PDA

View Full Version : Ocala NF- advice welcome

rampli
11-07-2009, 13:50
I am making a trip to Ocala NF in December

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on itinerary?

I regularly hike 15-20 miles/day on the AT in VA so I may need more than just Ocola to satisfy my need to hike.

I've got about 10 days and will be flying into Orlando.

I plan to try the Lynx (public transit) to the Sanford area where I'll overnight at a hotel and then begin my hike across town to the FT and head North.
Haven't decided on a Northern terminus yet. My wife will be picking me up and I plan to provide her with several likely pickup points with GPS coordinates.

Rampli

Dogwood
11-07-2009, 15:30
Take time to visit some of the warm springs(several to chose from) in the vicinity and definitely look for the albino Gray squirrels(white fur and pink eyes).

BumpJumper
11-09-2009, 21:43
You will have to look me up when you get in the Juniper/Alexander area. Me and two of my friends are trail angels for the FT.
Dawn

Gray Blazer
11-09-2009, 22:26
See ya on the FT.

rampli
11-11-2009, 08:13
The itinerary is starting to come together... Starting at Lake Mary, FL on 12/5

I'll probably take at least one zero day at one of the established recreation areas. Any suggestions? I'd thought about renting a canoe and paddling around a bit. These warm springs that Dogwood mentioned are swimmable? I will be missing my hot tub by day 3.

I would also like information about a maildrop to the 88 Store. Would the store be receptive to this idea? Has anyone done this? I've got the phone number and mailing address.

The FT and NF websites indicate that camping is only allowed at "designated" camping areas during hunting season. Obviously this includes the established campgrounds that involve a fee. Are there other designated areas that might be free? Are reservations going to be needed? I'm planning to trailside camp in the Juniper Wilderness (hunting prohibited) one night.

rampli

Slo-go'en
11-11-2009, 10:42
I spent a couple days hiking in Ocala once. It was definately different! Was a lot like walking on the beach, without the benifit of having the ocean next to you. The trails I was on were all white sand. Water from the pumps at the campground was warm and tasted like salt. No shade to speak of, bring a sun hat. Wear some orange if its hunting season!

Gregg
11-11-2009, 11:01
It has been awhile since I was in Ocala. I used to camp in the northern area. If I remember correctly, you may have to cache water in some of the areas. Also, don;t let being in FL fool you, it can get quite cool. It is now gun hunting season, and I agree with the last post, wear SAFETY ORANGE if you decide to go. I personally would stay out of Ocala NF during gun season.

rampli
11-11-2009, 19:59
Hmm. I'm not much of a beach person even with the ocean...

It is hunting season but I hike during deer seaon the NF up here. It cant't be much different. I do have a blaze pack cover and vest which will be worn at all times.

thanks guys.
rampli

Evil Eye
11-14-2009, 18:04
Hiked the Ocala NF last December. Hike was a good one & we had a great weahter week - very well marked trail - several blow downs but all were passable - many THANKS to the FT Maintainers for the great trail condition - 88 Store is a real good stop with BBQ, beer (now closed on TU & WE vs Monday as noted in FT guide), laundry & showers - very limited resupply at both Juniper Springs (where you can rent boats & swim) and the 88 store. I'd suggest a mail drop to the 88 store - a correctable if I re-hike this section.

Water pump was NOT working @ Hopkins Prarie trailhead - can use the "sink hole" (visible east of trail about a 1/2 mile south of the campground.) Pump did work @ Buck Lake CG & Lake Delancy CG. We did carry more water farther than we did on the AT in order to have potable water vs from the praries/lakes - but the moderate temps and elevations helped that not be the chore it is on the AT.

Only saw two other hikers - both on the last day - the 6 days we hiked. Did see a bear & her cub - but the wildlife highlight was seeing 2 Bald Eagles.

Do wear Blaze Orange if hunting season is still open - saw many deer hunters (and all were polite.)

We ended at the Rodman campground - Had planned several more miles but blisters convinced us to stop 13 miles short. My memory is that there were several other road options past the spillway at reasonable intervals.

