PDA

View Full Version : April 15 Start Date

Speakeasy
11-06-2009, 16:50
Hi - I'm planning on leaving for my NOBO thru hike on or about April 15th 2010. I'm wondering if I should start with my winter bag (Marmut Helium) and if I should bring my Cap 3's or silkweight baselayer. I guess I'm asking about what kind of weather I might expect in the Southern Appalachians. I'm carrying a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and I don't want to weigh it down with unnecessary clothing. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Speakeasy

paintplongo
11-06-2009, 17:27
I started April 19th and didn't need any of that stuff. I started with a WM 35* bag and finished with the same one on October 6th.

max patch
11-06-2009, 17:52
Marmut Helium is a 15 degree bag, right? If so, then I'd take it to start off with.

I left May 1 and had a couple of very cold nights in Georgia with a 20 degree bag and sleeping with long johns and fleece. Even had snow flurries in the GSMNP.

Hard to tell what the weather will be.

Speakeasy
11-06-2009, 17:58
Ok, how about 15 degree bag, silkweight baselayer, fleece and windshirt? I know the weather is unpredictable so I want to be prepared but I don't want to over do it - any and all opinions are welcome ;)

hikingshoes
11-06-2009, 18:16
Hey Speakeasy,
How is it going?Im looking at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail after the hang last weekend and one of my friends pack was 18oz and thats with 3days food/water.LOL,after i weight my pack(only)and it was 5lbs and i LOVE my hammock.Good to see you and good luck on your hike.Charles
Hi - I'm planning on leaving for my NOBO thru hike on or about April 15th 2010. I'm wondering if I should start with my winter bag (Marmut Helium) and if I should bring my Cap 3's or silkweight baselayer. I guess I'm asking about what kind of weather I might expect in the Southern Appalachians. I'm carrying a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and I don't want to weigh it down with unnecessary clothing. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Speakeasy

dragonfeet
11-06-2009, 20:47
I think you will be fine with what you are taking. I left mid april a couple years ago with 15 bag, polys, and fleece. on the colder nighs i was just fine.

garlic08
11-06-2009, 21:23
Yes, that sounds good. I started April 4 last year with my Helium and needed it until mid-May. I had some nights in the teens with snow in late April in the Smokies and on Mt Rogers. The Helium is an excellent bag, it will serve you very well in the Southern Appalachians and it won't weigh you down at all.

As long as you keep the bag dry, I don't think you'll need any more clothing than you've listed. If you get too cold, you can get in the bag, but if you keep moving you won't get too cold. I hiked through two blizzards on the AT with about what you listed there, and slept fine in the Helium.

Blissful
11-06-2009, 22:21
Usually you dont switch out of cold weather gear until mid May. We've had sleet in southern VA in mid May. You have the Smokies and Roan balds. Also depends if you're a cold sleeper or not.

stranger
11-12-2009, 06:21
You can unzip and vent a bag if you're warm, if you are cold more clothing will not necessarily help. For me, more clothing does not work, ever. Some will tell you otherwise, but I would always go conservative when thinking about staying warm at night, when you need to sleep!

buz
11-12-2009, 09:21
another vote for the helium and the silk weights. I am also in the club of not having much clothes on for sleep warmth. I have silk "jammies" and really like them, along with hat and sleeping socks, that is all I wear to bed, at the most. That is a nice bag, and really not heavy. Y chance a really cold night, which will happen a couple of times, no doubt.

I am a believer in having a little overkill on the bag, rather then the other way around. Way more simple to be hot than trying to get that way.

white_russian
11-12-2009, 09:28
If you already have the Helium then go ahead and take it. Its not going to weigh that much more than a summer bag and its a great insurance policy in case it does get cold. I wouldn't go out an buy one for this situation, but if you have it on hand you might as well carry it for about a month and never have to worry.

Jeff
11-12-2009, 10:01
Cannot comment on bags...there is so much variation person to person.

But, you are leaving Springer at a perfect time weatherwise. You will avoid most of the bad snowstorms and really enjoy springtime in the south.

The Phoenix
11-12-2009, 11:30
It is the perfect time... you will be riding Spring up the north like a surf board... enjoy the ride!!

You will be able to hit Trail Days right on the dot leaving at that time... cruise through the pink tunnels on the trail... and you don't have a TERRIBLE crowd... still a crowd... but nothing I imagine like a month before that.

Enjoy it all!