people know it. Does he or has he done good things for the A.T. .... Yeah I suppose that can't be totally denied, but then again if you look long and hard enough you can find something good about just about everybody. I just wonder if Wingfoot has ever written his political rant into shelter registers like I saw SOOOO many liberals do last year without warrant. I bet he did and I bet he didn't care that those registers were owned by people just like he owns his website. Just out of nowhere a hiker would feel the need to add their political .02. Sound familiar to those of us on White Blaze ? And to think .... wingfoot is hardcore liberal...not to be confused with democrat. He's a classic stereotype for the word liberal in a political sense. o.k. enough said...just my opinions and my .02 on the subject....

weary
08-27-2004, 08:06
wingfoot[/B] is hardcore liberal...not to be confused with democrat. He's a classic stereotype for the word liberal in a political sense. o.k. enough said...just my opinions and my .02 on the subject....

Actually, he's not. At least not the sloganeering, unthinking stereotype liberal. If anything he's a conservative Democrat. He believes strongly in military strength, for instance. One can feel passionate about the danger that Bush poses for the country without being a liberal. Most people who take the time to read, think, and listen recognize that danger.

Weary

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 08:36
Actually, he's not. At least not the sloganeering, unthinking stereotype liberal. If anything he's a conservative Democrat. He believes strongly in military strength, for instance. One can feel passionate about the danger that Bush poses for the country without being a liberal. Most people who take the time to read, think, and listen recognize that danger.

Weary

MD, Weary is correct on this. I think you have to understand because you hear a certain person say something on the Internet doesn't mean you can pigeonhole them on how they will feel or act on every issue. If someone didn't know me or read everything I had ever written about my politics, they might just assume that I am a liberal democrat as well. WF ain't no pinko hippie tree hugging liberal.

WF and I have chatted a lot - although not recently. He has no animosity against me since I help run WhiteBlaze. We chatted before deployment about the war, and after my deployment to the war he gave me some well wishes and said he and some others had been thinking about me (if I remember right he even mentioned the letter in ATN). He is a Vietnam Veteran with the XVIII Airborne Corps and really believes in the military.

Something to consider is that the Republicans and the Democrats at one point were on the opposite sides of a lot of things we take for granted today. During the 1968 elections the Republicans ran on the ticket that the Vietnam war was a bad idea that we should not have gotten into, that we were lied to to get into it (Gulf of Tolkien) and that Nixon had the best exit strategy. SOUNDS VERY FAMILIAR. The Democrats that year had some of the worst riots outside their convention because the "liberals" were outside the convention hall protesting the Democrats for even getting them into the war. The major opposition to a lot of "social experimentation" namely busing and integration back in the 60s were the Conservative Democrats, some of which switched over to the Republicans in the 1980s. Anyway, I guess what gets me rolling lately is that both sides have the "sloganeering, unthinking stereotype ________ (insert idealism here)" and I just hate hearing it from either side.

While politics probably have nothing to do with trail registers from either side, I think it is probably the type of people that assume that someone that thinks the opposite of them is evil and deserves what they get that is the type that would write a vulgar entry in a journal and sign someone else's name to it because they want to "get at" that person.

Toolshed
08-27-2004, 10:28
Well said Sgt Rock.
I have just gone back and resepctfully deleted my rant about WF. I did not realize he was a vet of the 'Nam era. I disagree with him, but I see him in a new light and I must give him respect.
Toolshed
24 Avn Bn - Ft.Stewart/HAAF
11th ACR - Fulda Germany

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 10:34
Hooah.

What did you do for the Blackhorse?

Toolshed
08-27-2004, 13:25
Flight Operations - HHQ. I was there 79-81. I went back to the Fulda Caserne in '98 while visiting my family (In the UK) and saw it was now a small business incubation zone. My old barracks - Actually my room is a dentist waitintg office now.

The Airfield is a trucking depot and all of the country roads I walked every morning and night to/from the airfield are now all suburbs.

I also Heard the Black Horse was dismantled, as well as the 24th infantry
Oh well.
Allons
Rick

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 14:15
The Black Horse was moved to Ft Irwin, CA and are now the permanant OPFOR there. They only have two Squadrons operating.

Dances with Mice
08-27-2004, 15:13
I was there 79-81. I went back to the Fulda Caserne in '98 while visiting my family (In the UK) and saw it was now a small business incubation zone. My old barracks - Actually my room is a dentist waitintg office now.

I was in Germany at exactly that time! The best part was once a month I had to drive from Frankfurt to Fulda to turn in the NBC personal dosimeters for calibration. Me and a pickup, halfway across Germany to drive, 5 minutes of business to conduct, and all day to do it. Good times.

SGT Rock
08-27-2004, 15:21
I didn't get to Germany until 1985, and I was with 3rd AD.

eyahiker
08-27-2004, 15:43
You know WF has good and bad qualities, like all of us do. He is not below redemption:D

Toolshed
08-28-2004, 19:06
I remember when Mike Wallace Flew in for 60 minutes - He interviewed our CO - Questioning why we had no M-16's or gas protection (we were somewhat ill-equipped). The standard response was that the Fulda Gap was always the alley of attack for the Prussians and we were expendable - essentially there to give the rest of the world an 8-minute warning.
I did get a pic of me shaking hands with him.

