PDA

View Full Version : Easy Dayhikes near Gatlinburg?

mister pooh
11-06-2009, 13:10
Going to G-Vegas from Dec 18-21 to do the marriage thing (think this time's the charm :) ). Just took the fiance on her first hike last week on a relatively flat 2 mile loop and she loved it, but I don't want to get too crazy too soon as she has a relatively bum knee. I'm looking for a hike in the park close to Gatlinburg, either a loop or out and back with not a whole lot of elevation gain or mileage, but still interesting. Does such a hike exist, especially with winter road closures etc.?

Thanks in advance for any info.

dmax
11-06-2009, 14:06
Right behind the visitor center to the park is a short trail to a very nice waterfall.

Ramble~On
11-06-2009, 14:10
Grotto Falls and Rainbow Falls - There are parking areas for both of these off Roaring Fork. Roaring Fork is a drive you don't want to miss...lots of pulloffs and historical exhibits, scenery, wildlife and the stream is beautiful.

Ashepabst
11-06-2009, 14:51
actually i think the Roaring Fork is gonna be closed in December for paving.

hike to Spruce Flats Falls from the Tremont center... short hike and usually not crowded.

pjbarr
11-06-2009, 15:20
try the laurel falls trail.

also the Chimney Tops Trail.

or the Alum Cave Trail to Inspiration Point Alum Cave Bluffs. All these hikes are 5 mi. or less, though they all gain elevation. the Laurel Falls Trail is paved to the falls and would be easier on a bum knee.

grotto falls isn't a bad idea, but rainbow falls would be a lot of elevation gain that otherwise could be put into a more exciting destination.

consider the paved trail to the tower on top of Clingmans Dome, which albeit a little steep, is only a half mile to the top.

you'll easily be able to locate all of these places on the park trail map you can pick up in the visitors center when you stop in.

have fun!

mister pooh
11-06-2009, 22:09
Thanks for all of the suggestions! We'll probably do some of those off of Roaring Fork Motor Trail next time. Speaking of which, in the winter do they close the road at town or at the Cherokee Orchard Loop?

liteweight
11-07-2009, 00:27
Gatlinburg trail is a very easy hike and close to Gatlinburg. Also can head out to elkmont hike little river trail and connect with cucumber gap, makes for a nice loop. Right past the Sugarland vistor center on the left there is sugarlands paved trail. Its nice to walk around and check out some of the old chimney's that are still standing.

HikerRanky
11-07-2009, 10:52
I would recommend the Little River Trail in the Elkmont area. Old houses along the way, the river itself, and it can be made into a loop if you want by taking Cucumber Gap and Jake's Creek trail... Some slight elevation gain, but not too bad.

Randy

Dogwood
11-07-2009, 12:41
Going to G-Vegas from Dec 18-21 to do the marriage thing (think this time's the charm :) ). Just took the fiance on her first hike last week on a relatively flat 2 mile loop and she loved it, but I don't want to get too crazy too soon as she has a relatively bum knee. I'm looking for a hike in the park close to Gatlinburg, either a loop or out and back with not a whole lot of elevation gain or mileage, but still interesting. Does such a hike exist, especially with winter road closures etc.?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Got a great one for you! Go down Main St. past the third T Shirt shop on the left, just past the wax museum. You'll know you are near the wax museum after passing the viewing tower that resembles a flat topped mini Eiffel Tower and just before the Shoneys Restaurant. Be careful in this area so that you don't get stepped on or shoved by all the ballon tourists with all their bags, boxes, and packages on the way to the AYCE buffet. Make sure you don't go past the fourth tourist information kiosk on the right or the tenth trinket and gift shop on the left. On the left just before the Aquarium you'll find a small patch of grass and landscaping along the concrete walled stream flowing through town. What a view! You'll know you missed it if you find yourself at the Super WalMart in Pigeon Forge!

Considering Gatlinburg is one of, if not the, main entrances to Great Smokey Mountains National Park it is a SAD fact that more people annually visit Gatlinburg than Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

Hikes in Rain
11-07-2009, 13:29
Considering Gatlinburg is one of, if not the, main entrances to Great Smokey Mountains National Park it is a SAD fact that more people annually visit Gatlinburg than Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

Oh, I don't know. If they're all gathered there, at least they're not out clogging up the trails for the rest of us. :D

Been to that spot, Dogwood. Beautiful, one of the few in G'burg that still is. That's why I prefer the other side of the ridge. Oops, gave away the secret!

mister pooh
11-07-2009, 18:22
I'm fascinated by tourist traps (Myrtle Beach, G-Vegas, Cherokee, Wisconsin Dells, Helen, Solvang etc.). I just like the concept of some good old boy saying to himself "Now that they built the new road to that park, I bet people will be hankering for $5 cotton candy!"

One of my favorite memories of Gatlinburg is walking down the main drag around stoplight #3 or so, and hearing this teenage girl with the most back of the holler accent I've ever encountered exclaim "OH MY GOD, they got a BASKIN-ROBBINS!" That's good times right there :)

Then again, this trip will be spent hiking, getting hitched in the most cheesy manner possible and soaking in the hot tub at the rental cabin. Not a lot of time for t-shirt and taffy shopping on the agenda.

Bulldawg
11-07-2009, 19:00
I'm fascinated by tourist traps (Myrtle Beach, G-Vegas, Cherokee, Wisconsin Dells, Helen, Solvang etc.). I just like the concept of some good old boy saying to himself "Now that they built the new road to that park, I bet people will be hankering for $5 cotton candy!"

One of my favorite memories of Gatlinburg is walking down the main drag around stoplight #3 or so, and hearing this teenage girl with the most back of the holler accent I've ever encountered exclaim "OH MY GOD, they got a BASKIN-ROBBINS!" That's good times right there :)

Then again, this trip will be spent hiking, getting hitched in the most cheesy manner possible and soaking in the hot tub at the rental cabin. Not a lot of time for t-shirt and taffy shopping on the agenda.

If ya don't mind me asking, how on earth did you pick a cabin. The wife and I will be celebrating #10 in January and she wants to go to the Smokies. We got married, in a fairly nice place, 10 years ago in Gatlinburg. I have looked and looked and there are so daggum many cabins I can't make a choice.

Blissful
11-07-2009, 21:03
We got a super nice house to rent for our 20th anniversary coming up next weekend. Can't wait. It's not a cabin (though the listing is under cabins) but a HUGE house for $90 a night -with everything and on top of a ridge overlooking the SMokies. Roughing it in style... :)

Bulldawg
11-07-2009, 21:13
We got a super nice house to rent for our 20th anniversary coming up next weekend. Can't wait. It's not a cabin (though the listing is under cabins) but a HUGE house for $90 a night -with everything and on top of a ridge overlooking the SMokies. Roughing it in style... :)

Link??..........

mister pooh
11-07-2009, 22:29
We went through Vacation Rentals by Owner http://www.vrbo.com/ . We've found a lot of good places so far!

Blissful
11-08-2009, 21:18
Link??..........

http://www.greatcabinsinthesmokies.com/

We got a good deal as its off season and we got buy three nights, get one free and mid week.

Hikes in Rain
11-09-2009, 07:04
Watershed. (http://www.watershedcabins.com/)My absolute favorite, on the Bryson City side of the Smokies.