PDA

View Full Version : Best Lightweight Knife for ThruHike

SunnyWalker
11-07-2009, 18:50
I have found it. It is lightweight. When you wear it as it was made to wear you can get to it easily without reaching into your pack. It will do all the jobs I could conceive of in a normal hike: cut food, cut rope, cut cheese, etc. It is the Buck Hartsook Neck Knife. I came across it accidently and it is a little humdinger. I have carried larger knives many times but have read many posts where posters talk about that is another area we can cut down on the weight we are carrying. Then they describe just what do we really, really use these knives, dream knives, rambo knives, multi-tool knives, etc., for? NOT MUCH! I know there are exceptions to this. I have come to a place where I had to agree. So I have been looking for a light knife. I think this is it. Look it up at buckknives.com and look for the Hartsook knife. :sun You can also see this little knife in action on YouTube. :banana

ShelterLeopard
11-07-2009, 20:33
Nice- looked it up, and I like it!

SunnyWalker
11-07-2009, 20:55
Thanks Shelter. I also like the KaBar Becker Necker knife. That might be a close second. It is heavier though.

winger
11-07-2009, 21:32
RAT cutlery Izula.

cruisaire
11-07-2009, 22:17
http://www.crkt.com/Ritter-RSK-Mk5

garlic08
11-07-2009, 23:37
The lightest, simplest tool I've found for the job is a single-edged razor blade in a plastic holder/scraper handle from a drug store or hardware store--about a dollar with five spare blades, weighs about an ounce. It's sharp enough for minor surgery. It carries safely and easily in a pocket. It's not that great for food prep, so I don't carry any food that needs to be prepped and I cut my cheese with the edge of my spoon.

Ramble~On
11-08-2009, 01:53
I don't know about "best" cause there are so many different knives out there. I carried a little Swiss Army knife with scissors and a small blade.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/swissarmyexpress_2079_28661666 (javascript:;) I rarely used it. For food, I used a plastic knife from a fast food place. 6 1/2 months 2100+ miles...I used this knife maybe 10 times.

Peaks
11-08-2009, 08:55
First, thanks for sharing your find.

But, no one piece of any gear is right for everyone. For example, my preference is the Leatherman Micra.

Cheers
11-08-2009, 09:01
"It is designed for wearing primarily around the neck for easy access."

That toggle looks like a little short. Just how close to the neck are we talking?

Scary.

Cheers

Seeker
11-08-2009, 09:32
you wear the sheath around your neck, not the knife itself... so you can quickly draw it. and you don't have to wear it from your neck. that short stump of cord on the handle doesn't matter. you can run a loop of something through the hole in the other end (of the sheath) and wear it as high or low as you like. make sense?

toegem
11-08-2009, 13:20
I sometimes carry a Case folder 1 7/8" blade weighs in at a little over 18 grams, but most of the time I'll just carry my Swiss Army knife it's has other uses so I'm able to rationalize carrying the extra oz.

Dances with Mice
11-08-2009, 13:41
Skidsteer turned me on to this one. (http://www.thekitchenstore.com/048002500456.html)

I'm sorry that it's not a sexy tactical knife or anything. But it does all sorts of knife stuff really well.

I modified it just by drilling a hole near the tip of the sheath so the sheath can be flushed clean and a hole near the handle for a loop of string.

I've accumulated a few of them - one's in my backpack, another stays in my daypack. One's been hanging outside in my garden for a couple years, still shiny and sharp. One's in the lunch bag I take to work. There's a couple others hiding in various places like glove compartments and tool chests. They're sold at the local grocery store so I pick one up every now and then.

take-a-knee
11-08-2009, 15:12
Skidsteer turned me on to this one. (http://www.thekitchenstore.com/048002500456.html)

I'm sorry that it's not a sexy tactical knife or anything. But it does all sorts of knife stuff really well.

I modified it just by drilling a hole near the tip of the sheath so the sheath can be flushed clean and a hole near the handle for a loop of string.

I've accumulated a few of them - one's in my backpack, another stays in my daypack. One's been hanging outside in my garden for a couple years, still shiny and sharp. One's in the lunch bag I take to work. There's a couple others hiding in various places like glove compartments and tool chests. They're sold at the local grocery store so I pick one up every now and then.

Sold at what grocery store? That looks like a useful tool.