I just can't beleive how fast those years went by. Standing in my parents house the day after I got back from Germnay, I went through a real depression, having lost my identity as a soldier.

I still have dreams I have re-upped and am back in Germany.

I cannot fathom the scope of the dreams or nightmares faced by those who were in combat.

Dances with Mice
08-28-2004, 19:34
Standing in my parents house the day after I got back from Germnay, I went through a real depression, having lost my identity as a soldier.

When I got back I only felt that way standing in a grocery store outside Ft Gordon looking at the selection available in the beer aisle. I eased out of my soldier identity, spending my final two years in the CID and wearing civilian clothes. Turning in the badge, tho, that was hard.

SGT Rock
08-28-2004, 19:59
God I hear y'all. I don't know how I will deal with it after I retire.

weary
08-28-2004, 21:35
I just can't beleive how fast those years went by. Standing in my parents house the day after I got back from Germnay, I went through a real depression, having lost my identity as a soldier.

I still have dreams I have re-upped and am back in Germany.

I cannot fathom the scope of the dreams or nightmares faced by those who were in combat.

I can relate. I wake up night after night, arguing with my editors, some dead, some moved on, some hanging in there. "What do you mean, Lew. My stories didn't win the Pulitzer because of all my 'hype.'"

"Jesum Crow" (this is not an exact quote) "You and everyone else said those public acres were sh.t. No one would have heard of Maine's 400,000 acres had I not fought you for years."

No one was shooting at me. They were just threatening to starve my wife and kids if I didn't straighten up and stop messing with paper companies.

Weary

SGT Rock
08-28-2004, 21:59
Maybe that is a symptom of dedication to what we do?

orangebug
08-28-2004, 22:08
And to think that I was plagued with nightmares of wandering around campus, looking for where to take a final exam for a class I forgot I was taking, nakid as a jay bird.

Thanks for your service to our nation.

Bill...

Mountain Dew
08-29-2004, 04:05
Weary, "Actually, he's not. At least not the sloganeering, unthinking stereotype liberal. If anything he's a conservative Democrat. He believes strongly in military strength, for instance. --- You consider youself a liberal yet you are for a strong military I believe. That right there negates your logic that Wingfoot being for a strong military means that he isn't a liberal.

Sgt. Rock, I know that often people get blinded to reality with certain individuals for whatever reason. Does him being a Vet or wishing you well etc make you tend to overlook what he really is ? I'm not sure, but that is often what happens. You say that you think Wingfoot isn't a liberal. Perhaps he's not and I'm wrong, but all of the arrows I have seen point in that direction. I am friends with some conservative democrats and they'd never be as far left acting and controlling as Wingfoot. Sure it's his website and all but in my opinion he carry's it to the extreme. We can agree to disagree I suppose. You two like Wingfoot along with a handfull of people and the vast majority of us don't. I guess I am thankful to him because he founded trail days....oh wait..that is just one of his many lies he tells people.

steve hiker
08-29-2004, 05:38
Sure it's his website and all but in my opinion he carry's it to the extreme.
He carry's it to the extreme? And you're in college? Oh I forgot, you're at a Texas skul.

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 06:19
Hey Steve, we all make TIE POES here. I usually like your posts.........plenty of educated individuals who make the big$$ can't spell.

I have never personally met WF. I have been to his website.
When you see what someone is about, CONSISTENTLY, you have to either buy or fly.
I did both.;)

Often folks like that need constant fuel to boost their ego, since they are lacking in other areas. :-?

The more we post, the more we feed.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2004, 08:01
Gays in the military. :-? ...and it makes me wonder...

orangebug
08-29-2004, 08:57
Yeh, what about that liberal idea of blacks in the military? How could that possibly work?

Mountain Dew, L.Worl andothers: put your sheets back on your beds. WF, the military, gays, religion and other human characteristics are pretty complex, and not well treated in a binary fashion.

Bill...

weary
08-29-2004, 09:32
Weary, "Actually, he's not. At least not the sloganeering, unthinking stereotype liberal. If anything he's a conservative Democrat. He believes strongly in military strength, for instance. --- You consider youself a liberal yet you are for a strong military I believe. That right there negates your logic that Wingfoot being for a strong military means that he isn't a liberal.

Sgt. Rock, I know that often people get blinded to reality with certain individuals for whatever reason. Does him being a Vet or wishing you well etc make you tend to overlook what he really is ? I'm not sure, but that is often what happens. You say that you think Wingfoot isn't a liberal. Perhaps he's not and I'm wrong, but all of the arrows I have seen point in that direction. I am friends with some conservative democrats and they'd never be as far left acting and controlling as Wingfoot. Sure it's his website and all but in my opinion he carry's it to the extreme. We can agree to disagree I suppose. You two like Wingfoot along with a handfull of people and the vast majority of us don't.

These labels -- conservative and liberal -- are meaningless for people who think and are capable of understanding and reason. The words apply best to those who take on a mindset through faith, not reason.

Certainly, neither label applies to Wingfoot. Control, for instance is a conservative characteristic. Not Liberal. Which label wants to control the bedrooms, and what a woman chooses to do with her body? Which label disciplines their kids.

Wingfoot is almost a classic conservative. The only good trail is the one built by Myron Avery. The only good hike passes every blaze. Only cheaters apply for a 2,000 miler patch if they have missed blazes. What is more conservative than Wingfoot's bitter opposition to calling the side trail into Canada the IAT.

