PDA

View Full Version : Safe Parking

HikerMan36
11-06-2009, 09:17
Does anyone have experience with parking a car overnight at New Found Gap? Is it a safe location?

Bearpaw
11-06-2009, 10:13
It's a reasonably safe bet. I've parked there several times. During the day the area is usually so packed with people that it would be difficult to get away with significant vandalism. In the evening, the area is patrolled and far enough away from Gatlinburg and Cherokee that it doesn't seem as likely a vehicle will be messed with there.

(I've also parked overnight at the Clingman's Dome Trailhead with no problems though it won't be accessible vy vehicle until Spring.)

HikerMan36
11-06-2009, 11:25
Thanks for the info. BearPaw.

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2009, 11:59
Another safe bet it to empty the car of anything important, leave some visible trash in there and drive though a muddy area before parking. I met a guy who refused to clean his car because "if it is dirty, folks wouldn't mess with it."-David Gamble (Proctor & Gamble)

Blissful
11-06-2009, 14:22
I've heard leaving stuff like dirty socks too - ?

DapperD
11-06-2009, 20:54
Another safe bet it to empty the car of anything important, leave some visible trash in there and drive though a muddy area before parking. I met a guy who refused to clean his car because "if it is dirty, folks wouldn't mess with it."-David Gamble (Proctor & Gamble)I don't know if you are saying here you met someone claiming to be an heir to the Proctor and Gamble family of products who told you this or you are just quoting something he said or what but if this is what you were told I doubt he was, as if there is a "David Gamble" he most likely is a billionaire and I would doubt he would care wether or not his car would be stolen or vandalized as his insurance would just replace it.

curtisvowen
11-07-2009, 10:34
About a month ago we had 6 cars broken into at Newfound Gap the second time for the year. The thieves would break a door window to enter. It's easy to do with a lookout posted below the Gap at night because you can see any headlights coming up out of Gatlinburg.
They also will it the Alum Cave/Mt. Leconte parking as well.
I wouldn't worry about it, just be advised. All the good cars to hit are at any Wal-mart parking lot!

atraildreamer
11-07-2009, 12:24
I've heard leaving stuff like dirty socks too - ?

Take a Pamper and spread some Nutella Hazelnut Spread on it. Leave it lying on the front seat. No one will bother your car. :eek::D:banana

take-a-knee
11-07-2009, 13:27
Take a Pamper and spread some Nutella Hazelnut Spread on it. Leave it lying on the front seat. No one will bother your car. :eek::D:banana

Olive oil on a opened condom also helps.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2009, 14:01
I don't know if you are saying here you met someone claiming to be an heir to the Proctor and Gamble family of products who told you this or you are just quoting something he said or what but if this is what you were told I doubt he was, as if there is a "David Gamble" he most likely is a billionaire and I would doubt he would care wether or not his car would be stolen or vandalized as his insurance would just replace it.

Gamble's son David in 1984 lived near King of Prussia, he wasn't all there, I don't think he cared much about anything, but his car was important to him. He had a lot of "issues." He didn't claim but we did talk quite a bit each morning when he showed up for coffee. although we never discussed it, he was on what appeared to be a fixed amount of cash each week, more than anybody would need.