PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Hot Springs - revised plan

Cheers
11-05-2009, 13:30
Anyone out there have any solid experience of hiking this section in december? I anticipate that any precipitation in the higher elevations will most likely be snow, but i don't think i need necessarily pack for a winter hike...or should i? I'm an experienced hiker and work outside all winter long in Maine to give you an idea of my late fall/early winter hiking expertise.

I'm thinking that a 15* bag should be fine, good thermal undergarments, and some basic layering along with rain gear should be ok, possibly my down jacket for camp. Any thoughts?

Cheers :-?

P.S On a side note. I think it would be awesome if it was possible to hike in my winter workwear, and also awesome if some of the cold weather fabrics available to hikers were as rugged as say...a pair of Carhartts. I have ABUSED my Carharrt overalls, hoodies, Sorel vest and other thermal underwear while logging in the winters. Just wish it wasn't so damn cumbersome because i was always toasty warm, even when temps were in the negatives.

bigcranky
11-05-2009, 14:20
I dunno, I've been in the Nantahalas in December, and it can get pretty cold. The Smokies are higher elevation and would likely be colder. I would not consider the down jacket to be optional, and if it were me I would bring my winter bag.

Oh, now I see you are from Maine. So either you are totally used to the cold, or you are seriously underestimating winter in the Southeastern mountains.

So, in case it's the latter, winter in the NC mountains is variable -- it can be 55 one day, and -5 the next. Generally speaking we don't get as much snow as y'all do up north. (Our bigger storms tend to be in the spring.) For a December hike on that section, I would bring my winter bag, down jacket, rain shell and pants, gaiters, etc., but also be prepared to hike in shorts and a base layer top.

Hope that helps.

On your side note, my hiking partner's brother is bringing out a line of outdoor work wear made of synthetic fabrics.

http://www.alaskanhardgear.com/Home.aspx

Blissful
11-05-2009, 14:45
Best bet is to keep on eye on the weather and pack accordingly. It can vary so much out there. I've seen snow here in VA in early December.
Can't go wrong with a down jacket for camp.
Might consider a liner also for your bag.

Cheers
11-05-2009, 16:39
Check. The down jacket comes with.

Any more gear recommendations?
I do under estimate the southern mountains at all, i guess i just know what its like to be outside for extended periods in sub zero weather. Being away from people and possible help is another thing though...

I went through southern Maine and the Whites with a 32* bag in a november a few years back, that was dumb, and cold. Funnily enough the warmest part of the trip was on the summit of Washington.
Cheers

Bearpaw
11-05-2009, 21:47
I've hiked the Smokies a few times in December. I've enjoyed lunch on Thunderhead above Spence Field in 60 degree weather on one trip and I've needed instep crampons for the ice on the trail near Icewater Springs while coming off the Boulevard. You can get a wide range of conditions.

Be ready for cold and rainy and cold and icy. A light pair of Yaktrax Pros weigh only about 4 ounces but could make a big difference on snowy/icy trail that feet have packed down and refrozen into a glassy layer of ice. Protect your down jacket from rain judiciously. But its warmth may likely be welcome, particularly when you have to stay in a shelter in the Smokies.

bigcranky
11-06-2009, 08:40
I just re-read your original post, and need to point out that a lot of winter precip around here is in the form of freezing rain, even in the mountains. One December trip my partner and I were totally covered in ice by the end of the day (and totally soaked inside our rain gear -- didn't stop walking the entire day, just ate snacks as we walked.) Freezing rain is just about the worst possible hiking weather, in my experience.

Cheers
11-06-2009, 09:07
Bearpaw, Blissful, and Bigcranky. Thank you for your insights.

Bigcranky.
You talking about freezing rain gave me a sudden flashback to being in the Smokies in october 2001. It was right around freezing and raining, not freezing rain, just cold, cold rain. That was pretty miserable as i was also wet inside and out. Makes me glad for that little invention... the trash bag. Great at keeping the stuff you need to be dry, dry.

Bearpaw.
I remember the trail to Icewater spring from newfound was just as you described on my 2004 thru. A recent march 3ft dumping had compacted and made the trail slicker than an ice rink. I did notice that even though there had been a big storm only a day or so previously, the snow melted off quickly, even at higher elevations.

I have to say i'm a little nervous about going through there in december, if i wasn't nervous i'd be worried. Those nerves will hopefully dictate some good gear choices and encourage diligence, and respect for the conditions. I'll be keeping a close eye on the weather nearer the time. Thanks all.

Cheers

scope
11-06-2009, 09:41
if i wasn't nervous i'd be worried.
Cheers

:D You could be on an AFLAC commercial!

When in December? Like others have said, never really know what you're going to get, but first half of December can be pretty mild during the day, but not at night. Its a chilly cold down here that defies what you might normally know going down to certain temps. Sounds like you've experienced it before, just thought I'd remind you.

bigcranky
11-06-2009, 12:46
I have to say i'm a little nervous about going through there in december, if i wasn't nervous i'd be worried. Those nerves will hopefully dictate some good gear choices and encourage diligence, and respect for the conditions. I'll be keeping a close eye on the weather nearer the time. Thanks all.

Excellent. Enjoy the hike. Love that area, especially in winter.