PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry on the trail

Bulldawg
11-06-2009, 13:45
OK, I carry my blackberry on the trail. I leave it off and just check in with the wife about twice a day. I have a question some of you might know the answer to. Is there a way to stop the dern thing from picking up emails when I turn it on? I only want to turn it on, call in, then turn it off. All the emails burns up the battery fast.

makoboy
11-06-2009, 13:48
Go to:
Options
Mobile Network
Data Services - Off

John B
11-06-2009, 14:09
Seriously? It's gotta be a generation thing. :)

Bulldawg
11-06-2009, 14:10
Go to:
Options
Mobile Network
Data Services - Off

Too freaking easy!! Thanks!!

Don H
11-07-2009, 17:56
Seriously? It's gotta be a generation thing. :)

It sure is a generation thing. Youth today communicate by texting, my teenage daughter does 5,000 texts a month. Good thing we have the unlimited plan!

I just finished a section hike going NB and passed several SB thruhikers, all college aged. The second one I met knew my name before I even got a chance say hi, seems the first thruhiker texted him and told him he'd probably be passing me soon. On several occasions over the week I met more hikers who were in communications with each other over a 3 state area! I had never seen this before but it seemed perfectly logical.

Bulldawg
11-07-2009, 18:02
It sure is a generation thing. Youth today communicate by texting, my teenage daughter does 5,000 texts a month. Good thing we have the unlimited plan!

I just finished a section hike going NB and passed several SB thruhikers, all college aged. The second one I met knew my name before I even got a chance say hi, seems the first thruhiker texted him and told him he'd probably be passing me soon. On several occasions over the week I met more hikers who were in communications with each other over a 3 state area! I had never seen this before but it seemed perfectly logical.

I only carry mine to communicate back home a couple of times a day. The wife feels much better if she knows sort of where I am at and that I am OK.

Don H
11-08-2009, 09:04
I call home every evening for the same reason, keeps everyone home from worrying.

I'd much rather have someone texting at a shelter that talking. Also there are times when a text will get out on a weak signal that would make talking impossible.

kayak karl
11-08-2009, 09:44
i thought the thread was about brandy:D

bigmac_in
11-08-2009, 09:51
I only carry mine to communicate back home a couple of times a day. The wife feels much better if she knows sort of where I am at and that I am OK.

If I'm section hiking for a few days, I tell my wife I'll call her when I get off the trail. If I get signal, I might call one night, but usually not.

double d
11-08-2009, 10:20
As long as you keep that blackberry (or as I say: a "crackberry") away from others, then most folks are fine. When someone brings those dang things into shelters or texts around others, then thats a problem.

warraghiyagey
11-08-2009, 10:41
I always find blueberries above tree line in Maine/NH. . . blackberries and raspberries in Vermont. . . :sun

Bulldawg
11-08-2009, 10:56
As long as you keep that blackberry (or as I say: a "crackberry") away from others, then most folks are fine. When someone brings those dang things into shelters or texts around others, then thats a problem.

Are you telling me what I can or cant do on the public trail? Why do you have to assume I am going to be in your face with my one or two phone calls per day?:rolleyes::cool::confused:

MedicineMan
11-08-2009, 11:12
and remember that text sometimes gets the message out when not enough signal for voice

Toolshed
11-08-2009, 12:02
Are you kidding. I would much rather share a shelter with a hiker that is minding their own business and quietly texting away, or typing in their notes for the day or reading an ebook (how would you know what exactly they were doing unless you're not MYOB) than some jackass who yammering on about their latest 20 mile day or what kind of gear they have or what trail is the best.

double d
11-08-2009, 15:23
Are you telling me what I can or cant do on the public trail? Why do you have to assume I am going to be in your face with my one or two phone calls per day?:rolleyes::cool::confused:
Sure, text away, its a free country and its a national scenic trail, so, why not? :rolleyes: But I do assume you or anyone else will use their cell phone around me and not realize it. :confused: As an American your entitled. :cool: And, as for folks texting at shelters, I spent most of July in Vermont on the AT, didn't see one person texting at a shelter, but then again, I only stayed one night at a shelter and everyone was just hanging out enjoying their hike.

double d
11-08-2009, 15:36
Are you kidding. I would much rather share a shelter with a hiker that is minding their own business and quietly texting away, or typing in their notes for the day or reading an ebook (how would you know what exactly they were doing unless you're not MYOB) than some jackass who yammering on about their latest 20 mile day or what kind of gear they have or what trail is the best.
Ahhh yes, how soon I forget...after a long day of hiking the AT, all I really want to do is stay at a shelter and enjoy watching someone move their thumbs and fingers all night texting away obsessed with their crackberry (and sometimes laughting at the text, hey, good times hearing someone do that). I agree with you but take a different opinion, as a jackass is a jackass, regardless if they are texting or talking about their sore feet all dang night.

