PDA

View Full Version : What section to hike given 3 months?

bwjacobs
11-07-2009, 18:46
(Long time lurker, first time poster...)

I've been planning on doing a 2010 thru for a while, but due to health issues my partner probably won't be able to make it, and due to the economy I'm getting a bit worried about leaving my job; however, I can probably take a three month leave and come back to work, so...

If you had 3 months to hike any part of the trail, what/when would you do? Since I don't know when I'd be able to get back on the trail to do the other half, I'm thinking of doing Harpers Ferry northbound since Katahdin seems to make for a good mental finish.

Disappointed to be making back-up plans, but I'd rather do something than nothing...

rambunny
11-07-2009, 19:42
Like your plan. Do you want to see alot of people or not? If not start at H.F. somewhere around April-May head north. If you do start there and head south same time. Wish you well no matter which direction.You are doing more than most people dream of.

Blissful
11-07-2009, 20:55
Go SOBO from Maine down or - like you said, HF to ME. Best and toughest part of the trail - you get it out of the way the rest is smooth sailing to finish up another year.

Agree with your plan.

Ramble~On
11-07-2009, 23:18
If I had three months and could start anytime that I wanted to....:-?

I'd start from Delaware Water Gap in July and take my sweet time smelling the roses. I'd spend plenty of time swimming and relaxing and I'd pick and choose the right days to hike the "highlights"..meaining I'd only hike Washington when it was clear...etc.
Take the time to explore the blue blazes..Gulf Hagas etc.

CrumbSnatcher
11-07-2009, 23:28
always liked the southern half of the trail a little more:sun

Slo-go'en
11-08-2009, 12:52
Since you live in SC, doing the south in short trips would be reasonable, without loosing too much time traveling back and forth. So, I'd do the north for the long trip. Select your starting point / departure time so that your hiking Maine in September, finishing around Oct 1st. As Ramble~on suggested, starting at the Delaware Water Gap early July would give you pleanty of time to take it easy and skip the druggery of PA.

fredmugs
11-09-2009, 10:39
If you plan to eventually do the entire trail then I would start at one end or the other. Lots of people seem to get worn down in the Whites heading north. You don't want to start at Harpers and not be able to get all the way to Katahdin and then have to get back up there to finish.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2009, 11:04
There are a myriad of options for you. Some governing factors are (1) your preference for the presence of other hikers and/or companions vs. relative solitude (not true solitude, that's nigh impossible for most seasons on the AT); (2) your tolerance for weather extremes i.e. do you prefer cool weather hiking or are you paranoid about cold, can you handle heat & humidty, what about bugs, namely mosquitos and black flies; (3) your physical conditioning especially aerobics.

Personally with a continuous 3 month block of time, I'd start at Springer April 1 and experience the beautiful Southern Appalachian spring but of course, you'll also have some cold nights and perhaps even snow in NC. If you can't handle some cold, bump it up to a month later (May 1) or start at Harpers Ferry (or Pine Grove Furnace or Duncannon) and hike south. The more northerly start may seem counter intuitive but at those lower elevations you're not likely to have snow or extreme cold (yeah, I know there's always some exceptions).

A NOBO July 1 start in the mid-Atlantic means you have reasonably easy trail (except for NY west of the Hudson) and reach NH and ME at the best times. The downside is your first month is miserably hot, humid, and mosquito-ridden.

In any case, good luck on your hike and your job situation.

garlic08
11-09-2009, 12:07
I know a few strong hikers who hiked the whole trail easily in less than four months, and a very few have done it three. If you're a goal-driven type and really get into the actual walking (rather than partying in towns, or reading Thoreau, or sitting in a shelter contemplating your navel, etc) you could see most of the AT in three months. Nowhere is it written that an AT thru hike must take six months.

The group of people you see on the AT is what really makes it unique, so in my opinion it's best to experience that. I'd suggest a NOBO in April and go as far as you can. It takes practically zero planning once you get used to trail life. It ain't exactly wilderness out there. Buy groceries as you go and roll with the punches.

jersey joe
11-09-2009, 13:15
I know a few strong hikers who hiked the whole trail easily in less than four months, and a very few have done it three.
I'd say start in GA on springer and hike north as far as you can get. What garlic is saying, completing the trail in 3months would be tough to do, but it is certainly possible if you are disciplined enough.

bwjacobs
11-09-2009, 13:26
Thanks for all of the recommendations and support guys- really helps a lot. A few answers to the questions asked so far...

Do you want to see alot of people or not?
No real preference here- I get that the social element is a really big part of the experience for a lot of people, but in I'm pretty happy being on my own.

do you prefer cool weather hiking or are you paranoid about cold, can you handle heat & humidty, what about bugs, namely mosquitos and black flies;
I grew up in Wisconsin and moved to the south after college- handle all ranges pretty well, but tend towards cooler hiking when possible. Bugs are a bigger problem than the weather...

your physical conditioning especially aerobics
In shape, but not crazy in shape (can't run a 5k without walking for a bit).

If you're a goal-driven type and really get into the actual walking (rather than partying in towns, or reading Thoreau, or sitting in a shelter contemplating your navel, etc) you could see most of the AT in three months.
This all started with that in mind- a goal. All of the other stuff is secondary to the experience of Doing Something... thanks for reminding me of that. Going to chat with my manager and see what my options are, but this might end up being the option I go with. After thinking about it, leaving however many miles left at the north end gives me something to back and get closure on later. Mentally to me Katahdin is "The End" and I think I'd like to leave that for last.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2009, 15:11
...... After thinking about it, leaving however many miles left at the north end gives me something to back and get closure on later. Mentally to me Katahdin is "The End" and I think I'd like to leave that for last.

I share this philosophy. I section hiked for 27 years randomly all over north and south (I lived near the Trail halfway point at the time) and decided hiking Maine and ending atop Katahdin (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2875) was much preferable over finishing at some obscure road crossing like some others have done. For me, it was the right decision.