Us liberal types are free thinkers, experimentors. Nothing is sacred with us.

Weary

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 10:03
How sad that nothing is sacred, such an unsolid piece of 'ground' to be standing on through life. Not something to be proud of, and rather hopeless. A piece of dandelion fuzz floating on the winds of change......nice for thinkers - but not realistic for one who wants to truly LIVE and experience life.

Weary,
Faith is as reasonable as doubt.
Faith puts us past the physical and into the spiritual.
Faith is not faith until you step out of your comfortable existence and put it to the TEST.

Hmmmm.........sort of like the faith puts in oneself to have the ability to start the trail in the first place, so you must comprehend the concept, if not wholly then vaguely.

Which label wants to control the bedrooms, and what a woman chooses to do with her body? Which label disciplines their kids.
AND FROM THE OTHER THREAD YOU WRITE:
Neither I nor any of my siblings, half liberal, half conservative..... One "conservative" woman I know .............The evidence lies in her multiple kids, from a variety of mates, supported off and on by the welfare system you deplore,
So which is it? You use labels to define your family, and then mention a woman on welfare - should she be 'controlled'? Do you not want people to discipline their kids? Sorry, but you don't make sense.

These labels -- conservative and liberal -- are meaningless for people who think and are capable of understanding and reason. The words apply best to those who take on a mindset through faith, not reason.......................................Wingf oot is almost a classic conservative
How can you post that 'these labels are meaningless' and then define them according to your own understanding? (Please answer this question, you have failed to answer many I have posted for you, it does not go unnoticed.):-?

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 10:27
Bill, you must have something to hide.

:-? Would you like to share?

Nightwalker
08-29-2004, 10:32

You're not hiding much of anything, except a hateful personality behind a faith that you talk about, but don't live.

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 10:37
You don't even know me, but I'd be happy to talk to you:D I have nothing to hide, you are right about that.

I think you must be a really nice guy behind all the name calling.

It's often uncomfortable to know where someone stands, that is one of the issues with not having any beliefs.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 10:44

As a man and a psychiatrist, I know no one who hasn't something to hide or share. I respect your privacy. I suggest that you respect other's up to the point that it affects you.

As a person who professes to know faith, I think that you might learn from St. Thomas, the doubter. You might consider the example of actually going beyond your comfortable stereotypes.

If your ability to deal with others depends on specific litmus tests, you limit yourself within your arrogance. My experience suggests that those with the most rigidly held prejudices live in the smallest closets.

Bill...

weary
08-29-2004, 10:50
How sad that nothing is sacred, such an unsolid piece of 'ground' to be standing on through life. Not something to be proud of, and rather hopeless. A piece of dandelion fuzz floating on the winds of change......nice for thinkers - but not realistic for one who wants to truly LIVE and experience life.

Weary,
Faith is as reasonable as doubt.
Faith puts us past the physical and into the spiritual.
Faith is not faith until you step out of your comfortable existence and put it to the TEST.

Hmmmm.........sort of like the faith puts in oneself to have the ability to start the trail in the first place, so you must comprehend the concept, if not wholly then vaguely.

AND FROM THE OTHER THREAD YOU WRITE:
So which is it? You use labels to define your family, and then mention a woman on welfare - should she be 'controlled'? Do you not want people to discipline their kids? Sorry, but you don't make sense.

How can you post that 'these labels are meaningless' and then define them according to your own understanding? (Please answer this question, you have failed to answer many I have posted for you, it does not go unnoticed.):-?

Eyahiker:

Actually, I was defining them as the terms are popularly understood -- sort of how the dictionary defines "conservative" and "liberal."

My dictionary, for instance, thinks a liberal is someone who is "openminded, or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional, or established forms or ways."

Surely, we can all agree that much of what Wingfoot practices is just the opposite of that.

In contrast, a conservative is someone who "adheres to traditional methods or views."

Most of us are a mixture of the two, in day to day life. I spent yesterday mowing my lawn and making cucumber pickles, both very conservative enterprises. In other ways I certainly qualify as a "thinking" liberal as opposed, say, to a "sloganeering" liberal, or perhaps "faith-based" liberal.

In my observation conservatives share in similar dichotomies.

BTW, faith is not something one can choose. I have faith that some things are true, though I can't logically prove them. For instance I have faith that what you write is what you believe. But I have never found ways to transfer others faiths to me, however, comforting it might be to do so.

Weary

MOWGLI
08-29-2004, 10:53
I have nothing to hide, you are right about that.

If you have nothing to hide, and I take you at your word, why don't you edit your location and age so we can get to know a bit more about you? Where you are from, and how long you have spent on this earth tells me a great deal about an individual. I'm not talking about giving us your real name, address, and a photo - just some additional information.

How about it eyahiker?

I'd also be curious about your backpacking experiences. I really don't care much about your faith. To me, that is a personal matter. I would like to hear more about your hiking experiences, past, present & future.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 11:00
If you {eyahiker}have nothing to hide, and I take you at your word, why don't you edit your location and age so we can get to know a bit more about you? Where you are from, and how long you have spent on this earth tells me a great deal about an individual. I'm not talking about giving us your real name, address, and a photo - just some additional information.

Give the gal a break. At least she succeeded in getting the thread off of bashing WF. :banana

Bill...

