PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep stove still inside pot?

Phoenix7
08-16-2004, 23:18
Just got a nice lightweight cookset in the mail today and the small (3 cup) pot perfectly fits my Brasslite Turbo I. The stove fits just right inside the pot but I'm afraid of the stove getting knocked around inside it. What techniques do you use to keep your' stove stationary inside a pot? And how do you hold the pot lid on the pot? I'm thinking of using postal service large rubber bands to hold the pot together.

Any advice?
Thanks,

Phoenix

MedicineMan
08-16-2004, 23:50
get a pack towel, walmart has the yellow ones for around 2-3$, you wont need the whole thing for backpacking so cut it down to 3x3, 4x4, or 5x5 which is plenty big for hygeine, stuff in in your pot to stop the rattle

my cookset always gets sandwhiched in between other things so the lid coming off is no problem and even if it did its not a chicken wing

Streamweaver
08-16-2004, 23:55
Just got a nice lightweight cookset in the mail today and the small (3 cup) pot perfectly fits my Brasslite Turbo I. The stove fits just right inside the pot but I'm afraid of the stove getting knocked around inside it. What techniques do you use to keep your' stove stationary inside a pot? And how do you hold the pot lid on the pot? I'm thinking of using postal service large rubber bands to hold the pot together.

Any advice?
Thanks,

Phoenix

I usually keep my stove in a small ziplock baggie and then wrap one of my bandanas around it ,that keeps the non-stick surface from getting scratched.Plus I pack things around it ,spoon,p-38 canopener,baggie with sugar in it,tea bags ,lighter etc .With a 3cup pot you shouldnt need to much stuff in there to keep the stove stationary. If you do have extra room in the pot its a good place to keep stuff like ,toothbrush,toothpaste/powder etc ,saves space in your pack. Rubber bands will work but after awhile ,in warm weather they can kinda melt and get sticky making the pot a bit of a mess. Elastic is cheap in the sewing dept at Walmart ,or cut the elastic waist bands off some old shorts .just tie or sew the ends together once you cut a peice to size. The elastic has the advantage ,besides being strong its also flat and will stay put better. Streamweaver

Singletrack
08-17-2004, 00:03
I have a MSR Titan Kettle. I place my windscreen in first, then wrap a bandana around my Turbo !, and place it in the center. Does not move around. Use the bandana to handle the pot, when hot. I do not have a problem with the lid coming off.

Peaks
08-17-2004, 07:44
I'm probably different than most.

First, I don't use a coated pot for cooking. I fix the typical backpacking foods, such as Liptons and Mac & Cheese, and have not had any problems with food sticking or getting burned on, even when using a white gas stove.

Everything in your gear takes a beating. I suspect that teflon lined pots would take a beating, so I didn't start out with one.

Second, I pack as much as possible into my pot. Like others, it includes my small pack towel, if it's dry.

Third, I carry a 2 liter pot. That's larger than most. However, I can pack all my cooking gear (cup, stove, spoon, lighter, tongs, camp suds, etc.) inside. In order to cook, all I need to do is grab the one pot and fuel bottle. It's all there.

By the way, I wrap my windscreen around my fuel bottle.

Others do things differently, but that what works for me.

veteran
08-17-2004, 08:36
I use bubble wrap inside the pot and a Velcro strap for the lid.

Footslogger
08-17-2004, 11:22
I have a Trangia and I wrap it in an old bandana and stick it inside my drinking cup. The drinking cup sits inside the cookpot along with my windscreen and small lighter. It doesn't move or make any noise when I hike.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SalParadise
08-17-2004, 11:41
with the fuel bottle inside, too, isn't that enough to keep your stove from banging around? You should also be able to find a small mesh-type bag that would tighten around your pot to keep the lid and everything together. Also, make sure to dry out your pot completely every night; my stove got a little rusty becuase of that. Just use your stove to evaporate the water. I don't know if a pack towel would be able to do the job completely.

Streamweaver
08-17-2004, 13:45
with the fuel bottle inside, too, isn't that enough to keep your stove from banging around? You should also be able to find a small mesh-type bag that would tighten around your pot to keep the lid and everything together. Also, make sure to dry out your pot completely every night; my stove got a little rusty becuase of that. Just use your stove to evaporate the water. I don't know if a pack towel would be able to do the job completely.