Spokes
11-08-2009, 15:15
I don't know about "best" cause there are so many different knives out there. I carried a little Swiss Army knife with scissors and a small blade.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/swissarmyexpress_2079_28661666 (javascript:;) I rarely used it. For food, I used a plastic knife from a fast food place. 6 1/2 months 2100+ miles...I used this knife maybe 10 times.

Ramble On is dead on! You don't need more than that on the AT.

Dances with Mice
11-08-2009, 15:39
Sold at what grocery store? That looks like a useful tool.Publix. The one near me has a kiosk near the entrance with Joyce Chen merchandise and other cooking supplies.

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2009, 16:17
Most hikers carry too much knife, as I did for many years.

A hiker knife has three primary uses:

*You'll use it often to cut blocks of hard cheese.
*You'll sometimes use it on pepperoni or salami
*Rarely, you'll need it to cut rope or parachute cord

That's pretty much it.

I love my Benchmark, just as I enjoyed its predecessors, from Gerber and Buck. I appreciate a good knife.

Next February tho, I'll probably be packing a folding single-blade from Wal-Mart. It's really light, it does everything I'll need it to do, it's easily replacable if lost, and it'll cost me around two bucks.

Funny thing.....on other thrads, you see people talking about the excessive expense of things like Trail maps. I wonder how many of these folks are carrying seventy dollar knives, fifty dollar flashlights, etc.

(Oh, and having a scissors along is also a nice thing, but I carry a razor blade in my first aid kit which suffices quite nicely).

Hooch
11-08-2009, 16:54
RAT cutlery Izula.Agreed, an excellent knife (http://www.ratcutlery.com/neck_knife.htm). I've had mine for nearly a year now and love it.

brooklynkayak
11-08-2009, 18:57
Mora(Frost) Make good light, cheap knives, for people who need more than a tiny folding pocket knife. If you cook on wood fires, they are great. If you lug stove fuel, you can get by on the tiniest of folding knives.

Panzer1
11-08-2009, 19:18
I don't believe that there is one "best" knife. There are many many very good knives for backpacking.

Panzer

take-a-knee
11-08-2009, 21:54
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/swissarmyexpress_2079_28661666 (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;) I rarely used it. For food, I used a plastic knife from a fast food place. 6 1/2 months 2100+ miles...I used this knife maybe 10 times.

Does the blade have a lock? If not, it is an accident waiting to happen.

cruisaire
11-10-2009, 15:55
http://sogknives.com/store/micron.html

At 0.5 oz., one of my tiny, lightweight favorites.

SunnyWalker
11-10-2009, 19:34
I hoep you took my original comments about "best" knife for backpacking in that I meant for me, not for everyone. Carrying a knife when hiking has always been s must for me. I have evolved over time from big knives to smaller, then folding knives. Used a swiss army knife with siccors latest. But with getting lighter I feel that for me this Hartsook or a similar one is ideal. Now, all the knives here mentioned look great! I for one don't want one in my pocket, and so lately that meant stopping and getting it out of my pack. SO . . . this avoids that. So here is my personal ones I like and the list has changed a bit since first post: Buck Hartsook, Buck Kaala, KBar Becker Necker, and that Rat one mentioned earlier in someones post. I began this because I enjoy knives and talking about them. However, I have a lot to learn about them.

wheatus
11-11-2009, 20:21
RAT Izula

great knife with a great warranty

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 20:26
Ramble On is dead on! You don't need more than that on the AT.

Spokes and Ramble on - Its ok to disagree with you on this - a nail file is not a knife. If I need to remove bark from small wet kindling this toy you suggest is going to get dull and bend fast. I have posted this several times as I owned two of these in the past.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 20:31
The lightest, simplest tool I've found for the job is a single-edged razor blade in a plastic holder/scraper handle from a drug store or hardware store--about a dollar with five spare blades, weighs about an ounce. It's sharp enough for minor surgery. It carries safely and easily in a pocket. It's not that great for food prep, so I don't carry any food that needs to be prepped and I cut my cheese with the edge of my spoon.

