PDA

View Full Version : Benton Makaye (AT shakedown) thru hike

Diamond Diggs
11-06-2009, 16:38
Hey. planning on doing a thru hike or section hike on the BMT in early december as a shake down run for upcoming AT thru in march. Anyone interested?

Dood
11-09-2009, 08:13
I'll be out there. Amicalola Dec 01.
Where are you going to re-supply after Ducktown?
Do you have mail drop planned at Coker Creek?
That section appears "thin" for re-supply - did I miss something.

Tipi Walter
11-09-2009, 12:19
Let me know if you're in my neck of the woods, between Unicoi Gap/Coker Creek to Slickrock Creek and Lake Calderwood.

wisenber
11-09-2009, 23:31
Let me know if you're in my neck of the woods, between Unicoi Gap/Coker Creek to Slickrock Creek and Lake Calderwood.

I might be able to meet you in that area too. You will be able to distinguish Tipi from me. Our overall weight is about the same. His is mostly pack, and mine is mostly me.

Diamond Diggs
11-10-2009, 13:37
thats funny wisenber. cool! im glad to know there will some folks around. Dood! Are you planning to hike the entire trail in dec. I was considering going north to south, being that I am heading out on the AT in march (thinking I could just pick up where I left off in dec.) but if you dont mind some company... I would not mind changing directions for the sake of knowing there will be someone else around-you know what I mean?

wisenber
11-11-2009, 12:37
The BMT is quite a shakedown. It's a bit different than the AT in a couple of significant ways.
1.) The blazings are not as well marked and map reading is more critical.
2.) Resupply is not as easy as the AT. The access to towns is not as easy and some of the distances are longer than most of the southern AT.

I've been on sections of the BMT in Winter and not seen another soul for three days.

Diamond Diggs
11-11-2009, 15:32
yeah. im not sure if time will allow me to do the entire mbt. but I have two or three weeks to go at it. Not sure how long it takes most to complete the 288.