PDA

View Full Version : Question re YACC alcohol stove & Everclear.

rustyb
08-17-2004, 17:14
I made a YACC stove but have not been able to achieve the wonderful results others have had. It's been a while since I tested it & I didn't take written notes. However, what I do remember is that the boil times were longer than others reported & it took more fuel as well.

At the time, after adjusting & readjusting the stove numerous times, I came away wondering if perhaps my chosen fuel was the culprit, or at least part of it. Due to my desire to abstain from the use of toxins when ever possible, I chose Everclear as my fuel choice. It is however only 75% alcohol. I have read that there are some brands of grain alcohol, which are 95%. Being in a state that prohibits the sale of this kind of alcohol, it's difficult for me to shop & compare so have yet to obtain other brands to try.

Is it possible that my 75% Everclear isn't potent enough to achieve the results others have had with denatured alcohol & Heet or should I just keep making stoves & experimenting?

BTW. Everclear, as I have found, is a pricey fuel choice so I'm hoping to get a good burning YACC stove figured out soon.

Thanks,
r

hiker5
08-17-2004, 17:43
Sounds like you've got some weak Everclear. I've seen 151 proof Everclear for sale, but I think most people think of the full-powered stuff ( something like 195 -198 proof) when you say Everclear. So you can get a stronger Everclear.

OR you can just stop by the hardware store and pick up some denatured alcohol from the paint department for much, cheaper. I would recommend giving this a try first. This will also have a higher alcohol content than what you have been using.

Let us know how it works out.

rgarling
08-18-2004, 08:14
You need to have fuel with more than 75% alcohol. The denatured alcohol you buy in paint stores is safe to use as stove fuel.

Steve W
08-18-2004, 13:06
I just made one of these stoves and I use 200 proof pure ethanol. It works real well. As it has been said before, you need a higher alcohol content.

highway
08-18-2004, 15:33
I just made one of these stoves and I use 200 proof pure ethanol. It works real well. As it has been said before, you need a higher alcohol content.

200 proof = 100% pure alcohol

Everclear, at 153 proof, is only 76.5% alcohol and is not practical as a stove fuel because it uses too much of it for too long. The other 23.5% is probably water.

hiker5
08-18-2004, 19:14
As I mentioned earlier, you can find Ever clear at a higher concentration (depending on where you live). Here is a blurb i grabbed from the web. (http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc494.html)

Everclear is a pure grain alcohol. The brand, produced by David Sherman Corporation, comes in two strength bands, both 95% (190 proof), and 75.5% (151 proof) bottles. Although, the 95% is undeniably the most popular and most available type.

Many of the US provinces have made it illegal to buy Everclear and it's very uncommon to see the most potent of the Everclear products sold outside of America.

And it's for good reason too. Everclear is incredibly potent and should be used strictly and responsibly. Don't drink it straight!

EDIT: But I would still recommend just getting some denatured alcohol from the paint department of the hardware store.

SGT Rock
08-18-2004, 19:30
190 proof is available at the local Class VI, but it is too expensive for stove fuel. Denatured Alcohol at abuot $3 a quart is much more efficient.

Dances with Mice
08-18-2004, 22:00
...snip... Due to my desire to abstain from the use of toxins when ever possible, I chose Everclear as my fuel choice.

Using 25% water in your fuel is one way to reduce 'toxins', I suppose, but would you also fill the gas tank of your car with a quarter tank of water at every fill-up then complain that your car is not getting good mileage?

Which toxins are you attempting to abstain from?

scburleson2003
08-18-2004, 23:52
I don't know much about this type of stove, and was wandering, besides price, is it better than other stoves?

rgarling
08-19-2004, 08:03
"it better than other stoves?"

it works ok, and you can build it in about 5 minutes. Try it and see if you like it.

http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/YACCS/index.htm

rustyb
08-19-2004, 10:59
Dances with Mice wrote:

"Which toxins are you attempting to abstain from"?

All that I practically can. And more specifically, in this case, methyl ethyl ketone, methanol, and methyl acetate.

Check out the label on the next can of denatured alcohol you see. Will a little of this stuff kill me? Well, no but it won't make me any healthier either so I see no need to expose myself to it if I don't have to. Just my philosophy:-)

ga>me>ak
08-19-2004, 11:36
I used the 190 proof for my soda can stove and it worked fine. Was able to cook Lipton Rice, and boil some shrimp with no problems. You can also use it for a nightcap, it's just expensive as a fuel.However, you get a duel purpose fuel and can eliminate a bootle/liquid.

Dances with Mice
08-19-2004, 12:51
Check out the label on the next can of denatured alcohol you see. Will a little of this stuff kill me? Well, no but it won't make me any healthier either so I see no need to expose myself to it if I don't have to. Just my philosophy:-)

I'm familiar with the contents of denatured alcohol. If it's a cause of that much concern, then alcohol stoves may not be appropriate for you. Other fuel choices are various propane blends, kerosene, gasoline, white gas, various compressed solid fuels, and wood. How would you rank them in order of toxicity?

rustyb
08-19-2004, 14:04
Dances with Mice,

I just assumed you weren't familiar with the things in denatured alcohol as you asked, "Which toxins are you attempting to abstain from"?

"How would I rank the other fuels in order of toxicity" you ask. I'm not a chemical engineer so I don't know. However, if something is potable (i.e. Everclear) and it can be used satisfactory (as others stated if it's 200 proof) then I will use that. I mean, why not? Sure it's pricey but to me, that's secondary. And I have used the others you speak of. I'm just experimenting with alcohol as an alternative for my needs.

To some, my concerns with using man made chemicals are unfounded. There is so little known about how various chemicals accumulate in and affect the body though. There is however no denying the fact that cancer rates are the highest ever. And that is something I choose not to ignore. On top of that, I watched my sister die a terrible death due to cancer in 1999. So, I abstain from their use at every opportunity. To each their own I guess:-)

Thanks for your input.

Dances with Mice
08-19-2004, 14:53
Ethanol is also a toxin that some people choose to refrain from using.

highway
08-20-2004, 07:04
Ethanol is also a toxin that some people choose to refrain from using.

Now there's a horrible thought!! :D