Walmart in the hunting section now has a UL razor replacement knife and others that ul and have more carbon in the blade.... They are light and UL and inexspensive.

mrhughes1982
11-11-2009, 20:42
I got this one for my trip and think it's pretty handy since it has two uses.

http://www.irawoods.com/Kershaw-1003-National-Geographic-Mini-Carabiner-Jeeva

doodah man
11-11-2009, 20:58
As others have said, knives are a subject to personal preferences. Over the years, I have mostly used three different knives. Those three are: (1) Spyderco Jester, 2" blade, 0.6oz. (2) US made version of the Shcrade SP2 "Raider", 2.3" blade, 0.7 oz. and (3) Zippo 7050 2.3" blade 1.0 oz. I think the Zippo was made by Case and is sort of nice because it was available with a bright orange zytel handle making it tougher to lose. The Spyderco definitely takes and holds a better edge, but all three have served me very well. I have picked up both the Zippo and Schrade on E-bay for less than $10 each. The Spyderco was more expensive at around $25. doodah-man

SunnyWalker
11-11-2009, 22:34
Wow, the Ritter RSK MkS is neat. So is the Izula knife. These are lightweight neck knives. I like that. I have been carrying my knife in my pack. And so that is inconvenient at times. The neck knife sure solves that. The sheaths for these neck knives are pretty good looking. I have changed my mind from the Hartsook to the Becker Necker. One reason is the sheath is more substantial as well as a nice sized little knife. Plenty knife for me. I don't know if Id like the "carabiner knives"?? What if you need both right then? Is it really a strong biner? Well, I guess I can answer that, strong enough for anything you need. A biner like that is not meant for anything like climbing, just hanging stuff on the pack and ones self. I might look one over, but how do you handle it (?) is my question. Looks awkward.

Spokes
11-11-2009, 23:13
Spokes and Ramble on - Its ok to disagree with you on this - a nail file is not a knife. If I need to remove bark from small wet kindling this toy you suggest is going to get dull and bend fast. I have posted this several times as I owned two of these in the past.

Now seriously, everyone knows good grooming habits wins out over "removing bark from small wet kindling".

take-a-knee
11-12-2009, 01:59

Yes, but it isn't a knife. Be wary of taking advice from people afflicted with golite-itis like Garlic:D A man should carry a knife whether he's hiking or not.

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 12:01
I am a HUGE fan of carrying knives. I'll downsize a bit for my thru this year, but on two- three week long hikes I usually carried: my leatherman, (a tiny bit heavy, but has ALWAYS been used), a four inch blade individual folding knife (pocket knife with no additional features), a knife on my folding campmor silverware set and sometimes even a swiss army. Just because I love knives.

But now (that I've switched to a lightweight spork), I'm planning carry my leatherman and I was going to take the folding knife, but I may look into the kitchen knife that was recommended here...

I may even abandon the leatherman and stick to just the one simple knife this year, if I find I'm not using if for the first couple weeks...

mister krabs
11-12-2009, 12:11
I also use the Joyce Chen knife for most things, picked it up at publix. I carry a swiss army classic for the scissors and nail care.

Don H
11-12-2009, 12:19
I carry the Leatherman Squirt S4, I like to carry a good pair of scissors.

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/keychain-tools/squirt-s4.aspx

Jester2000
11-12-2009, 13:27
Thanks Shelter. I also like the KaBar Becker Necker knife. That might be a close second. It is heavier though.

But it has a much more funny name to say, and that's important in a knife.

A hiker knife has three primary uses:

*You'll use it often to cut blocks of hard cheese.
*You'll sometimes use it on pepperoni or salami
*Rarely, you'll need it to cut rope or parachute cord

That's pretty much it.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jack on the too much knife thing. Remember Monsterfrog in 2000, who started out with 3 knives, including a K-Bar in a pull-down sheath? Haha! He got rid of the two heaviest at Neels. But there is one more thing you might need a knife for -- cutting tape on packages at the PO. Some of my friends mail me stuff with so much tape on it that it seems they are trying to prevent something inside from escaping.

As others have said, knives are a subject to personal preferences. Over the years, I have mostly used three different knives. Those three are: (1) Spyderco Jester, 2" blade, 0.6oz.

Holy crap! Spyderco makes a blade called a "Jester?!?" I have found my next knife . . .

ShelterLeopard
11-12-2009, 13:38
Some of my friends mail me stuff with so much tape on it that it seems they are trying to prevent something inside from escaping.

Hmm... judging by the thread you started about what some people have sent you , I can hardly be surprised that they have to seal the boxes really well! :D

Alligator
11-12-2009, 14:05
I have been using a Leatherman Micra for a few years now after switching from a bigger Leatherman (PST II I think it was.) However, I don't like cutting food with it and I don't like that it isn't a fixed blade either so I just picked up the Harstook knife with a gift certificate I was given. Since it is so light I will simply add it to my pack and keep the Micra as well, I like having the scissors.