MOWGLI
08-29-2004, 11:05
Give the guy a break. At least he succeeded in getting the thread off of bashing WF. :banana

Bill...

In the interest of civility and fairness, I retract my previous post.

How "liberal" of me!:D

weary
08-29-2004, 11:18
Give the guy a break. At least HE succeeded in getting the thread off of bashing WF. :banana Bill...

In my mind I've always thought of Eyahiker as female. Am I wrong?

Weary

orangebug
08-29-2004, 11:28
In my mind I've always thought of Eyahiker as female. Am I wrong?
Who knows, or cares? Heck, I've always thought God was of ambiguous gender.

Capricious, Judgemental, Vindictive, Creative - gal!
Never listens, does things on his own schedule, called upon for war & sports - guy!

But even that attempts to lower God to the level of human. Real faith embraces the mystery. :)

Bill...

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 11:40
As a man and a psychiatrist, I know no one who hasn't something to hide or share. I respect your privacy. I suggest that you respect other's up to the point that it affects you.

As a man who professes to know faith, I think that you might learn from St. Thomas, the doubter. You might consider the example of actually going beyond your comfortable stereotypes.
I have never 'professed' anything. Faith is something you have. Are you really this naive?

As for my ability to deal with others, in your profession you should know that it take quite a bit of research into the individual to make the statements you posted. But since you know it all, please post the litmus tests you think I use. Very interested to see your amazing ability, do you have a program on TV like Dr. Phil? If you don't maybe you should get one! ;)

As for closets, you are invited to live with me anytime, wanna hike sometime?

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 11:57
Weary,
I enjoyed your last post. In reference to faith, again it is an absolute, it is either defined in the english language or is not. The liberal or 'open minded' way of thinking is a wonderful thing - I embraced choices and options like most humans do - however our lives in every aspect are defined in some way.

Many of those who I know who consider themselves liberal do not want 'restrictions' imposed upon them. Is this not the basis for govenment and the very reason we vote?

I have noted some contradictions inherent in liberal philosophical thought. I don’t think 'liberals' even notice them. That may be due to some sort of survival reflex in the liberal mindset, or maybe they’re just doing drugs and not sharing - I really don't know for sure. In any case, I thought I’d share these contradictions with you folks, and see if any of you could explain them.
We will not let a teenage girl get her ears pierced without parental consent, because she is a minor and not mature enough to make such a decision by herself, but if this same teenage girl wants an abortion, her parents can just go to hell. Being a teenager, she is more than mature enough to decide to end a life and have major surgery. I’m sorry, but that just seems contradictory to me. If teenage girls are really that mature, we should emancipate all of them at age 13. But we won’t do that, because we know they aren’t mature enough really.

Liberals hold life sacred. They hold life so sacred that they believe we shouldn’t execute a serial killer who raped and tortured to death hundreds of young women. He might still be able to contribute something to society, and killing him for his crimes is just plain wrong. On the other hand, killing a completely innocent baby in the womb is moral and right. It’s so moral and right that we ought to pay for it with tax dollars, and have an abortion clinic on every street corner so the poor girl doesn’t have to travel far. I’ve never understood the logic behind these liberal positions, and I don’t think anyone can.

Celebrities in politics - it doesn't get more assinine than this. Hollywood liberals are a mass of contradictions. They will tell us, for instance, that we have to drive less to save our precious oil and to make the air we breathe cleaner. You might think because of that that Hollywood liberals all use mass transit. Nope, they drive big, gas guzzling cars. I guess the irony of themselves driving SUVs to a Save the Planet rally is lost on them, but the rest of us find it pretty funny. Well, maybe expecting sense out of a bunch of actors is asking too much, after all many of them own homes that use more energy than just about anyone who posts here on WB, perhaps collectively! (TIC)

Liberals in online chatrooms probably have the funniest contradictions. They’ll tell you that Bill Clinton having sex in the Oval Office is a private matter and not our concern, but the fact that Laura Bush was involved in a car accident where someone died, and this was years before she even met George, disqualifies Bush from holding office at all. That’s a funny one. It makes me laugh every time I hear it. Another good one I’ve seen in chatrooms is that Bush letting Enron go under is somehow proof that they had him in their back pocket, but the Clinton administration pushing India into a billion dollar deal with Enron isn’t proof they owned Clinton.

Liberals will tell you that minorities are perfectly capable of making it on their own, that they are intelligent and highly motivated. That’s why, of course, they can’t make it without government help. Does anyone else see the contradiction there? Liberals sure don’t. I know, because I’ve asked them.

I guess liberals are just people who never quite grew up for one reason or another. Maybe they even serve a useful purpose, though for the life of me I can’t see what that might be. In any case, they’re here to stay, and we can have some fun pointing out their contradictions to them and watching them spit and sputter about it.

As for Franklooper, you are welcome and invited to join me anytime on the trail, you have an open invitation to live with me so that you can speak about me in an educated manner and not out of your own anger. ( Please review every post I have ever made on WB and list the number of times I have used the word "hate", thanks.);)

Yes, as I've posted before, I am a female.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 12:19
I have never 'professed' anything. Faith is something you have. Are you really this naive?

