PDA

View Full Version : Tent Question

jamie313
11-05-2009, 15:13
Which is recommended for a solo-hiker, a 1 or 2-person tent? Any suggestions for a good 4-season tent? Thanks!

skinewmexico
11-05-2009, 16:07
If the tent has a decent vestibule, a 1 person will work. For a 4 season tent, I'd look at a Tarptent Scarp 1.

Jester2000
11-05-2009, 16:26
I would imagine that most people on this site have more expertise with 3 season tents, and most would say that you should carry a 1 person tent and that if you want more room than that you should go with a tarp (or a tarp tent, like a double rainbow). Personally, I like having a 2 person tent for a long distance hike.

garlic08
11-05-2009, 16:44
I've been loving my Tarptent Contrail (solo tent) for it's roominess. No comparison to what I've seen of solo two-wall tents like the MSR Hubba, a very popular AT tent, which is about the size of a coffin in the main body. I can fit my pack and food bag, lay out some wet rain gear, and still have room to change clothes, write a journal or read. The "vestibule" isn't good for much more than a pair of shoes, though.

I agree with Jester. If I needed a new four season tent, I'd look seriously at the Scarp. I've been real happy with Henry Shires for my last three tents.

Long feet
11-05-2009, 18:44
Here is the perfect tent for you:
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=58251&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11750&variationId=712

It's only 51 pounds and $5,000 :banana

Seriously, here is my shelter of choice:
http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45
or even better but a little pricier:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=56&osC:Dsid=e13d94d80114e8383b13fe696dcc8f77

The Cuben poncho is under 4 oz. pair it with an ultralight bivvy and you are golden for under 11 oz.

mrhughes1982
11-05-2009, 20:04
I've been seriously thinking of cutting my ropes and dropping to the ground if you know what I'm saying :) I've got a Hennessey but I don't yet have a underquilt for it. It's been crossing my mind to get a tarp/tent and bivy. It'll cost about the same and be a lot lighter of a load. I know I won't sleep as comfy but I can get used to that after a while. Also I don't have to find the perfect spot to set up a hammock and I can sleep more or less out under the stars. Anybody want to back me up on this desicion and have any more good reasons for me doing so?

ChinMusic
11-05-2009, 20:46
Anybody want to back me up on this desicion and have any more good reasons for me doing so?
I have a Hennessy Hammock and don't use it much anymore. With the advent of lightweight air pads the comfort on the ground has improved.

Deadeye
11-05-2009, 20:48
For my money, a two-man tent is worth the minor extra weight to gain the luxury of living space. Henry Shires' products are top notch. I like the Rainbow (single or double, even the single is roomy enough) or the Squall. YMMV, but I have no interest in a shelter that I have to squeeze into.

ChinMusic
11-05-2009, 20:56
If I was planning a thru for next year I would prob go with the Lunar Duo (two man). It is a huge tent that would give you all the comfort/protection you would need/want. It is well-ventilated and at UNDER 3 pounds is light enough for consideration.

My second choice would be the Gossamer Gear: The One, if I wanted to go lighter (JUST over ONE pound).

The One is similar to my current Lunar Solo, which I like a lot.

Blissful
11-05-2009, 21:15
2 person Tarptent squall has worked good for me in spring and fall. But I just got the MSR hubba, so looking forward to trying it out.

sheepdog
11-05-2009, 21:40

JoshStover
11-05-2009, 23:29
You cant go wrong with the Hubba. I am planning on trying to dye mine with Ritz dye after a post I saw on here. It will make stealthing alot easier without a bright yellow tent...

Lyle
11-06-2009, 11:09
I like my The One, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a serious 4 season tent, unless you spend your fourth season in the south. I've had it in light snow, and it was fine, relatively high winds are ok, but a heavy snow load would probably cause a lot of sagging, and it is a pretty "breezy" tent - great for three season, not so much for winter unless you have a real good bag.

I've hiked with someone who had a Double Rainbow, and it's a real nice tent, but it has a HUGE footprint with both vestibules extended. Need a lot of real estate.

I'm real interested in a Scarp, but haven't seen much in the way or reviews for it yet - still waiting.

ChinMusic
11-06-2009, 11:17
I read the opening post as two separate questions. If he is only interested in a 4-season tent my first post should be ignored.

Lyle
11-06-2009, 11:23
You may be right ChinMusic.

If OP was asking about a typical Thru Hike, The One would be very much recommended. Can't beat the level of protection for the weight. Pretty roomy too for a one-man. Plenty of room for the pack and me inside, with large vestibule to boot.

downes911
11-06-2009, 11:33
has anybody tried the BA Copper Spur 1 UL, just got it but haven't had the chance to try it out yet

Jim Lynch
11-15-2009, 13:58
Someone on another list suggested the Stephenson Warmlite for exposed windy conditions, or the Lunar Solo for still cold, but less wind.

Jim Lynch
11-15-2009, 21:06
Is the Scarp 1 the winter tent of choice for backpacking? How do you handle getting the stakes into frozen ground?

FamilyGuy
11-15-2009, 21:33
Is the Scarp 1 the winter tent of choice for backpacking? How do you handle getting the stakes into frozen ground?

It has been favorably reviewed for sure. You may also want to consider the Hilleberg Akto.

If the ground is frozen and there is sufficient snow, you would use a deadman anchor.

everydayhiker
11-15-2009, 21:39
Here is the perfect tent for you:
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=58251&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11750&variationId=712

It's only 51 pounds and $5,000 :banana

Seriously, here is my shelter of choice:
http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45
or even better but a little pricier:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=56&osC:Dsid=e13d94d80114e8383b13fe696dcc8f77

The Cuben poncho is under 4 oz. pair it with an ultralight bivvy and you are golden for under 11 oz.

If I spent 5000 Bucks on a tent, it better hike itself up the mountain.

Jim Lynch
11-15-2009, 21:56
It has been favorably reviewed for sure. You may also want to consider the Hilleberg Akto.

If the ground is frozen and there is sufficient snow, you would use a deadman anchor.

Thanks. I'll check the Akto. I'm familiar with the use of deadman anchors. But the question was more of a "no snow" question (or a light snow cover of dry, blowing snow) and trying to pound stakes into frozen ground.

randyg45
11-16-2009, 15:42
Something I have just about decided needs to find a home with me is the Black Diamond HiLight... and it might kinda sorta maybe answer both your questions.

FamilyGuy
11-16-2009, 17:41
Thanks. I'll check the Akto. I'm familiar with the use of deadman anchors. But the question was more of a "no snow" question (or a light snow cover of dry, blowing snow) and trying to pound stakes into frozen ground.

Perhaps a free-standing shelter with guylines tied out to rocks / trees might be a better option. The Akto is not freestanding.