Jim Adams
11-08-2009, 16:19
Leave it home and call from town.
I don't understand the thought process of hikers spending large amounts of money to save 4oz. on their sleeping bag, 12oz. on their clothing, 12oz. on their tent, 10oz. on their mat and 20oz. on their pack and then carry cell phones, GPS, Blackberry's, etc. and complain about others pack weight. If it makes you more comfortable then by all means take it and hyoh but don't push it on others. I do like camping near shelters because of the social aspect but I have to aadmit, texting annoys me...don't know why, it just does. Sorry for the rant.

geek

Don H
11-08-2009, 16:46
Seems like some people have very little tolerance for what others do. It might be polite to talk or text away from others but if you don't like it you can walk away. I've tolerated much worse on the trail without complaining, if I don't like what's going on I move on. It's no big deal to walk another mile down the trail and pitch my tent somewhere else.

MikenSalem
11-08-2009, 18:24
I have this little charger with a usb jack that I used on my Motorola phones. I figured it should be good for my BBerry. From 2 AA batts I get about 35% overnight so I leave it hooked up all day too. LSS; Bberry is dead, battery is ruined and I'm happy I have friends along who let me text to my wife all is well. In the end you can pick up a spare battery on eBay for $10 and take it with you... the charger is made by eveready and if you got a moto it's fine but if you have a BB with work files and data on it.... better beware:-?

smith29
11-08-2009, 18:26
Ahhh yes, how soon I forget...after a long day of hiking the AT, all I really want to do is stay at a shelter and enjoy watching someone move their thumbs and fingers all night texting away obsessed with their crackberry (and sometimes laughting at the text, hey, good times hearing someone do that). I agree with you but take a different opinion, as a jackass is a jackass, regardless if they are texting or talking about their sore feet all dang night.

Why does it bother you so much? Just curious to how something silent and harmless could make someone a jackass.

double d
11-08-2009, 23:57
Why does it bother you so much? Just curious to how something silent and harmless could make someone a jackass.
Well, interesting question. It seems to me that most electronic communication devices on the trail (yes, an old and beaten debate for sure) would be better kept at home. The outdoors is a place for the natural world and for us to enjoy it and blackberries and cell phones take away a lot of that natural world experience, especially when I see someone talking in the middle of a natural forest or park (I do like to listen to my small am/fm radio late at night while I read, headphones on of course). It just seems to me to be rude to just tune out the world and talk away while in the middle of such great wilderness. Its just my opinion, and maybe I've expressed it too much.

Tin Man
11-09-2009, 00:04
i use my crackberry to tell my other crackberry friends how cool it is to be crackberrying on the at. and give new hammock status reports. :)

double d
11-09-2009, 02:28
i use my crackberry to tell my other crackberry friends how cool it is to be crackberrying on the at. and give new hammock status reports. :)
Haaa yes Tin Man, crack is a highly addictive, especially shared with friends:D

MikenSalem
11-09-2009, 14:55
To those who have simplified their lives so that they do not need to be in touch with the world congratulations! Me; I have elder care needs that must be attended to and a grand baby and a great wife who I just happen to enjoy checking in with. Of course being self employed I have to attend to business and such. So I guess these insidious devices make it possible for me to enjoy being away within the limitations of my life. As for those I meet on the trail I do try and not disturb them as much as possible it's sort of like being in a library be considerate of others.

Bidwell
11-09-2009, 16:52
Haha, this thread should have been closed after the 3rd post. Question was answered! But of course the debate goes on.

I plan on taking 4 months for a thru-hike. To have limited connection for that long from family and friends, it's kind of selfish in my opinion to not update your loved ones on your progress. And I am not going to carry a bag of quarters for the occasional payphone, that's so 1990s. If you ask me, leaving a cell phone at home while hiking for 4 months is like saying to your friends and family "I don't care enough to keep in touch with you".