As for my ability to deal with others, in your profession you should know that it take quite a bit of research into the individual to make the statements you posted. But since you know it all, please post the litmus tests you think I use. Very interested to see your amazing ability, do you have a program on TV like Dr. Phil? If you don't maybe you should get one! ;)

As for closets, you are invited to live with me anytime, wanna hike sometime?
Elmer Gantry is a good referrence for your regarding professional of faith and hypocracy. Scriptures in signature lines are occasionally expressions of vanity or worse. I look beyond them.

I am quite curous regarding which statements I made that require further research. I believe you began by stating that I "must have something to hide." You are willing to question WF with "Often folks like that need constant fuel to boost their ego, since they are lacking in other areas. " Your comments to Weary were beyond the pale, not that I particularly like the guy.

Perhaps you are not someone who could learn from St Thomas the doubter. I am sorry if that is the case. Many of us benefit from getting our hands dirty learning about faith and our fellow man.

Frankly, your statements about WF, Weary and others reflect more about youself than any demographics. I suspect that you have much in common with those that receive your ire.

And no, I have no TV show. I enjoy my service in the trenches. Dr. Phil has a talent, as in the parable.

BTW, as this posting demonstrates, I live with you even before the invitation. I hike and enjoy the source of strength. I plan to do this next weekend. However, I'm not real keen to descend into your closet. :welcome

Bill...

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 12:37
Please read and study scripture before you quote it, it makes you look very foolish. Context is paramount. This in itself is the essence of the uneducated comments made to those of faith, or any religion for that matter.

You are attempting to give suggestions although a therapist-client relationship has not been embarked upon. Is this consistent with your ethical standards personally? You obviously have some deep egotistical void to fill by sharing your profession as if on your sleeve for all to see. To not do so is not 'hiding', but using your supposed "professionalism" to thus support your own arguments and opinons, as above others, is foolhardy at best.

The fact that you are speaking out against faith, mine in particular, shows the arrogance of the current secular Psychiatric community. How would your colleagues feel about this? What happened to the liberal notion of free-thinking or 'to each his own' which is so prevalent. I suppose it only applies when denouncing someone's beliefs. Typical.

Scriptures in signature lines are occasionally expressions of vanity or worse. I'll have to disagree, they exist due to demand in programs such as this. I suggest you start a thread to let everyone who has a 'signature' that they are vane or worse, better yet preach such foolishness to the entire internet message board community.;)

Perhaps it is just the content of the signature which bothers you........which strengthens my beliefs since you are behaving in such a manner as exhibited by someone who has faith only in mankind. Perhaps you fit this description?:-?

It think you should put your practice information on your signature, it may help you succeed.

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 12:43
Back to the thread if you will ( feel free to start another if you'd like to debate further. I'm there.) Wingfoot could use your number I believe, have you been to his site yet? Go there, and then see if you disagree and post your thoughts, after all you have the right to free speech.............just not there.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 13:23
It think you should put your practice information on your signature, it may help you succeed.
Hmmm... You've diagnosed WF as in need of psychiatric care without ever meeting him. That would be unethical if I committed such an insult. I can just feel the love!

You mention the "arrogance of the current secular Psychiatric community." Do you have feelings about that, or is that your version of an uneducated comment? When was the last time you served the homeless and the rejected lepers of our culture?

You recommend that signature lines ensure "success." How sad. I've not noticed that any program demands that I use one. I believe that is a personal choice. Many perceive tattoos, bumper stickers, lapel pins, t-shirts and signature lines as a window into the wearer's soul. They often protest a bit too much. If a signature line is a sign of success, I embrace my failure with pride. I hope your signature line makes you successful, whatever that means.

I'll mention your concerns for my antipathy for faith to my pastor.

Bill....

BTW, freedom of speech is a privilege to speak against the government. It is not a right to say anything in opposition on anyone's media. WF has the right to limit the use of his list. The way he does it reflects on him. It is your own choice to have a narcissitic injury from his actions.

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 13:34
Hmmm... You've diagnosed WF as in need of psychiatric care without ever meeting himActually, you have put words in my mouth. Please don't.

The invitation stands, you can live/hike with me anytime. Please do so before suggesting and assuming my behaviors and personal charitable outreachings. This would be wiser on your part, you are causing yourself to look like a fool, and a dark mark on the already overrated profession of "psychiatry".

Your 'reference' to your pastor does not get a rise out of me, sorry. Feel free to drop me a PM with your license on it, and the state you practice in if you'd like me to take you seriously.

Love is relative, ask any liberal.;)

Is there anything else I can do for you today, Bill?

BTW, I have never posted on WF's board, no injury exists, nice try.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 13:45
... Feel free to drop me a PM with your license on it, and the state you practice in if you'd like me to take you seriously.
BTW, I have never posted on WF's board, no injury exists, nice try.
More uneducated comments. Why express an opinion if you haven't even cyber-met him?

If you are interested in my licensure and expertise, knock yourself out. It is very easy to click on my name (see the OrangeBug to the upper left?) and get much of my demographics. Google me if you haven't anything better to do. My sense of success is not dependent on your approval of my profession or my faith.

I have so little to hide.

...Wingfoot could use your number I believe...
Yeh, I really put words in your mouth.

Bill....

orangebug
08-29-2004, 13:47
Pardon me, but did anyone else smell one?

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 14:12
Bill, you bore me.

orangebug
08-29-2004, 14:17
Your probably think this post is about you!