SunnyWalker
11-12-2009, 23:20
Yeah, one can't complain about the weight of a Hartsook. How do you like the sheath it came with? Have you hung it around your neck yet? Does it come with a little carabiner thingy? The Buck Smidgen did and I took it off. Without the biner it all lays flat and I can work at day without noticing it.

Alligator
11-12-2009, 23:38
Comes in the mail tomorrow, I will let you know.

SunnyWalker
11-14-2009, 22:05
Thanks Alligator. I am going to pick up the Becker Necker in Amarillo on Monday. It'll be nice to compare and all.

Del Q
11-15-2009, 09:19
I purchased a lightweight Kershaw knife through Backpacking Light. Always accessible, lightweight, hang it on the outside of my pack, best knife so far.

mr. dribbles
11-15-2009, 09:25
I have the Buck neck knife- not recommended. You run a serious risk of cutting yourself trying to pull it out one-handed. For SAR, I use the Cold Steel Super Edge (http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/coldsteel/images/42SSxyz.jpg). It's become the only knife I carry on most backpack trips. The thing is scary sharp.

Grinder
11-15-2009, 10:03
I made one of these:
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

It fits inside my cooking pot.

I bought a MORA in the smallest size available (4 1/2 in.blade) but found I almost never used it. So I left it home.

toegem
11-15-2009, 11:45
Snip-
I made one of these:
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

It fits inside my cooking pot. That's total ingenious, I'm on my way out to the garage to make one or maybe a couple and give them to some friends.

Thanks for the link Grinder

SunnyWalker
11-16-2009, 18:35
That would be an advantage by using the Kersaw. If you chose to hang it on the outside of your pack. It would be available. More so then inside the pack. I picked up the Becker Necker today. It is not in the class of the Hartsook, definitely heavier and more knife. A good balance for me, I think. I like that it is a neck knife. When I hike I like a knife "on me". The sheath is much more substantial then the Hartsook. But then, it IS a larger knife. I have ruled out "boot knives". Anyone use these, in backpacking? How about behind the neck, on the upper back-attack or tactical type of knives? You know, to fight off the natives while on the trail?!??

Jester2000
11-17-2009, 11:07
That would be an advantage by using the Kersaw. If you chose to hang it on the outside of your pack. It would be available. More so then inside the pack. I picked up the Becker Necker today. It is not in the class of the Hartsook, definitely heavier and more knife. A good balance for me, I think. I like that it is a neck knife. When I hike I like a knife "on me". The sheath is much more substantial then the Hartsook. But then, it IS a larger knife. I have ruled out "boot knives". Anyone use these, in backpacking? How about behind the neck, on the upper back-attack or tactical type of knives? You know, to fight off the natives while on the trail?!??

I once had to fight off a block of cheese.

Alligator
11-17-2009, 21:29
The Harstook finally came today. I had a gift card from Bass Pro shop, so I ordered the knife and a pie iron (for car camping). They sent the pie iron by Fed Ex:rolleyes: and the knife through the mail.

The sheath is a hard plastic with a tab at the end with a raised dot that fits inside a hole in the knife. It seems fairly secure, one might want to add a rubber band to it just in case if wearing around the neck. Someone mentioned using two hands to get it out. Well, don't use one hand to hold the tab while the other hand draws the knife. The knife is sharp:o.

The knife weights 0.41 oz and the sheath 0.33, so almost 3/4 oz.

It's about paring knife size, you could maybe poke someone's eye out with it.

LimpsAlong
11-18-2009, 08:58
Does the blade have a lock? If not, it is an accident waiting to happen.
I'm new to hiking, but knives? I know 'em. Used a knife since I was a kid. My dad's second job was as a muskrat trapper and the skinning job mostly fell to me. I cut myself a few times (12 yr old) getting used to the tool but never had the knife "fold up" on me while using it. I did have the knife fold up on me and cut me while I was playing with it but never while I was working. If you are using the knife in a way it was not designed to be used or use improper cutting methods expect to pay for it sooner or later. A lock back knife is a good safety device for someone who is not familiar with proper knife handling.
BTW, when hiking I carry a small, lightweight Buck knife with, oh well here I go, a lock back. I like the knife.

WasteLand
11-18-2009, 16:15
RAT cutlery Izula.

Agreed! Excellent knife

Schuetzen
11-18-2009, 17:48
I just saw an ad in Backpacker for a 125 th anniversary swiss army knife only $495.00. I may buy two one to use and a spare, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SunnyWalker
11-19-2009, 19:23
Thanks for the photos Alligator.