Knocky
11-30-2009, 21:30
I was hunting north of FR 10 where the trail crosses, this past weekend. I only saw one hiker. I gave him all the water he could carry, gave him two Mountain House meals, a fuel canister and hauled away all his trash. He was amazed at how difficult walking in that sand can be. I will be camping and hunting the weekend of Dec 4 to 6, and 11 to 13. Hope to run into some of y'all. I am an elderly gent, sorta fat with a bald head and full beard. If I am driving, it will be in the old 1988 white Toyota 4Runner. As was mentioned, WEAR YOUR ORANGE during hunting season.

MedicineMan
12-01-2009, 00:10
Bumpjumper is the expert on these matters but since you will be so close to the Juniper Springs Run--and yes you can rent a boat in the park-you'd be remiss in not doing the run-it is abs. beautiful!

BumpJumper
12-11-2009, 10:17
Hey Med Man...I am not the expert but I am always willing to help out.
I have not heard from him though.

Anyone have any news on the trip?

michael rowlands
07-11-2010, 22:23
Hello. I live in the Ocala national forest area about 3 miles from Hopkins Prarie. This trail is easy and 15 mpd is easy. However 10 mpd you could actually see something. There are several lakes through Ocala National forest and I fish the wilderness alot. Water is plentyful but lake water is the norm so filter is a must. I have hiiked the A.T. twice and rarely filter that water but I always filter here because there are few springs on the trail unless it is a real big spring such as Juniper, Alexander or Salt Springs. Remember if you hike in fFlorida you will need to camp in designated areas since you will be in the Deer season. It is illegal to camp anywhere in the forest during general gun. However there is ulimited camping in the Wilderness area since it is closed to hunting year round. . I can answer any questions on getting here if need be. If you have ten days you could start down near Wekiva Springs which is near Sanford or Orlando. You could easily get to Wekiva. It is actually near Apopka. City busses are able to stop at the entrance. It would be 125 miles or so so 10 days you could go up to Rodman Resivoir to get off. There is a campground there and they have phones. I have hiked this area many times and you will not get much cell service around the forest either. November weather is moderate but a frost could be had in this area in November. Normally it is 75-80 during the day and 40 - 50 at night. This area has the largest consentration of Florida black bear too and you will encounter them if you walk quietly. They are harmless though. I will not ramble on but if you need help please ask. Mike Rowlands aka Rowmin Goat. [email protected]

BumpJumper
07-25-2010, 10:19
Mike, we will have to hook up for a hike when it cools off.

Knocky
08-15-2010, 17:33
I hiked Juniper Springs to Pat's Island this past week. Weather was HOT, but with a good full brim hat, and lots of water, it was not too bad.
I did not see anyone on the trail.
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/Knocky/Knocky%202010/JuniperWilderness.jpg

GeneralLee10
08-15-2010, 17:56
How were the trail conditions? My Buddy WildMan will be here soon and I was wanting to hike some of the forest if not all of it. If some that is the section I will choose.

Knocky
08-19-2010, 17:30
Conditions were great. Temp was about 94 that day, with a humidity of 50%+. That makes for some enervating heat.
Good hat, lots of water, pacing yourself works, as always.

Conditions on another section, north of CR 316 were much better. More shade, less direct sun.

The trail itself is in good condition. There were quite a few downed trees though, but nothing that would slow you down.

Sandy as the dickins through the Juniper Wilderness, but y'all know that. :p

Gray Blazer
08-19-2010, 21:48
Another Hogtown Hiker. :cool:

Maybe we'll run into each other one day. We'll prolly be having another get together this Jan. Some of the guys want to have it on the FT on the Suwannee. The Summit of Devil's Mountain might be a good place. What say you, Chief Duffy?

Knocky
08-20-2010, 17:41
There are quite a number of us 'trail rats' that live in and around the Gainesville area.

A get together would be fun, and I am sure I'd learn a lot as well.

Today, I was hiking Etoniah State Forest. Similar, yet very different from Ocala NF.
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/Knocky/Knocky%202010/Etoniah2.jpg

Dogwood
08-20-2010, 17:57
If you have time and are in the vicinity check out some of the many outrageous springs in the area for a quick swim.