Don't you? Don't you?
:banana

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 14:44
I have faith that some things are true, though I can't logically prove them. Weary, I know this about you from what you posted earlier this week. I don't dislike you at all, and think you have lots of good points to make. I know that I alone can not change your mind, but since you are a thinker, only add fuel to your thoughts. You do the same for me!:clap

Wow.........as I'm typing this, someone knocks on my front door. There stands a guy going door to door in my community and asking for support and votes to be elected to the House. I shook his hand, told him we shared the same political 'party' and that I looked forward to voting for him.......he was an older gentleman. So many of these politicians are, like grandfathers.....from a more conservative time (all around - no political parties noted) and who may have seen many changes, successes and failures in his years.

Just thinking out loud here...........I understand that with age does not necessarily come wisdom.......but there is something about older folks.... I use the term "older' here as more relative ( respectfully), perhaps I should use the word "seasoned"........hmmmm. Back on track - I find so many of the suggestions and ideas on WB helpful, but it just seems more 'tried and true' coming from some of the older hikers out there, just pure experience I suppose.

Our society doesn't hold a great deal of respect for older people in general, I for one have heard some of the most interesting stories from them. A wealth of knowledge that is passing silently as we rush by. Just a thought.

Percival
08-29-2004, 15:34
Eyahiker sure is hot and bothered. No doubt she needs a man. In the right Spot. :banana

Frosty
08-29-2004, 17:30
Well, I've often wondered what "holier than thou" meant. I think I understand now.

eyahiker
08-29-2004, 17:36
When you find someone on here that's holy, please let me know!

I will have lots to learn from them:p

Only God is holy.

Toolshed
08-30-2004, 13:17
Eyahiker sure is hot and bothered. No doubt she needs a man. In the right Spot. :banana

Percival,
FWIW, I found you your comment mean-spirited and actually pretty vulgar. I don't think there was really a need to take the discussion to that level.

weary
08-30-2004, 21:19
. " Your comments to Weary were beyond the pale, not that I particularly like the guy.

....Frankly, your statements about WF, Weary and others reflect more about youself than any demographics. I suspect that you have much in common with those that receive your ire.
Bill...

I've thought for some time,that it goes back to those basic rule of physics -- likes repel. But most intelligent people devote a great part of their lives in a search for answers.

Eyahiker, may think she has found more "right" answers than most of us.

But being a liberal, I like most everyone, certainly Eyahiker.

Weary

eyahiker
08-30-2004, 22:30
Hey Weary,

I like you too!

I am not right often, but I have a peace that God has put in my heart about certain things. I know very little about politics, would like to think I know more. Just have to go with my heart. I really dislike the world the way it is, I often can get more passionate and wordy about things than necessary, and I can change my mind ( comes with the female brain).

Enjoyed our discussion. Figure if I say nothing sometimes on here, then I am not truly living what I believe. Which I will never perfect.:o

Thanks for listening, my soapbox is 'closed.':clap

SargeAT
08-30-2004, 23:22
The power of christ compels this post to end, the power of christ compels this post to end! Domini Magnus Infernum!!!! :clap

steve hiker
08-31-2004, 01:32
Eyahiker -- Until you accept that I am God and you are God, and Wingfoot and Teej are God, and stop looking outside yourself for some daddy-O father figure in the sky named God, you will never know yourself/God.

The cruelest trick the religious hucksters have ever pulled on mankind is get us to look outside ourselves for God.

Tim Rich
08-31-2004, 07:18
The cruelest trick the religious hucksters have ever pulled on mankind is get us to look outside ourselves for God.
The cruelest trick of humanism is the idea that all we ever need lies within ourselves.

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis

Take Care,

Tim

steve hiker
08-31-2004, 08:46
The cruelest trick of humanism is the idea that all we ever need lies within ourselves.
I am not saying that all we need lies within ourselves, in a human sense. I am saying that the idea of an external God is a tragic fallacy. It probably is the source of the "fall of man."

This is the last post I will make on this topic. God has better things to do than squabble about his own divinity.

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 09:06
Steve hiker. You are not God. God and humanity stand realms apart in nature and attributes. Let me know if you'd like to learn more.

Yeah Tim!:clap Well stated.

Tim the whole Athiesm thing is interesting - No one is born an atheist. People choose to become atheists as much as they choose to become Christians or to follow some 'other' religion. And no matter how strenuously some may try to deny it, atheism is a belief system. It requires faith that God does not exist.

It is impossible to distinguish evil from good unless one has an infinite reference point which is absolutely good. Otherwise one is like a lost hiker on the AT far from any white-blaze in pea-soup fog without a compass (i.e., there would be no way to distinguish north from south without the absolute reference point of the compass needle).

The infinite reference point for distinguishing good from evil can only be found in the person of God, for God alone can exhaust the definition of "absolutely good." If God does not exist, then there are no moral absolutes by which one has the right to judge something (or someone) as being evil or 'wrong'. More specifically, if God does not exist, you can not proclaim yourself as God.

I think it's pretty interesting on here - all the negative comments made about those who follow Christ - what are they basing their absolutes on if they do not exist in the first place?

I find that it is impossible to share things logically with those who choose to consider themselves their own god........even though logic is what they often claim to be the only thing they do believe in.........hmmmm.

I am not perfect, and need a Savior, anyone here can accept this free gift. It won't make you any better or worse than anyone else, but I know for myself.........I do lots of things wrong, I mess up constantly and say things and do things I shouldn't......I am so glad that I am forgiven!