What are you using for a fuel bottle,A whiskey minerature?? I have a 3 cup ss pot and with the stove in there ,theres no way even my little 4oz fuel bottle will fit!! Streamweaver

hiker5
08-17-2004, 14:54
Inside my grease pot is my windscreen (foil, until i get some aluminum flashing), then wrapped in a bandana my pot stand, pop can stove, lighter, and pot lifter. Works for me, though i realizing that the bandana is no longer serving a purpose (since i got the pot lifter) besides keeping things for clanging around. Having a bandana is great but i'm not exaclty going to use that one to wipe my pits and then put it back in the pot. I do prefer the pot lifte to using the bandana as a potholder.

My question is, does anyone else think its a pain in the butt to get the lid off of their grease pot when its on the stove boiling since you can't use a potlifter when the lid is on?

Streamweaver
08-17-2004, 15:06
Inside my grease pot is my windscreen (foil, until i get some aluminum flashing), then wrapped in a bandana my pot stand, pop can stove, lighter, and pot lifter. Works for me, though i realizing that the bandana is no longer serving a purpose (since i got the pot lifter) besides keeping things for clanging around. Having a bandana is great but i'm not exaclty going to use that one to wipe my pits and then put it back in the pot. I do prefer the pot lifte to using the bandana as a potholder.

My question is, does anyone else think its a pain in the butt to get the lid off of their grease pot when its on the stove boiling since you can't use a potlifter when the lid is on?

Yeah ,the grease pot lids are pretty tight !! When I use my grease pot,I try to just set it lightly on top ,but even then sometimes its slides down tight.Im thinking about taking my dremmel and grinding just a bit from the inside of the lid and maybe outside rim of the pot.That might be enough to loosen it up a bit. Or I might just get that Antigravity 3 cup pot ,its about the same price and non stick. With a better fitting lid ,and it doesnt have that rolled lip. Streamweaver

Rain Man
08-17-2004, 15:17
... I might just get that Antigravity 3 cup pot ,its about the same price and non stick. With a better fitting lid ,and it doesnt have that rolled lip.

I'll vouch for the Antigravity Gear 3 cup pot. I have his alcohol stove too. Well, my daughter took it away from me, so right now it's somewhere in New Hampshire. But I still like it! LOL

Rain Man

Big Guy
08-17-2004, 20:14
I use a small dish towel, a wash cloth also wroks I put the cloth over the pot opening put in the fuel canister and the stove on top, I then fold the cloth over the top and put on the laid. Also slide my spoon in the side and my matches and a couple of tea bags and oatmeal in a plastic bags on top. I use the pot as another storage container. Have never had the top come off and if it did no big deal. The towel also serves as a pot holder and then I wipe out the pot when done. Even use it to clean off my neck and face afertwards the rinse with hot water.

rustyb
08-17-2004, 21:01
As far as keeping things from rattling, I do what the others do.

To keep the pots together, I currently place them inside a mesh bag. No-see-um netting makes a really light bag. In the past, I used a piece of 1/2" webbing to keep the pot set together. It was long enough to wrap around my head with an inch or so extra. I sewed velcro to the ends to keep it on my head & a piece of elastic in the center from an old pair of underware. I fixed the elastic so it would hold one of those tiny flashlights....mini Mag if I remember correctly (the one that takes a single AAA battery).
r

Phoenix7
08-18-2004, 01:27
Much thanks for the info. I'll be a happy camper in the future:banana

Phoenix

Pencil Pusher
08-21-2004, 17:46
Why is the pot called a grease pot?

hiker5
08-21-2004, 22:45
The pot is designed to save cooking grease for reuse. It has a strainer insert that removes particles that have accumulated in your cooking grease and the rest falls through into the pot so you can use it again at a later date. It even has "GREASE" stamped into the side of it. To use as a camp cooking pot just pitch the strainer insert and your good to go. You get a light weight aluminum cook pot for $7.00 at Wal-Mart.

foodbag
08-24-2004, 01:57
Try putting your extra socks in the pot to take up the space.

Jaybird
08-24-2004, 06:39
Just got a nice lightweight cookset in the mail today and the small (3 cup) pot perfectly fits my Brasslite Turbo I. The stove fits just right inside the pot but I'm afraid of the stove getting knocked around inside it. What techniques do you use to keep your' stove stationary inside a pot? etc.,etc.,etc.......Phoenix

Yo Phoenix:

I own a MSR POCKET ROCKET & pack it away in my 1 litre pot.
It stays put because i also put my SPORK, pot handle, water-proof matches, & instant coffee wedged in there too. never rattles & packs tight....all in one container! woooooooooo-hooooooooo! :D

good luck with your hike!

robanna
08-24-2004, 09:40

I had the same problem. When it's boiling, I could lift the whole pot up by the lid it it sucks down so tight.
My solution: I've take the handle off my grease pot lid and use it upside down.