If I go on a shorter trip, like for a weekend, I'll probably leave my cell phone in the car. For a week, I may bring it and leave it off for safety reasons, but leave it off.

You could say "yeah, but what about people without cell phones 15 years ago?"... my response: times have changed.

Bottom line: hike your on hike and be courteous, whether it be with a blackberry, iphone, cell phone, stereo, big screen tv, or no electronics at all. :)

Mags
11-09-2009, 17:01
I think huckleberry shakes near the northern part of the CDT and the PCT are awesome.

I've also made blackberry pie on hut trips.... mmm mmm mmm mmmm

Bulldawg
11-09-2009, 17:03
I think huckleberry shakes near the northern part of the CDT are awesome.

I've also made blackberry pie on hut trips.... mmm mmm mmm mmmm

The blackberry sundaes and milkshakes in SNP are damn good on a hot sweaty day!!

DrRichardCranium
11-09-2009, 17:37
It seems to me that a Blackberry is good for blogging from the trail. I'm considering doing it in order to keep a trailjournal.

I would think that it is, if anything, MORE courteous than coming in to town & hogging one of the few available computers to update your journal. With a smartphone, you can update directly.

I cannot understand what is so offensive about someone quietly clicking away on a little black rectangle. It doesn't intrude into anyone else's space (as cigarette or pot smoke might, for example), so who cares? I would only be doing it for a few minutes a day anyway. Saves the trouble of writing entries down AND THEN having to transfer them via computer.

Ghosthiker
11-09-2009, 19:47
Bulldawg, if you turn off data services, I think that you loose the ability to text. With mine, I just change temporarily change the password on my e-mail account. It tries and fails.

Del Q
11-09-2009, 21:40
Being honest, I take mine. Like when I cannot get a signal. Do not want to come home to 1000 e mails, spend maybe 10 minutes per day, most get deleted. Texting is a safety feature when cell calls will not go through + a great way to "talk" to my kids. Only do at night, Ok way to spend a bit of time.

double d
11-09-2009, 21:41
It seems to me that a Blackberry is good for blogging from the trail. I'm considering doing it in order to keep a trailjournal.

I would think that it is, if anything, MORE courteous than coming in to town & hogging one of the few available computers to update your journal. With a smartphone, you can update directly.

I cannot understand what is so offensive about someone quietly clicking away on a little black rectangle. It doesn't intrude into anyone else's space (as cigarette or pot smoke might, for example), so who cares? I would only be doing it for a few minutes a day anyway. Saves the trouble of writing entries down AND THEN having to transfer them via computer.
Yea, good points, I just hate the damn things, thats all. Text away, its a free country, and I'm a guy who likes to say hello at shelters and when I see someone texting away, I wonder why they want to do that, but thats my issue, not theirs, as we all find enjoyment on the trails in different ways.

Not Sunshine
11-09-2009, 21:47

meh....this is why people quote the infamous and wise words:

"hike your own hike". if taking a full-sized pillow makes you happy - then do it. if hiking barefoot is your thing - fine.

i can't help but find it ironic that i just finished a pot of "tension tamer" tea by celestial seasons...i highly recommend, cuz i am relaxation central right now. good night world. *wink*

Bulldawg
11-09-2009, 21:51
Bulldawg, if you turn off data services, I think that you loose the ability to text. With mine, I just change temporarily change the password on my e-mail account. It tries and fails.

This is a company phone and I turned texting off on everyone's because all these guys were putting us in the poor house with all the damn texting. I know that my Verizon works on a LARGE portion on the trail for voice anyway. And worst case scenario I send my wife a blackberry message, she is the only one I want to send a message to anyway. I'll turn off data services and then if I can't call out, I'll turn data back on to blackberry message.

Patrickjd9
11-09-2009, 22:20
If my friends keep insisting on section hiking while the Washington Capitals are in the playoffs, I've got to get the scores somehow.

Hence the trailname, Slapshot...

Dr O
11-09-2009, 22:47
I call home every evening for the same reason, keeps everyone home from worrying.

I'd much rather have someone texting at a shelter that talking. Also there are times when a text will get out on a weak signal that would make talking impossible.

plus texting is incredibly efficient, comparing transmission of a few ascii characters to digitized audio. it's kind of ridiculous they charge extra for it.