OK, I went way off thread. whoops. I get passionate sometimes about this because Jesus has done so much for me! I just want to share it with you all!:D

hiker dude
08-31-2004, 10:01
Don't temp the lord thy god, god finds no pleasure in fools. Ask and you shall receive. Generations come and generations go. Yet no man can utter it, the eye is not satisfied with seeing. The ear not satisfied with hearing.

I have seen everything that is done under the sun and behold all is vanity and a striving after the wind.

What is crooked can not be made straight. For everything there is a season. Man had no advantage over the animals even, its all VANITY.:)

Most even bring Vanity to one foot in front of the other. What else is hiking? The rest is all vainity.

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 10:45
Merlin, thanks for the scripture, but would you please quote it's references, as well as the entire verse in it's context, thanks! I think those who would read it would understand better;)

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 11:15
Knock Knock

orangebug
08-31-2004, 13:02
Knock Knock
Who's There?

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 13:08
figures the 'shrink' would answer........

It doesn't get more brilliant than this folks! Careful Mowgli, he might invoice you for his time for "playing along"....;)

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 13:26
Who's There?

A Jehovahs Witness.

Chappy
08-31-2004, 13:52
A Jehovahs Witness.
MOWGLI: You gotta help me with this one...my brain is fried from too much training. :)

hiker dude
08-31-2004, 15:14
It was in the book of Genesis, under the Aposole Peter when he wrote verse 11 of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway":) Other words; look it up your self, but I'm suppose to for you. and bla bla bla it down. Why?

The rest of us can grow with this knowlege we are backpackers on the same trail that few follow, The Road is Wide for the Many. The key to not quiting is your Ego, that's my point. Not to write the bible in this thread for someones ego cause I'm a fool. You do your thing, I'll do mine.:sun

weary
08-31-2004, 15:23
[QUOTE=eyahiker]Steve hiker. You are not God. God and humanity stand realms apart in nature and attributes. Let me know if you'd like to learn more.
Tim the whole Athiesm thing is interesting - No one is born an atheist. People choose to become atheists as much as they choose to become Christians or to follow some 'other' religion. And no matter how strenuously some may try to deny it, atheism is a belief system. It requires faith that God does not exist. QUOTE]

There is certainly a human instinct to believe in a God. The problem for thinking people is "which God should one believe in." Every culture and every age has had multiple Gods.

For those willing to read and understand, there are several Gods in the so called "Christian" Bible -- even two versions of the creation.

If evolution happened, and I think the evidence is overwhelming unless a jokester God put all those bones about to fool humans, then at some point the animal that became human began to have a sense of history and a understanding of death.

I think it reasonable that each society as it gained consciousness came to believe that humans, unlike other animals, can survive death. The stories of how they supposed this to happen became religion.

Unfortunately, it was not an overall happy development. Men have been killing men in the name of religion ever since, lo, even unto these final days.

Weary

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 15:28
If evolution happened, and I think the evidence is overwhelming unless a jokester God put all those bones about to fool humans, then at some point the animal that became human began to have a sense of history and a understanding of death.

Weary

There was a fellow here in Tennessee last weekend speaking about intelligent design. Unfortunately, I missed his talk. I really wanted to catch it.

http://www.newschannel9.com/vnews/topstories/1093642816/

Dances with Mice
08-31-2004, 15:36
... The problem for thinking people is "which God should one believe in." Every culture and every age has had multiple Gods. ....
So, to paraphrase Weary, we're ALL Atheists!
Some happen to believe in just one less God than others.

Oh, and Mowgli? A Jehovah's Witness Who?

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 16:48
Merlin, Genesis has nothing to do with Peter. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't waste your time.......it becomes babble. Nice try though. If you are supporting scripture and believe in the teachings of Christ, I'll be happy to help you out here :D

Just a little confused about what you wrote!

Weary, the Bible clealy states there is only one God. No other "religion" in the world claims this.

No other 'messenger' leader or prophet of any other religion claimed to be the Son of God but Jesus Christ.

This is why Christians are often hated, people don't like the narrow path, that there can only be one choice. It goes against human nature - man wants to do his own thing and answer to no one, that is the wide path. Folks think Christians consider themselves 'exclusive' when actually the Bible teaches that ALL have sinned, Christians are no better than anyone else, we've chosen a free gift that anyone in the world can accept. Including you!

Jesus Christ either was or was not the Son of God.

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 16:50
Weary, whoops, forgot something. If you want to start an evolution thread, I'll be happy to meet you there. Please bring along all the "missing links" like the first few fish that jumped out of the proverbal pond of sludge and gasped and died as they took their first few 'breaths' I would like to see the photos of all the missing fossil records........

orangebug
08-31-2004, 17:14
A Jehovahs Witness.
A Jehovah's Witness who?

BTW, did you notice who has to use pejorative terms about fellow hikers? Don't you feel that love?

art to linda
08-31-2004, 18:31
I've been following this post for a while, I find it interesting to see how it evolves. Being raised in a predominatly Christian country leaves people here woefully ignorant in some ways. The Bible is not the only holy book in the world, there are many others. In some, Christ is considered a prophet not the son of God. These are not books that are only a few hundered years old but rather thousands. Part of our problems in dealing with other countries comes from our not understanding their religious beliefs and trying to impose our Christian mind set on them, not understanding that their beliefs are as strong as ours and in some cases stronger.

