PDA

View Full Version : Danielsville, PA to Pine Grove PA

Bags4266
11-05-2009, 18:07
Just got back from a 70 mile section. Hardly saw any hikers, only at the Pinnicale . Great weather, all the spings are gushing. Stayed over in Port Clinton at the pavillion and read the journal there, saw Lone Wolf's entry dated maybe 5/17 ? Not sure its true what they say about the town. All the town people were very nice. I think its the Port Clinton Hotel itself that gives the bad rap. I stopped in had a burger fries and 4 pints left a nice tip and still couldn't get the bar maid to crack a smile. Certainly not legendary service. Old Lazee at the Ecksville Shelter was cool, so was the shower I took there! wow!
Oh, the section from Port Clinton SOBO to Huberts Gap... Looks like a Foreset Getto. The worst 18 mile stretch of the trip. Down trees, swamp no views pretty boring. The pinnicale and Dan's Pulpit were awesome.

emerald
11-05-2009, 18:37
Stayed over in Port Clinton at the pavilion and read the journal there...

All the town people were very nice. I think it's Port Clinton Hotel itself that gives the bad rap.

I think it's hikers. Most of the negative experiences people report happen within their own heads. Some stumble on the smallest of rocks and refuse to accept responsibility for not picking up their feet.

Oh, the section from Port Clinton SOBO to Schubert's Gap looks like a forest ghetto, the worst 18-mile stretch of the trip. Downed trees, swamp, no views -- pretty boring. The Pinnacle and Dan's Pulpit were awesome.

You're right! SGL 110 is a godawful place. I wouldn't go there, no way.;)

Some people need to learn to pay more attention to what's right in their face. Appreciating the outdoors is about more than perching on a succession of promontories, but, for what it's worth, I can think of more than a half dozen in the section mentioned, some of which involve a short jaunt off the A.T.

I'd much rather spend my time on SGL 110 than at The Pinnacle. I do admit a fondness for Dan's Pulpit which I visit occasionally when I can expect to have it to myself. A good photo of The Pinnacle from Dan's Pulpit is almost as good as actually being there, but it's not much of a workout without the climb.

Hoop Time
11-10-2009, 20:43
Stayed over in Port Clinton at the pavillion and read the journal there, saw Lone Wolf's entry dated maybe 5/17 ?

Not sure it is "our" WB Lone Wolf. I saw some entries this summer elsewhere in PA by a "Lone Wolf."