As for evolution.... who is to say that God didn't look at the world that he made and decide that he wanted to see where it would go on it's own? Then, after a while, finding that a particular critter was interesting decide to make it more intersting still. After improving the model and giving it a what is called a "soul" he is now watching to see what it does. I know I sure do not presume to read God's mind nor do I claim to have looked over his shoulder while he was doing his work. I do look for knowledge about the world though, and this knowledge points toward evolution. God wouldn't have given us the ability to reason, question and draw conclusions if He didn't intend us to use them.

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 19:07
Perhaps those who comment with the liberal bleeding heart attitude should turn it's eyes towards their own fellow American children before trying to save the poor Iraqi children caught in the midst of war........or would that be close to "policing" another country? you know, trying to babysit for them as well?

art to linda,

Please read the Bible before commenting on it as just a 'book'. As for our country trying to push Christianity on other countries, governmentally this is not the case.

In your last paragraph you speak about God like you know him - I hope this is true! However, if you believe in Him, you will believe that He said that Jesus Christ was His Son. He is either God, or He is he is not (for he would not be telling the truth). It is your free will to choose.

I'm so glad that we have a choice!

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 19:29
A Jehovah's Witness who?

Sorry, my mistake. It was a Fuller Brush salesman. :D

Chip
08-31-2004, 22:00
Perhaps those who comment with the liberal bleeding heart attitude should turn it's eyes towards their own fellow American children before trying to save the poor Iraqi children caught in the midst of war........or would that be close to "policing" another country? you know, trying to babysit for them as well?

art to linda,

Please read the Bible before commenting on it as just a 'book'. As for our country trying to push Christianity on other countries, governmentally this is not the case.

In your last paragraph you speak about God like you know him - I hope this is true! However, if you believe in Him, you will believe that He said that Jesus Christ was His Son. He is either God, or He is he is not (for he would not be telling the truth). It is your free will to choose.

I'm so glad that we have a choice!

I too have watched this thread for some time now. CAUTION !! The current
administration is the reason the USA is playing police in Iraq. With great cost of lives on both sides. This is most tragic !!! I respect all responses on this thread but it is time for a rest. Peace. :)

eyahiker
08-31-2004, 22:02
Wake up. We've been policing the world for years........WWII, Vietnam.

Chip
08-31-2004, 22:09
I am awake. Can you not read ?

Nightwalker
08-31-2004, 23:07
Weary, whoops, forgot something. If you want to start an evolution thread, I'll be happy to meet you there. Please bring along all the "missing links" like the first few fish that jumped out of the proverbal pond of sludge and gasped and died as they took their first few 'breaths' I would like to see the photos of all the missing fossil records........

I've always wondered why so many of the monkees stayed monkees? Addicted to four thumbs, maybe?

art to linda
08-31-2004, 23:44
I did not call the Bible a book, I called it a Holy Book. I have read it along with other religions Holy books.

I did not say we push Cristianity on other countries, but that we deal with them with our own Christian mind set instead of trying to understand them through THEIR beliefs.

Nor did I state what my religious mind set is. Those are my personal beliefs. I will answer any who ask, but I do not bludgeon people with words on my faith. Rather, I would have them see how I live it by the way I treat others and use/care for the world around me.

Someone, a long time ago, set a good example for this ;)

eyahiker
09-01-2004, 00:04
Yup.;) .

Rift Zone
09-01-2004, 01:53

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." C.S. Lewis

Take Care,

Tim

Larry King:
Do you believe in God?
Stephen Hawking:
Yes, if by God is meant the embodiment of the laws of the universe.
Larry King Live, December 25, 1999

A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty* - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man.
Albert Einstein, The World as I See It

The cruelest trick yet perpetrated to our species was to give it reason to devalue this existence.

It is very easy to turn a blind eye to the injustices against man and nature when you are in a place of exile.

Christians have brought their exile to my paradise and now we both live in hell...

Thanks for that.

No offense Tim or any other monotheist. I mean what I say but know that I'm not trying to take anything out on anyone. Just sharing precious wonders of my existence.

Blue Jay
09-01-2004, 07:42

Christ was one of those damn liberal bleeding hearts who would try to save children of any nation. Maybe you should read the Bible?

Toolshed
09-01-2004, 09:07
Well, another fine thread DECONSTRUCTED and DEGENERATED

Blue Jay
09-01-2004, 09:12
Well, another fine thread DECONSTRUCTED and DEGENERATED

Yes, we need more name dropping of TV personalities like Mike Walace.

hiker dude
09-01-2004, 10:08
Eyahiker; Is that a promise? Please help me out then. Keep up the great work your helping more than you know already.:sun

sloetoe
09-01-2004, 12:18
A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge.
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
... Just sharing precious wonders of my existence.

Such a religion does exist, characterised by people who walk their talk, who eschew rote creed, who speak truth to power (regardless of costly consequence), who revel in "the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science," and who are sometimes known as those who hold "reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths." It is called the Religious Society of Friends or, as one derisive English judge called them, "Quakers" circa 1652.
http://www.quaker.org/friends.html

eyahiker
09-01-2004, 13:26
Can't we all just move over the WB and POlitics thread?
I get sick of giving TP and WF publicity.